Author Topic: OEM Wireless charger retrofit?  (Read 3834 times)

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
OEM Wireless charger retrofit?
« on: 12 August 2020, 09:02 »
Anybody attempted this or got any opinions on it?
From what i’ve read and understood,Vw stopped this as an option due to the signal amplifier,with new cars that were specced with the wireless charging option requiring removal of the amp before delivery-is this correct?
If anybody has it fitted,is it any good?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: OEM Wireless charger retrofit?
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2020, 09:21 »
It was expensive to option and had the issue that wireless charging without wireless AA/ACP didn't make much sense vs the price point.

And yes, the signal amplifier had regulatory issues and was disabled on delivery of new cars at one point.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2020, 09:45 »
Fred-AA/ACP?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2020, 09:47 »
Android Auto and Apple Car Play.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2020, 11:09 »
I have it in my car, and yes, the amplifier section was disconnected prior to hand over.

One thing that not a lot of people realise about this system, is that it gets you two fully functioning USB ports. One in the forward cubby hole (as usual) but slightly lower profile, and another under the armrest with a small elasticated strap to stick a phone into. You can actually plug a phone into each (for example one android and one Iphone) and you then get the choice on screen as to which phone you want to use for App Connect and can switch between them.

As to the wireless part itself, works as advertised and charges both my Galaxy S20 and my work Iphone XR without issue (though obviously not as fast as my Samsung quick charger pad that I have at home and on my desk at work.

Just a shame that Android Auto and Apple Car Play isn't wireless like it is in the new BMW 1 and 3 series, but it's something I wouldn't' be surprised that the MK8 Golf will have as an option.

r
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2020, 12:16 »
The Mk8 definitely has wireless AA/ACP and wireless charging.

To be fair, wireless AA/ACP is a newish thing and requires different hardware on the MIB to make it work.

Even the Mk7.5's MIB predates the jump to wireless.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2020, 15:31 »
Cheers lads,looks like you need a few more bits besides the pad and wiring.
Sootchucker,is the front cubbyhole defo different to standard-with the lower profile USB port?

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2020, 16:38 »
Yes, the cubby is different as the USB section forgoes the Aux socket so that it can be a smaller intrusion (i.e. doesn't extend all the way down to the bottom of the cubby like the non wireless charging ones do.

This is because the pad is designed to have the phone inserted sideways (i.e. the width of the cubby), and a standard one wouldn't be wide enough for the charging mat and most phones to go sideways. I think the only part they will share will be the door and the trim cover.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2020, 17:13 »
Thanks for that,will look into what’s needed and weigh up if it’s worth it.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 12 August 2020, 17:27 »
There aren't really any other good wireless charging solutions available either (well for RHD anyway) - by "good" I mean mounting in the cubbyhole in the dash.

I guess without wireless AA/ACP most people didn't care....