Author Topic: Thermostat housing / Water pump / Coolant level.  (Read 5859 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: Thermostat housing / Water pump / Coolant level.
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2021, 18:05 »
You would like to think that any replacement part would be a revised version and should be good for the life of the car.

This is the one thing I'm keeping an eye on for my 2019 car... just asking, but is there any acceptable amount of coolant drop over time?  I noticed at my last service (year 2) the technician filled the coolant up over the max to the level of the where the seam is for the expansion bottle.

Just had it replaced on my car which is 2019 GTI PP at 26000 miles under warranty. It was a very slight leak from the thermostat housing and I mean very slight. I could only notice it looking at the expansion tank every 2 weeks or so.

I watch mine closely. I’ve found the level does vary a fair bit, presumably through air getting trapped somewhere. I think if it consistently drops I’d get it looked at
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline DanTornado

• Just got here
« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2021, 20:58 »
My 2017 7.5 is going in for a new thermostat housing this week, 44k miles.  Amazing how long a company can go without fixing a clear issue and avoiding a recall

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 16 June 2022, 10:28 »
In the USA there is a class action about water pumps that wants to extend the warranty on them to 8 years or 80k miles and be able to retrospectively claim for a repair and any other resulting engine damage. Seems to have been agreed I think. There must have been a lot of failures in UK as well judging by posts on this forum. Perhaps VW UK might look a bit more favourably at claims.- or may be not!
« Last Edit: 16 June 2022, 10:35 by joe6 »
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline dfm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2023, 17:06 »
Not worth a new thread but I am just on to VW to see if they will entertain a goodwill payment.

Timeline

Feb 2021: purchased 2015 GTI via approved used scheme. Has been serviced with VW according to service schedule
Feb 2023: used warranty finishes
May 2023: Car will not get to temperature. VW cannot book it until 15th. Local mechanic looks at it and advises the thermostat housing needs replacing according to the fault code and advice from a master tech.

Bill is £919.

Am I on my own with this? I have escated with VW customer care and the servicing dealer is calling me back tomorrow with respect to a goodwill payment.

The car is old now so will take it on the chin if needs be but will the goodwill offer be depending on VW themselves seeing it?

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 04 May 2023, 17:30 »
Not worth a new thread but I am just on to VW to see if they will entertain a goodwill payment.

Timeline

Feb 2021: purchased 2015 GTI via approved used scheme. Has been serviced with VW according to service schedule
May 2023: Car will not get to temperature. VW cannot book it until 15th. Local mechanic looks at it and advises the thermostat housing needs replacing according to the fault code and advice from a master tech.

Bill is £919.

Am I on my own with this? I have escated with VW customer care and the servicing dealer is calling me back tomorrow with respect to a goodwill payment.

The car is old now so will take it on the chin if needs be but will the goodwill offer be depending on VW themselves seeing it?

I think 50% towards cost would be a good result
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline dfm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 04 May 2023, 17:44 »

Timeline

Bill is £919.

I think 50% towards cost would be a good result

Warranty person is calling me tomorrow. 50% contribution would be amazing.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #16 on: 05 May 2023, 08:55 »
I think you'll be lucky to get anything... the part is a well known issue that most people would file under routine replacement and your car is 8 years old...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC