Author Topic: Mk2 Golf Gti 16V ground up rebuild  (Read 18243 times)

Offline Coakers

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk2 Golf Gti 16V ground up rebuild
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2019, 09:52 »
One of the things I've been itching to do was dissect the KR... because it sounded like it was about to spit every piston out of the block simultaneously. The restorer told me they were frightened of turning the ignition key when moving it in and out of the shop shortly before it was stripped!
So the dissection commenced, i had never done this before and found it immense fun. Especially when i discovered the offending item. Cast your eyes at the photos.

Conrod bearing no.4

How was it still running?

So the source of that was found. The pistons themselves had significant scouring also. The engine was undoubtedly toast.

Offline Coakers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2019, 10:03 »
Back to the underseal.
One angle grinder will get very hot very quickly so I advise using two.

Highly rated stuff this.

The Bilt Hamber range. Hydrate 80 rust killer/converter. Electrolux high zinc primer. Dynax s50 cavity wax. Dynax UC underbody wax and Bilt Hambers seam sealer.

This was by far the worst job on the car. Doing all this on your back is dire. Rotisserie next time.

I've also stripped and painted the subframe with POR15 around this time.

Heres a before and after on the subframe. The monza blue anti-roll bar has got to be worth at least a 15bhp increase right??

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2019, 19:46 »
Serious level of work/commitment going on here - thanks for sharing :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2019, 21:51 »
Excellent read - thanks
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Coakers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2019, 18:15 »
Thanks guys  :smiley: lots more to cover yet.

After using the dynex s50 in the cavities it was the seam sealing next.

Before turning my attention to the engine bay.

All the rust issues were already dealt with so I didn't need to worry about uncovering anything. Ive primed it with Electrox, its different from other primers because it... 'produces a surface film containing over 90% metallic zinc, once cured the tightly packed zinc particles establish an electronically conductive pathway enabling cathodic protection of the underlying steel'... Fancy ey?

Very happy with how it turned out. Considering it's a rattle can job.

Offline Coakers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 10 September 2019, 18:32 »
Threw the subframe, servo and replacement master cylinder on and the front suspension. Felt very good to start putting things back together.

Coilovers are AP.

Then started making the brake lines. Never done it before and making a full set from scratch was very daunting. I opted for kunifer as it they have anti corrosion properties but kunifer was a lot less malleable than copper.

Got my flaring tool from Vintage 65 via ebay.

New compensating valve.

Then the big moment came of chucking the ABF in.

:laugh:

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 11 September 2019, 11:35 »
Great work mate, love it, keep the updates coming

Please please please can you replace those rusty bolts you've used on the fuel tank though :laugh: I got a couple of stainless steel ones for pennies when I did mine

Offline Coakers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 11 September 2019, 20:35 »
Haha will do mate I'll be replacing most of the bolts that are in poor condition before it gets mot'd, cheers for the interest, the comments do genuinely help with motivation.

Next up is the grill.

Sanding down.

After stripping it I tried to remove the spotlight locating screws. 2 were rusted and the heads just stripped when i took a screwdriver to them. I had cut the back of the shroud to get them undone.

Then I had to mask the Gti stripe to paint it. What a pain that was.

But happy with the finished result

Offline Coakers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 11 September 2019, 20:46 »
We are now in around Dec 2018.
I was getting concerned about rust creeping back. So I had to reprime the shell. It was just etch primer. Tbh this was largely unnecessary if it was staying at the unit but as the unit was 25 mins away from my house and working up motivation was getting harder. Also my fiancee was expecting our first child together in Jan so plans were hatched to get the car on the drive so that meant..

And back home, for the first time in 2 years.

Don't do what I did and use a scotchbrite wheel to strip filler and paint because I later found out I warped the panels. Live and learnt  :undecided:

Offline Coakers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 11 September 2019, 22:03 »
Turned my attention to the fuel pumps, or more specifically the fuel pump casings. The brackets for these are brittle and the screws that retain the main fuel pump rust away completely making them nigh on impossible to remove. 2 of mine luckily came out by turning the drill to anti-clock and they whizzed out. The third one... Just never.

I tried to dremel a slice in the head so I could use a flat headed screwdriver but the head was just basically mush. Then it just broke off completely.

Leaving the stem of the screw. Very disheartened I was.

So I left it and bought another for £23.00. No you didn't read that wrong (usually these casings go for £100+) and it came with the accumulator and main fuel pump (which he said was knackard). The seller also said that his was leaking. Which I hope I've rectified by plastic welding the seam that goes around the diameter of the casing.

Furthermore the bracket that holds the Accumulator snapped when trying to remove it and unscrew the rusty bolt that holds it on. Soo I broke out the arildite and the miliput to fix it.. Ugly as sin I know but to utter some infamous words, it'll do.

Also a lick of paint never does any harm and a set of stainless steel (very expensive) fuel lines to finish the job.

I may buy a new bosch fuel pump as I've read they have a habit of seizing up when left without use for extended periods.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2019, 13:09 by Coakers »