Author Topic: GTD drinking fuel like a petrol car???  (Read 20499 times)

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
Re: GTD drinking fuel like a petrol car???
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2019, 21:18 »
My 17 GTD Wagon is okay on fuel, can get 400 miles plus on city driving and achieved nearly  600 on a full tank motorway run from Cornwall to Edinburgh. Eco mode makes little difference, honestly think it makes the car work harder as the power is higher up the rev range. Sport mode on the motorway sees it regularly get 59-60mpg best so far was 68mpg driving like a Saint. My friend has the 17 Tiguan and gets high 50s.
when you say you get 400 miles on city driving is that from the computer estimate or actual miles?

Offline doc house

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2019, 07:06 »
Actual miles I use my fuel card app to keep an accurate log of miles

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2019, 12:21 »
Hi, i have recently bought a 2016 golf GTD (DSG) i have notice the car sucks alot of fuel, i drive it on a daily basis to work £20 will prob last me 3 days in total my trip is 34 miles does this seem right or is it just me? I drive it in eco mode but i want to have more fun in it but if put it in normal mode then you can really see the needle move........ someone please help!!!!!!!!!!

We really need proper MPG figures, not that you put £X amount in the tank (which could be cheap supermarket or shell ultra fuel bought on the M25, with a huge price per litre variation) and drive Y miles.  What does the car computer say for the trip MPG, and the MPG since last fuelled? And tell us the type of journey, ie through town, A roads, motorway etc.

My GTI gets 40-47 on my journey to work, but drops to 30 on a short trip around town so the variation can be large, but the GTD should be very economical.
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline bodz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 18 July 2020, 15:35 »
I had this issue with my GTD 2015. Bought it on 66k and was getting 30's or even lower local. Motorway run it would be rare to get to 50's unless it was a long journey (1hr +) or else usually mid 40's.

Did a lot of research on fuels etc and I am trialling something with good returns.

Shell V-Power + Millers Power Eco Max - First fill - slightly improved figures but could be anything really
Shell Fuel Save Diesel + Millers Power Eco Max - 40's local and 52 MPG recorded consistently this week on an 8 mile motorway run.

It is slightly less MPG on the way to work and I am putting that down to cold start and low temp (of the car and the weather) 48 mpg when I park up at work.

Going to continue with Millers and fuel up here and there with premium diesels just to give a clear out of the engine and should over time improve MPG.

Eco and Normal modes don't make a difference. It's how heavy your foot is.
Sport mode does affect MPG as it's high revs before gear changes.
Individual mode I set to ECO but ACC on sport on the motorway.

(All in my humble opinion  :cool:)

Hope that helps.

Bodz

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 18 July 2020, 16:44 »
A very gentle throttle until the engine warms through helps  :wink:
2016 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 19 July 2020, 19:44 »
ninety mile round trip today (just under an hour each way), mainly motorway and dual carriageway... "normal" mode, 14C air temp and no more than 70mph running on ACC most of the way.... 61mpg.

40 mile trip the other day, 25C air temp, driving "spirited" in sport mode at *ahem* "no more than 70mph", 42mpg. (quite a lot of fun actually, nice to remind myself she can fly if you want to)

Manual Mk7.5 GTD, zero mods.

Other than crawling along in a giant traffic jam for short distances (sub 5 miles), from cold, in the cold (below about 7C) I think the worst I've ever managed in a Mk7.x GTD is 38mpg.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline bodz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 20 July 2020, 10:48 »
ninety mile round trip today (just under an hour each way), mainly motorway and dual carriageway... "normal" mode, 14C air temp and no more than 70mph running on ACC most of the way.... 61mpg.

40 mile trip the other day, 25C air temp, driving "spirited" in sport mode at *ahem* "no more than 70mph", 42mpg. (quite a lot of fun actually, nice to remind myself she can fly if you want to)

Manual Mk7.5 GTD, zero mods.

Other than crawling along in a giant traffic jam for short distances (sub 5 miles), from cold, in the cold (below about 7C) I think the worst I've ever managed in a Mk7.x GTD is 38mpg.

That's not bad. Mine being a DSG I guess its not bad if i'm slowly creeping back up to the mid 50's with a shot of Miller's.

My 3rd fuel up with Millers coming up soon so I'll try report back with proper mileage and pence per litre etc.

Bodz

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 20 July 2020, 11:37 »
I get similar 'mid 50's' on a relatively gentle motorway poodle, normal mid 30's around town. As has been said before you do need to take it easy when cold and of course these do take c. 5-10 miles to warm up dep on temp.
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline bodz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 26 July 2020, 12:20 »
Don't know if this helps but just did a 12 mile shopping run this morning from a cold start.

Outside temp 18c
12 miles in total [in fairly clear roads but inner city Birmingham so expect traffic lights and roundabouts]
Got 44.9 MPG

Running Shell Regular Diesel with Millers Power Ecomax.
It's definitely a lot better than what I was achieving before. Millers is doing me good. Might look out for a big 5 litre can if I can get a good deal.

I think it's also to do with carbon build up etc and cleaning it out regularly with V-power or BP ultimate here and there  (Every 4th/5th fill?) and then using millers has just helped with the regular diesel. Just my thoughts after listening and trialling what everyone on here has said.

Bodz

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 27 July 2020, 12:56 »
I only use random petrol station fuel.... nothing clever at all.

But I do a lot of miles, maybe you just needed to blow the cobwebs out a bit.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC