Author Topic: OEM Reverse Camera - VW Retrofit  (Read 14594 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Re: OEM Reverse Camera - VW Retrofit
« Reply #40 on: 05 October 2021, 12:41 »
So, as a 2021 update, does anyone have recent experience of trying to get an OEM retrofit camera?
Just asking for a friend!
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 05 October 2021, 13:07 »
Yep, I did it about 18 months ago. Very straight forward, it's very worth while considering if you want to install a Helix Sound system at the same time as it's the same install for 95% of it.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #42 on: 05 October 2021, 13:20 »
Thanks. My problem is I’m not a practical chap so wouldn’t attempt it myself. I did see somewhere in the past that someone got a dealer to do it for around £500 but maybe that was years ago.
My dealer shows no interest.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 05 October 2021, 15:41 »
Thanks. My problem is I’m not a practical chap so wouldn’t attempt it myself. I did see somewhere in the past that someone got a dealer to do it for around £500 but maybe that was years ago.

If you have VCD's or a phone coding system.

I'd just use an auto electrician then, the camera comes with instructions and is very very straight forward 1.5 hours to do, and they can make a good connection for power, be around what £45-65 an hour on their rate?

The camera is around £300 for a low-line or £360ish for a highline camera from memory, I'd go highline if I were doing it again it's just one extra wire.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #44 on: 05 October 2021, 16:55 »
Sounds like a simple easy job for auto electrician then. I will make enquiries.
Thanks.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 06 October 2021, 17:36 »

If you have VCD's or a phone coding system.

I'd just use an auto electrician then, the camera comes with instructions and is very very straight forward 1.5 hours to do, and they can make a good connection for power, be around what £45-65 an hour on their rate?

The camera is around £300 for a low-line or £360ish for a highline camera from memory, I'd go highline if I were doing it again it's just one extra wire.
Not sure it’s just 1 extra wire, it doesn’t have the reverse light wire but a twisted pair going to the canbus, plus a lot of the highline cameras come with no coding so would need Odis to program them,

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #46 on: 22 October 2021, 10:18 »
I had a 'low' line camera fitted this week by Alex at Retrofit.  Excellent service, a very clean and well equipped garage, Alex is a real guru when it comes to vehicle electronics and I reccomend his company. The camera works well with a good clear image at night as well as in the day.

Martin
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #47 on: 24 October 2021, 07:59 »
I contacted Alex at vw Retrofit about upgrading my low line camera to a high line as I thought it was a higher resolution.
He explained the only difference between the two is that the coloured lines move with the steering on the high line version.
I never bothered after hearing that,but I did appreciate his honesty.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 24 October 2021, 11:52 »
It’s a bit more than that, the highline has a ecu in it, it also deactivated differently, and can give you more camera angles, but the bit you’ll see would just be the 2 bendy lines. Plus the camera doesn’t switch off as soon as you take it out of reverse, it carries on to 5 mph (which is a pain in the arse if you have the parking display (forgot what it’s called) and front sensors), but yeah I have a highline set up as a lowline

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #49 on: 03 December 2021, 13:42 »
I have now had an OEM camera retro-fitted and I have two questions.

1) Does the badge/motor ever need lubricated?

2) The opening and closing is audible inside the car. Not by much but a slight buzz and a soft clunk as the badge closes.  Is that usual? (when I had a previous Mk7 GTI which came new with the camera I don’t remember that being present but it was a few years ago!).

PS : I love the camera espec on the larger 7.5 screen.