Author Topic: OEM Reverse Camera - VW Retrofit  (Read 14685 times)

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
OEM Reverse Camera - VW Retrofit
« on: 17 February 2019, 10:18 »
I dont have the Reverse Camera option and I would like it.

Seen on Facebook a company called VW Retrofit based in Redditch are offering all sorts of retrofit work, including the reverse camera. Really good glowing reviews by other customers on the page.

For the OEM camera fitted and activated is £340 and takes 2 hours.

Im planning on keeping my GTI now until the MK8 GTI is available (depending on prices with Brexit etc) so probably end of 2020.

Do you think thats worth doing? £340 for essentially 2 ish years still with the car.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: OEM Reverse Camera - VW Retrofit
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2019, 10:24 »
If you plan to do it just be wary there are two types of camera 'Lowline' and 'Highline'.

The 'Lowline' is what VW fits to the cars from the factory, but as I found out when I first used mine, it only has static guidelines which are pretty useless on their own. To add the movable guidelines (which bend and move with your steering) you need a 'Highline' camera.

When I find somewhere that'll do a p/x for my lowline, I'm going to swap mine out to the highline.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2019, 10:29 »
Not all cameras are low line from the factory. I've got factory camera and it's a highline with bend lines. I do however also have park assist which may explain the highline version.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2019, 10:30 »
If you plan to do it just be wary there are two types of camera 'Lowline' and 'Highline'.

The 'Lowline' is what VW fits to the cars from the factory, but as I found out when I first used mine, it only has static guidelines which are pretty useless on their own. To add the movable guidelines (which bend and move with your steering) you need a 'Highline' camera.

When I find somewhere that'll do a p/x for my lowline, I'm going to swap mine out to the highline.

Thanks for the info. So your saying the factory fitted option would be the lowline version, with static guidelines?

Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2019, 10:34 »
Not all cameras are low line from the factory. I've got factory camera and it's a highline with bend lines. I do however also have park assist which may explain the highline version.

I wonder if the newer MY19 cars with reverse camera as standard get the lowline versions. I see the poster above has a 2019 model

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2019, 10:46 »
That's exactly what I was told when I enquired with my dealer after I'd discovered the lack of moving lines.

The Lowline camera is fitted from the factory as the option (or standard on MY19>), but if you spec Park Assist you get the Highline camera because of the extra functionality needed.

To answer your original question, would I pay £350 for a standard camera retrofit, I don't think I would knowing what I know know about the LowLine. I'd spend a bit more and get the Highline, but it's a a fair bit more money as it requires a lot of coding etc.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2019, 11:12 »
My October 17 built GTD has the lowline camera fitted. I specced this as a standalone option and don't have Park Assist. The cost at the time was £265 from memory, however VW increased the price before it became standard.

The static green lines are pretty useless, however the camera still offers greater rearward visibility than relying on rear view mirror and parking sensors so I don't regret speccing it.

If all you want is as a visibility aid, the lowline version is fine, however as a parking and manoeuvre aid the highline is better. Whichever one it is though, I don't think £340 is too bad a price for a retrofit, as long as they're not using low quality parts.

7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2019, 14:17 »
I've got a mate in Dundee who retro fitted the rear camera to his Polo (parts are exactly the same). He sourced all the parts from eBay Germany I think and parts were 300 quid all in. He fitted everything himself. I've always specced rear camera mainly due to the fact it's easier for me to use than twisting my already knackered back. Making me think it's worth speccing park assist every time now too although I don't really pay much attention to the bendy lines so maybe not :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2019, 16:21 »
£340 for a retrofit for two years is a steal in my eyes. I have the normal “low line” camera and it was worth every penny. If I was in your shoes then I’d be getting it done ASAP, I cannot tell you enough how useful the camera is. I’m not sure that bendy lines would be any better, but then I typically use mine to line up with the back of parking bays and getting about an inch away from my garage door.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2019, 20:10 »
To throw a spanner into the works I have park assist and have not got the bendy lines on my rear view camera just the static green ones  :huh:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA