Author Topic: OEM Reverse Camera - VW Retrofit  (Read 14589 times)

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: OEM Reverse Camera - VW Retrofit
« Reply #20 on: 22 February 2019, 14:40 »
Had one for nine years - hence included on my order as just got used to the convenience. It’s also very cool IMO in the way it pops out from under the badge and also keeps the lens clean.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 22 February 2019, 16:01 »
Whilst the static lines on the low line camera has always been a little disappointing, I still think the reverse camera is a great asset. Sure the lines don't move, but they still greatly assist in getting your car perfectly central in a car park slot, and reversed back to the ideal spot.

Also, I'm always amazed how much it can see in the dark. Admittedly the new 7.5 Golf I have has some decent LED reverse lights fitted now as standard, which seem to be much brighter than the standard filament ones on the previous GTD's, but even so, even in complete darkness (so no street lights), rearward visibility with the camera is superb. It's the first option I ticked and nothing to do with not being able to reverse park BTW  :D
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 22 February 2019, 16:57 »
Had one for nine years - hence included on my order as just got used to the convenience. It’s also very cool IMO in the way it pops out from under the badge and also keeps the lens clean.

AFIK, only Merc and VW have decent hidden cameras. Most others including supposedly luxury cars like Range Rovers have them open and so are useless after 5 min drive in winter.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 22 February 2019, 17:00 »
Most others including supposedly luxury cars like Range Rovers have them open and so are useless after 5 min drive in winter.
Range Rover's have a water jet positioned over the rear camera, so when you put it into reverse and/or put the rear windscreen wash on, it jets the camera clean. It's not perfect though, and after a few motorway trips in deep winter it will need wiping down.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline daleski

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 22 February 2019, 22:19 »
A bit off topic but would it be a safe assumption that any gti's delivered from march onwards would now come as standard with RVC?

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 22 February 2019, 22:35 »
A bit off topic but would it be a safe assumption that any gti's delivered from march onwards would now come as standard with RVC?

Depends on what you mean by 'delivered'. If it's brand new, fresh off the boat then it probably is safe.

If it's a car that's from existing stock then possibly not.
7.5 GTD

Offline daleski

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 22 February 2019, 23:01 »
The car will be brand new.

Offline Crockers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 23 February 2019, 05:54 »
I like the fact its wide angled so if reversing out of a spot it lets you see if traffic is coming .....just likr cross traffic alert but without all the beeps. 😀

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 25 February 2019, 07:59 »
Most others including supposedly luxury cars like Range Rovers have them open and so are useless after 5 min drive in winter.
Range Rover's have a water jet positioned over the rear camera, so when you put it into reverse and/or put the rear windscreen wash on, it jets the camera clean. It's not perfect though, and after a few motorway trips in deep winter it will need wiping down.

I had a Disco previously - camera needed cleaning every time you stopped in winter - bit of a pain.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 27 February 2019, 13:08 »
Had it fitted this morning.

Took the chap 1hr 20 mins for the whole job and you wouldnt even know its not a factory fitted option. All trim back in place and clipped in properly. Just like the OEM camera. Well pleased  :laugh:
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack