Author Topic: Suspected dreaded rear shock absorber rattle  (Read 4019 times)

Offline tictap

• Not said much yet
Re: Suspected dreaded rear shock absorber rattle
« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2017, 15:36 »
Most probably is the shocks they are so common unfortunately, mine has had 2 sets over its lifetime so far to solve the issue .

Did yours have a constant rattle or was it intermittent like mine?
It was intermittent yes only ever noticed it at slow speed as you would and most of the time was ok but it would happen without fail all the time when i came onto or off my driveway, would be worth finding somewhere with a bit of a incline and see if you can recreate the sound reliably.

Mine gets worse with speed, the faster I go the louder it gets it sounds like a constant metal on metal rattle and is really loud inside the car?
MK7 GTI, Keyless, Pano Roof, Discover Pro, Dynaudio, Leather Interior, Winter Pack, Performance Pack

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2017, 15:44 »
Most probably is the shocks they are so common unfortunately, mine has had 2 sets over its lifetime so far to solve the issue .

It was intermittent yes only ever noticed it at slow speed as you would and most of the time was ok but it would happen without fail all the time when i came onto or off my driveway, would be worth finding somewhere with a bit of a incline and see if you can recreate the sound reliably.

Mine gets worse with speed, the faster I go the louder it gets it sounds like a constant metal on metal rattle and is really loud inside the car?

That sounds more like a suspension mount problem.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline tictap

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2017, 16:24 »

That sounds more like a suspension mount problem.

I did wonder after I read most people noticed it at low speed where mine is the opposite, once it starts it tends to last the remainder of the journey getting worse the faster I go  :sad:
MK7 GTI, Keyless, Pano Roof, Discover Pro, Dynaudio, Leather Interior, Winter Pack, Performance Pack

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2017, 16:57 »
I've had front shock / suspension mount issues on both my old GTI and the R. Symptoms were only ever apparent at low speed though - parking / maneurveing in car parks etc. I had front left shock, mounts and wishbone bushings replaced in the R last week and now it's silent.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Sequence

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 16 April 2017, 17:53 »
Reality is your issue is suspension related either mounts or shocks its best to get it looked at either way depending on how in depth you want to go you could remove wheels and knock like this guy in this video does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bvS3g2vXFI
Golf Mk7 R Lapiz Blue Manual

Gone, Golf MK7 2.0TDI GT Tungsten Silver

Offline tictap

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2017, 20:10 »
Reality is your issue is suspension related either mounts or shocks its best to get it looked at either way depending on how in depth you want to go you could remove wheels and knock like this guy in this video does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bvS3g2vXFI

Thanks, I've seen this before, I'll have to wait for a dry day and give it a try.