Author Topic: Club Sport or Mk 7.5 ?  (Read 8630 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: Club Sport or Mk 7.5 ?
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2017, 11:53 »
We should know more about the new GTI PP in a few weeks. There might be a launch at the Geneva motor show early March. However, it won't be available to order in the UK until May 4th. So don't expect to get the car until August/September. (Though Ireland may be different.)

What we know so far about the facelift -

- new front lights
- new tail lights with dynamic/sweeping indicators
- new alloys
- radar now inside the front VW badge = no hole in the front grill
- new active info display
- new dash
- power up to 245hp (and maybe 370N/m torque)
- new 7-speed DSG option

If none of that interests you, or you don't want to wait, then buy the CS.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2017, 11:56 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2017, 13:20 »
I used to have a lovely mk5 GTI, bought second hand because I couldn't afford a new one.
I fitted some nice BBS wheels and had it remapped and nearly lived happily ever after.

Then when VW launched the mk6 GTI I suddenly felt that feeling of "I'd always promised myself I'd buy a brand new GTI one day so maybe now is the time..."
Alas I ended up deciding I'd buy an ex-demo as it was quite a bit cheaper and there were ridiculously long waits for build slots.
After that decision was made I played my usual waiting game of watching the available cars that I was interested in until they got to that sweet spot of when the sales manager is under pressure to shift them they're very much up for negotiation.

Whilst doing my daily trawls through the usual online places to watch the prices it became very apparent that the unsold end of line GTI Pirellis were starting to become pre-registered dealer stock and were going for some pretty attractive prices.
Being the idiot I am I bought the shiny new tech mk6 model when one became available at a very good cost to change.

There's no getting away from it that the mk6 was a very good car in its day once a bit of REVO flavoured spice was added and some nice wheels but...

... well, the Pirelli would probably have been a better buy and I really do think I made the wrong decision in hindsight.

So on that experience alone I'd say "get a ClubSport, but wait until they become dealer stock pre-registered as I reckon there will be some good buys to be had"
Right now there's going to be a bit of a wait for the GTI's I expect (unless you got a very early order in and a build slot), and more so for the PP so any old stock mk7's will have their prices shored up for a few months. Once the flow of cars starts coming off the ferries from Germany again then the ClubSports might become a bit like the Pirellis and ED30's that were initially held to ransom then suddenly became very attractive propositions once the sales managers were under pressure to clear space.

Or you could buy an R and watch your investment cascade like drops or water going over Victoria Falls  :laugh:
(I'd actually still buy an R in all honesty, or would I?  :undecided: )

On a more important note, I just popped into Sainsbury's to pick up a French stick bread thingy so went through the self scan for speed. I say speed but I'm pretty rubbish when it comes to those self scan tills some days. Anyway, all was going smoothly but the lady on the next till was having problem with her plums.
She couldn't get the weigh scales to recognise the plums she had carefully balanced out so the nice lady was called to assist and she seemed a bit mystified too and the shout came out for a supervisor.
She duly arrived with her headset on and immediately answered the query "they're being sold by the item now not by weight, they're 50p each"
50p for a plum!!!!!  :shocked:
kind of makes Golf R depreciation seem like a bargain.

Buy a Golf R.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2017, 13:56 »
I kind of pondered the same thing but glad I have bought a clubsport because -

Sweeping indicators look tragic in my mind
Don't want a digital dash
Personally don't like the new headlights with twisted red bits
CS is limited edition and probably won't ever see many on the road

I think your previous comment about dealer pre reg stock is partly true but having done a huge amount of research and shopping around late last year regards club sports I think the cars that are left as pre reg will either be £40k Christmas trees with everything on them or white, poverty spec cars with no bucket seats and not many peoples cup of tea.

I still haven't even seen my car in the flesh but I am very happy that going for a 3 door manual in red, with buckets, 19s  and black roof for a smidge over £30k after a good discount deal at end of last year will prove to be a good buy and not depreciate like a stone.

Finding a 3 door manual with buckets, but not tons of spec was incredibly difficult and the car I bought was the only one I found that had, in my mind, desirable options but not too much else that I didn't want to pay extra for.

What was apparent was that the whole ordering process wasn't handled well with lots of dealer ordered cars with no home and not that many in great spec choices given the nature of the car, but then it all depends what you want I suppose..

The new gti PP in fairly Boggo spec will no doubt be a great all rounder
« Last Edit: 25 February 2017, 13:58 by drisser »
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2017, 14:15 »
I used to have a lovely mk5 GTI, bought second hand because I couldn't afford a new one.
I fitted some nice BBS wheels and had it remapped and nearly lived happily ever after.

Then when VW launched the mk6 GTI I suddenly felt that feeling of "I'd always promised myself I'd buy a brand new GTI one day so maybe now is the time..."
Alas I ended up deciding I'd buy an ex-demo as it was quite a bit cheaper and there were ridiculously long waits for build slots.
After that decision was made I played my usual waiting game of watching the available cars that I was interested in until they got to that sweet spot of when the sales manager is under pressure to shift them they're very much up for negotiation.

Whilst doing my daily trawls through the usual online places to watch the prices it became very apparent that the unsold end of line GTI Pirellis were starting to become pre-registered dealer stock and were going for some pretty attractive prices.
Being the idiot I am I bought the shiny new tech mk6 model when one became available at a very good cost to change.

There's no getting away from it that the mk6 was a very good car in its day once a bit of REVO flavoured spice was added and some nice wheels but...

... well, the Pirelli would probably have been a better buy and I really do think I made the wrong decision in hindsight.

So on that experience alone I'd say "get a ClubSport, but wait until they become dealer stock pre-registered as I reckon there will be some good buys to be had"
Right now there's going to be a bit of a wait for the GTI's I expect (unless you got a very early order in and a build slot), and more so for the PP so any old stock mk7's will have their prices shored up for a few months. Once the flow of cars starts coming off the ferries from Germany again then the ClubSports might become a bit like the Pirellis and ED30's that were initially held to ransom then suddenly became very attractive propositions once the sales managers were under pressure to clear space.

Or you could buy an R and watch your investment cascade like drops or water going over Victoria Falls  :laugh:
(I'd actually still buy an R in all honesty, or would I?  :undecided: )

On a more important note, I just popped into Sainsbury's to pick up a French stick bread thingy so went through the self scan for speed. I say speed but I'm pretty rubbish when it comes to those self scan tills some days. Anyway, all was going smoothly but the lady on the next till was having problem with her plums.
She couldn't get the weigh scales to recognise the plums she had carefully balanced out so the nice lady was called to assist and she seemed a bit mystified too and the shout came out for a supervisor.
She duly arrived with her headset on and immediately answered the query "they're being sold by the item now not by weight, they're 50p each"
50p for a plum!!!!!  :shocked:
kind of makes Golf R depreciation seem like a bargain.

Buy a Golf R.

That's all very well but you said "plums". Having never grown up I can't hear or read "plums" without sniggering :embarrassed:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2017, 14:47 »

That's all very well but you said "plums". Having never grown up I can't hear or read "plums" without sniggering :embarrassed:

It's funny that you should mention that, I very nearly put in a juvenile attempt at a joke within my post but thought better of it as we're all a very mature bunch and it would be very inappropriate, especially as it was a very scientific comparison of perceived value.

I'm still in shock actually.
Fifty pence EACH!  :shocked:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 25 February 2017, 15:20 »

It's funny that you should mention that, I very nearly put in a juvenile attempt at a joke within my post but thought better of it as we're all a very mature bunch and it would be very inappropriate, especially as it was a very scientific comparison of perceived value.

I'm still in shock actually.
Fifty pence EACH!  :shocked:

It made me smile :smiley:.

Back on topic; Club Sport or mk7.5 GTI? There's not much about the facelift that I prefer over the Club Sport and IMO some of the new features Daz Auto has highlighted above are a bit gimmicky; e.g. sweeping rear indicators, Active Info Display, large shiny fingermark-prone gesture control screen that I think is hugely distracting to the driver and IMO potentially dangerous.

If I was in the market right now for a new Golf GTI, if the price was right I'd take the Club Sport. I do like the new Isaac Blue colour though that's available on the mk7.5.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline 09GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2017, 10:27 »
Thanks for replies - still can't decide - I like the look of the new lights and dash on the facelift GTI
First world problems though !
2014 Mk 7 GTI 5 door , Discover Pro , Pan Roof , DSG , ACC, Xenons , Parking  Sensors  , Rear Tints, KESSY.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2017, 10:41 »
Going against the grain here but I think I'd be going for the FL. I'd want the latest tech, the new lights, etc.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline brown.jamesa

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2017, 11:22 »
Going against the grain here but I think I'd be going for the FL. I'd want the latest tech, the new lights, etc.

+1 for me.

I am waiting to order the GTI Performance on the 4th of May  :smiley:
Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP (67)
Past: Mk6 GTD (12), Mk5 GT TDI 140 (54)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2017, 13:35 »
Thanks for replies - still can't decide - I like the look of the new lights and dash on the facelift GTI
First world problems though !
I'm surprised you are not thinking of a facelift Golf R. That would give you both a change of style and an improvement in performance.

ClubSport = similar style, increased performance.    Facelift GTI = similar performance, change in style.

I am waiting to order the GTI Performance on the 4th of May  :smiley:
...me three.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS