Author Topic: Mk2 Golf 3.2 VR6 Kamei Edition + GTI 8v Mini Resto  (Read 65199 times)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: 89 Golf GTI 16V
« Reply #20 on: 23 May 2016, 20:20 »
There pump goes below the alternator. Should be the brqcket there even without the power stearing.
Rack bolts in the same. Theres not alot of difference between a 2 and a 3 to be honest.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #21 on: 23 May 2016, 20:21 »
Youll need different rack mount bushes if you have non pas and are putting a pas rack In though.
Alao if its a wide trqcked mk3 youll have to swap the trackrod arms out unless your going widetrack on the front

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 23 May 2016, 22:08 »
Thanks for that, will check out my engine block when I'm home at the weekend. I'll use new mk2 track rods and ends regardless, plus new bushings as I'll also refurbish the steering rack itself as I want everything to be like new once it's all bolted back in. Just bagged myself a set of G60 front brakes and got some mk4 Golf rear calipers on order too, so will be refurbishing those at the weekend I think!

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2016, 23:00 »
Got cracking today, continued the taking things off thing:

This carried on for most of the day, most things came off with no issues. Only problem I had was one bolt on the passenger wing wouldn't play ball but got the whole wing off by pulling the bolt out with the fitting still attached. No damage done! End result of today's ventures:

Going to clean up the under seal and prime the passenger side so it's protected from rust. The driver's side has a small amount of rot under the scuttle panel, will get a professionals opinion on it over the next week to see the best course of action. I'm off work this next week, although I have a uni exam coming up so I should revise for that really...

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 31 May 2016, 19:03 »
More stripping it down:

I had been going away from the original plan of ITB's, but seeing the engine out the car just made me want them again:

Took the subframe off and dismantled it:

Needs a good clean up:

Only just fits into the blaster! Hoping to have it working again soon so I can clean it up and recondition it. I'd rather that as it's the original one but if I can't or the rust has eaten too much into the affected areas I'll source a new, reproduction unit. Swinging to the later option as I'm going to use brand new wishbone with better bushes, new ball joints, refurbished power steering rack with new track rods and ends and refurbished hubs with new bearings.

Offline borax

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 03 June 2016, 20:43 »
Nice update. Good luck with it all.There has been a serious amount of work put into this car over the last year or so. Its looking good,keep us updated

Offline iain cooper

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 04 June 2016, 08:44 »
great interesting post and brilliant pictures.

keep up the good work !!

giving me some enthusiasm to get my 87 eight valve gti back on the road.

Iain

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 04 June 2016, 10:40 »
great interesting post and brilliant pictures.

keep up the good work !!

giving me some enthusiasm to get my 87 eight valve gti back on the road.

Iain

Thanks man. 8V's are highly underrated, you should look at getting the head ported and polished as well as an Audi 50 throttle body upgrade and a good panel filter, you'll really open up the performance of a solid and mid range torque engine. Also find some front hubs from a mk3 Golf and upgrade the front brakes to 256mm versions. If you can get some early mk3 Golf TDI hubs you'll be laughing as they're the same as the mk2 GTI 16V but cost a hell load less but later mk3 GTI 8V ones also work but you'll also need the mk3 Golf ball joint. And some good coilovers and you'll have a killer of a GTI that won't break the bank.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 04 June 2016, 10:51 »
So, been pulling bits off all over the place, so far the worst of the rust.rot I've come across is on the driver's chassis leg:

After about 4 hours of scraping under seal off I decided I had enough. I'm pretty impress so far with hose good she it under all the paint and under seal... Which there is copious amounts off (you know who you are..!) but I decided that if I want the car done properly then it needs to be done by the professionals. So, I've booked her into a body shop with a great reputation to fully re-do the shell from the ground up.

They're really excited about getting a project back in their workshop rather than just insurance work, they're keen to get me in as soon as they can so we're booked in for 25th June. That gives me just 2 weekends to finish stripping the whole shell down for them... Nothing like a tight deadline to motivate yourself!

Next weekend I plan to get the whole interior out as well as the last of the engine bay parts (wiring, brake servo and heater matrix) and hopefully remove the rear axle and fuel tank. Following weekend will be doors and boot off and final preps as well as building up a trolley to move the shell around on.

All ramping up now, stay tuned!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #29 on: 04 June 2016, 11:34 »
Thats not the worst rot ive seen. My old 3 door had to be all rewelded on the inner arch near the scuttle. Good work though buddy