Author Topic: Mk2 Golf 3.2 VR6 Kamei Edition + GTI 8v Mini Resto  (Read 65206 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Re: 89 Golf GTI 16V
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2016, 19:48 »
Yeah, definitely not done the linkage! :laugh:

No wonder second gear is almost non-existent! All the other bits for the bin (so far):

And now just to clean these bits up, fit new bushes and rebuild:

Can't be arsed to paint them this time round, will do it after I remove the engine.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2016, 20:32 »
 Better than some linkages though.

Good work so far though

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 01 April 2016, 19:21 »
Got the shot blaster back in action in the workshop so decided I would paint the brackets while they're off the car. Blasted down:

Prep'd for painting:

Primed:

Gloss black:

Not the best spray job in the world but it'll do for now. Likely I'll re-do it when I do the full tear down. Building it back up:

Many hours more than it should of taken me, it's all done:

The car is up on axle stands currently so couldn't really drive her but the feel of the shifts is completely changed. Second gear is exactly where it should be, every gear is precise and smooth and the feel is lovely with the weighted shifter. I've got to do the interior end of the gear shift system now as it's held together with elastic bands currently!

Plans now mainly focus on getting the car mechanically sorted and perfect, then I'll tear her right down and do a full ground up restoration. Need to know that the mechanicals are solid before spending huge cash on anything else.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2016, 22:50 »
Been rather quiet on the GTI front lately as I've been working on sorting out the 6R. Pretty much got her all done now so it was high time to get back on track with Faye. First thing I did was refit the wheels, lower her down and crack the hub nuts off. Breaker bar and a 5ft pole is the trick here, those things are welded on! But got both off now, so jacked her up on axle stands on all corners:

Decided that I wanted better access to the gear box selector housing so removed the exhaust, which I want to replace with a different system anyway so made sense to strip it off:

Wasn't able to get the exhaust manifold off without removing the inlet manifold, which was a bonus as I discovered on of the inlet pipes was broken at the bolt hole. It still sealed properly, but things like that just won't do in this project. Sourced a replacement from the previous owner so will get that ceramic coated and ready at some stage.

After this, was a case of removing things carefully, replacing bolts once things were removed so I wouldn't loose them and labelling any parts of the wiring loom I could, mainly for reference so I can work it out when it comes to putting it back into the car. Tempted to make a new one from scratch myself but make it more modular so it can be removed easier in the future should I decide to change things up. So she currently sits like this:

Oil and coolant drained, radiator and fan out, slam panel, grill and lights out, top section of inlet with throttle body removed, exhaust system gone and preparations for draining the fuel from the system are under way. Hoping to have the entire front end stripped down by end of June and smoothed/prep'd ready for painting.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2016, 17:25 »
Good work. Hate smoothing mk2s, hence leaving my bay alone this time around.
Still good progress though bud

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2016, 19:04 »
Thanks man. It's not going to be a show worth smooth bay, just cleaning up and generally making look good. Not deleting things really, although may re-locate the battery and screen wash to the boot and not only will it tidy the bay but is spreads the weight out as the battery sits so far forward in a Mk2. Might be annoying you for some tips on bay smoothing now I know you've done it... :laugh:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2016, 19:21 »
Thats fine mate, it was tedious. I deleted some things that wernt needed. Left the battery but relocated the washer bottle. Im relocating the battery this time just measuring boot up to make sure theres space where I want it as ive got a battery for a s3 in mine

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2016, 19:26 »
I'll have a watch of your progress, will be good to see where others are locating their batteries to. I was thinking of deleting the spare wheel and using the space as a battery well and putting the screen wash bottle to one side with the other housing a subwoofer, ultimately adding more weight over the rear but spreading it out for optimal balance.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2016, 19:31 »
See I was going for sub sunk into the wheel well. Battery pas side and washer drivers side. Hence having to measure up all the sizes. Then dining them away and amp on the back of the seat.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2016, 19:51 »
That sounds like an ideal situation, but if you get a small enough amp, perhaps mount it in the spare wheel well as sell? Or slightly raise the floor or the boot by building a false floor, sinking the batter and washer bottle into it slightly (adds extra securing methods then)?

Also, does anyone have a good guide for what parts are required to fit a Mk3 Golf power steering rack and pump to a Mk2 Golf? I'm running a 9A engine which is (as far as I'm aware) almost exactly the same fitment as the KR lump.