Author Topic: "Fault: Automatic Headlight Control" - Any Ideas?  (Read 18840 times)

Offline GTI_Redpath

• GTI forum regular
"Fault: Automatic Headlight Control" - Any Ideas?
« on: 20 November 2015, 12:42 »
Hello All,

Been a while since I've popped on here which i suppose is a good thing as it means my GTI has been (pretty much) trouble free since I bought it almost exactly 2 years ago. Alas, the good times had to come to an end and its a fairly odd fault. Every time I unlock my car in the dark the headlight sensor doesn't seem to detect that its night and my headlights don't come on. but when I then start the car up the headlights come on as normal. The last few days its the same as always but I get a status message as seen below.

The message doesn't come up every time, it seems to come up at random times to me. I've searched the internet, the manual, friends, family, down the back of the sofa and I cant find anything on this issue. I've fiddled on the settings in the car to see if I've accidentally changed something and checked the sensor isnt blocked but.....nothing. I'm at a dead end. I frankly can't be arsed to take it to VW to get a sales pitch on their reduced surplus diesels so any ideas would be much appreciated!
MK7 Golf GTI Performance, 3 Door, Manual, DBP, Dynaudio, Service Pack

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: "Fault: Automatic Headlight Control" - Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2015, 13:20 »
Probably is just that, an intermittently faulty light sensor (that's mounted on the windscreen near the rear view mirror).

As the car's still in warranty, I'm afraid a trip to the dealer, is still the best option. Especially as It's also combined with the sensor for the auto wipers in the same unit
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline GTI_Redpath

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2015, 13:40 »
 :sad: thats what i feared. oddly the rain sensor is working fine. sensor looks fine. must be a loose cable
MK7 Golf GTI Performance, 3 Door, Manual, DBP, Dynaudio, Service Pack

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2015, 14:38 »
Interesting, mines are not right either. Mines seem to be coming on all the time even in pretty bright conditions but no fault warning message.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2015, 14:54 »
Interesting, mines are not right either. Mines seem to be coming on all the time even in pretty bright conditions but no fault warning message.

They all seem to come on exceedingly early. Could try setting the lights on time to 'late' in the menus and see if that helps?
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2015, 16:40 »

They all seem to come on exceedingly early. Could try setting the lights on time to 'late' in the menus and see if that helps?

Tried it on 'late' this weekend no difference so looks like a trip to the dealer.

Offline jj74

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2016, 21:59 »
Hello , did you ever find out what the fault was? My beloved TDI now has this issue and my dealer says I've not read the manual!

Was there a fault with one of the dusk sensors?

Any help or advice would be seriously appreciated  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2016, 22:29 »
Faults in the rain sensor or central electrics?
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline jj74

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2016, 13:50 »
Thanks Man, dealer sent it to Volkswagen to fix and they can't track down the fault either. May be a faulty ECU so they are going to swap it out with one from the mechanic's car (that's dedication!) and see if that fixes it. If so they are going to order a replacement.