Author Topic: Mk3 Golf Gti 16v Sill Rust  (Read 7181 times)

Offline tonman83

• Just got here
Mk3 Golf Gti 16v Sill Rust
« on: 18 August 2015, 13:11 »
Hi All,

I've owned my 16v Mk3 for a couple of years now. I'm trying to keep it in good condition (not use it in the winter etc).

I have noticed that I have the beginning of some rust on both door sills, and I need some advice about what's best. It's far from 'stick your finger through stuff' but I'd rather nip it in the bud now.

I'd be really grateful for any thoughts on this.

I have tried to search for similar threads but I failed, sorry if this has been mentioned previously.

Thanks

ps How do I attach the image?
« Last Edit: 18 August 2015, 13:12 by tonman83 »

Offline RichardBaronGolf

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk3 Golf Gti 16v Sill Rust
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2015, 15:45 »
Hi there,

Could I ask where you live? The best advise would be to go to a trusted bodyshop have them assess the rust then let you know the best course of action, Pictures may help but with rot its hard to tell unless your with the car.

If you are around the essex area theres a great garage called VWmad in Rochford that could have a lookb at it for you! I had the sills done on my mine two years back by a bodyshop in essex called RM repairs I believe think they charged me £1200 for Sills cut out welded in, rear arches cut out and new ones welded in, two front wings all spraying, even done the black trims and my morretes for me. So for two sills I would expect to pay £300 plus or minus a bit, thats worst case scnerio in my opinoin :)

Offline tonman83

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2015, 17:54 »
Thanks RichardBaronGolf,

Yeah, sorry about the images, still not quite understanding that.

Thank you very much for your note. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. The patches are about 3 inches long, and don't look too bad. I'm in Devon, so Essex is probably a bit too much of a drag to be honest!

I'll try to work out the image thing here, and try to let you know how I get on with a garage when I get around to it.

Thanks

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2015, 00:04 »
Open a "Photobucket" account, upload your pics to it, copy the IMG code on Photobucket, and paste that code into your thread on here.
Far easier to assess rust through pics...

Thom

Offline tonman83

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2015, 13:33 »
Hi All,

Here are the pics, !

[][/img]

Offline tonman83

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2015, 13:33 »
Thanks Thom89. Great!

VW BUSH

« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2015, 11:16 »
If that's all there is then it is not a big deal, I had both sides done on my car (2dr) for £250 and a superb job.
Check all the other door rubbers to see what they are hiding.
There is a seem under the rubber where this always sprouts from, the water wicks around the rubber door seal and sits in the metal seam, also where the rubber joins it holds the water, worse when it sits right close to the metal seam...
Bit of a design flaw

The real problem is rust under plastic on the lower sills and where it joins the floor panel and beyond.
If your jacking points are bent then get the plastic off and have a good look before you start forking out for that little bit of crust.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2015, 11:25 by VW BUSH »

Offline tonman83

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2015, 13:05 »
Thanks VW BUSH,

That sounds like good news at my kind of price range. Like you say, it's not a lot, but I'd like to keep it that way.

I just need to find a bodyshop that will do it now. I'll post as and when it gets done.