Author Topic: 'R' sub section or not? What do you think?  (Read 9324 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: 'R' sub section or not? What do you think?
« Reply #20 on: 03 July 2015, 14:38 »
The R forum has lots of sensible people with valuable input. However I'm not keen on the place as it has too many f**kwits who only got a VW because it was on a cheap lease deal and have no idea what it's all about (other than it has 300bhp and an automatic gearbox that makes it get to 60mph very quickly if you have time to p**s about with the switches at the traffic lights and have something very quick in the next lane to you that you feel obliged to show off to). Then there are the ones who have to have the latest and greatest of everything so are very transient. And then there are those who believe the R is a bespoke model and all other Golfs are beneath them just because they have a fancy job title.
And of course the wind up merchants: This guy called VW7R is really annoying...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
However Mr R400 is a genius and reminds me of our old friend Egbert Nosh. I do miss Nosher,  I hope he's not dead (but wonder if he's morphed into R400).

I like the diversity on here. It's a GTI forum and has plenty of R owners which means there's not a lot of preaching going on as most of us are aware of the strengths and weaknesses of all the various Golf models and are up for a bit of banter.
I think the only danger on here is if there is too much R content which will annoy GTI and GTD owners and they won't bother posting which would be an awful shame as there is much good banter and good humour on here.
At the end of the day a Golf is a Golf. VW's favourite baby and comes in many flavours, none better than another for any particular reason, but each is targeted in a slightly different area.
So long as we remember it's a compromise and built to a price, and we buy within what our own personal budget and usefulness criteria are we can come on here and learn an awful lot.

I think the only use an R section would have would be if there was too much R traffic and other owners were becoming marginalised and annoyed.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 03 July 2015, 15:07 »
I view us R owners as mere GTI Renegades

This is a far nicer placer to be and we need our Renegade meet at some point when Lady Booth of Kent finally gets hers

Leave us with the mix of it

There is more useful information on here to be honest and generally more accurate, not warmed to the other place really perosnally and in reality not very much interesting going on and very stagnant

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 03 July 2015, 15:18 »
I am trying really hard to get you to join vwroc. It does rock! Both this and vwroc are great most of the time. :kiss:

Andy is already a member but does not post. Matt is a member and posts. It will be a veritable honour to have my matron of honour on both forums!  :grin:

Asker, the R Forum is certainly a much better place than it was, that I do not doubt, but I still have my reservations about it for the reasons Mr Ex has stated, which I won't repeat.  This remains my preferred forum, again for the reasons stated by M. Ex and wigit.

But in addition to that, on a more personal level, it's also a question of time constraints.  I have a full time job, a young child to raise and taxi, here, there and everywhere, my partner's every whim to cater for  :wink:, ailing pets to care for, etc, etc.  And that's without any car related stuff which I obviously love.  So it's pushing it to spend time on this forum (though it may not seem like that at times :rolleyes:) let alone on different forums, possibly cutting and pasting the exact same questions, all of which would be onerous.  I will always find time for things that are important to me but there are limits.  And if I have to choose one forum, this is it.  Besides I'm not sure I could take a double dose of you, my darling  :kiss: :kiss:  :laugh:

All crap excuses probably, but true.  But if will make you happy, I'll go onto VWRoc later today and register.  I can't do it now as I'm just about to bunk off work early to take my new mountain bike for a spin.

Btw, please drop the Matron tag, I hate it  :grin:  :kiss:

PS:  I confess I love R400 too!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 03 July 2015, 15:28 »
I view us R owners as mere GTI Renegades

This is a far nicer placer to be and we need our Renegade meet at some point when Lady Booth of Kent finally gets hers

Leave us with the mix of it

There is more useful information on here to be honest and generally more accurate, not warmed to the other place really perosnally and in reality not very much interesting going on and very stagnant

So I think we've established we DON'T want a seperate R sub section. :rolleyes:  :laugh:

Wigit, we really must have an R owners meet, though not sure how I'll clear that with HWMBO - "I'm just off to meet up with a bunch of strange men in a car park to talk cars, honest".  :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 03 July 2015, 15:36 »
he can come along as a voyeur if thats his thing  :grin:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 03 July 2015, 16:18 »
The Emperor of Essays has written another one and he is to be listened to and obeyed. The Matron has lost her position as requested. The forum wedding is off. :grin:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 03 July 2015, 18:11 »

Joking aside, every other car seems to have a red stripe somewhere or other at the moment.  It's flavour of the month.  I've seen 3 in the last 2 days. They are imposters - NOT the real thing  :whistle:  :laugh:

The worst offender i've seen was a Nissan Juke Nismo, awful looking car with or without the stripes and not as quick as the poor owner thought when he tried to undertake me in the GTD near Christmas.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 03 July 2015, 19:49 »
I have had a GTI and Now a R and I am quite happy to leave it as it is as at the end of the day we all have a common denominator. A Golf  :smiley:
They may have their differences but I like the friendly nature of this site and no one tries to Lord it over anyone else. The same can't be said on VROC which I do lurk on but have no plans to join anytime soon.
Keep it as it and long may it continue to be a useful resource and amusing place to waste a few hours of your life that you are never going to get back  :wink:  :whistle: :whistle:

Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 03 July 2015, 20:22 »
he can come along as a voyeur if thats his thing  :grin:

Being a Voyeur is NOT his thing, well that's what he tells me anyway  :whistle:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 03 July 2015, 20:27 »
The Emperor of Essays has written another one and he is to be listened to and obeyed.

I can't wait for the Emperor's next musings!  I'll be disappointed with anything less than a complete thesis  :laugh:

Mr Ex sums up some aspects of the R Forum very well and I have to say I agree with much of that summary.  With some obvious exceptions (present company I mean) I just find many of the people on vwroc a little two-dimensional, a bit cardboard cutout and shallow.  IMO members on this forum are much more three dimensional (well, as 3D as you can be in an online community :laugh:), more characterful and rounded.  I think that is very evident in the natural chat and easy banter between us here and is a real strength of this place.  And it goes without saying that there is a huge wealth of knowledge bourne out of the collective ownership of the various incarnations of Golf.   :smiley:

The Emperor of Essays has written another one and he is to be listened to and obeyed. The Matron has lost her position as requested.

The Matron :sick: resigned!  :kiss:

The forum wedding is off. :grin:

Dammit, I just bought a new hat and a whole load of confetti detailing gear.  Hope I can get a refund  :tongue:  :laugh:
« Last Edit: 03 July 2015, 23:02 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual