Author Topic: Seriously rotten mk2 gti!!  (Read 55256 times)

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: Seriously rotten mk2 gti!!
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2015, 17:32 »
Looking good!!
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #11 on: 19 March 2015, 20:17 »
Well done for saving this,most would run away,at least you will end up with a rock solid shell at the end of it  :wink:

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2015, 10:50 »
good progress!

be careful with those borbets in terms of price, nice wheels but they are reps I believe so don't spend too much on them

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2015, 12:40 »
yeah they are, do you know how much they would be worth? i like them

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2015, 20:22 »
looking fab! well done mr welder friend! and great your getting stuck in too! :)

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2015, 15:57 »
So were having a bit of a bad day... the car is progressing well but that is only because of the pure skill of the guy welding the car for me...
i went to see it today and if im honest people were right in saying it should of been scrapped. It has been bodged all over. the back corner of the car was just cardboard, silicone and filler!!
Its nearly all welded now, just tidying and the back panel to do but its cost twice what we thought so there is now no money in the budget for painting it  :cry:
i cant get anyone to help out on that part, either people are saying no as it has a kit and they say its too much work or they are saying £2k which to me is ridiculous.
Will soon be coming home to the garage where she will have to sit for a while  :sad:

the terrible state of the bodges!

the arches are looking good

last bit to do...

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2015, 17:07 »
What about hiring an air compressor and giving the painting a go yourself? Besides, get a decent layer or two down to protect that new metal, then wrap it? Good, cheap alternative till funds are better...

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 27 March 2015, 07:17 »
so after my massive dissapointment yesterday i have had a fab offer from a friend... he is going to paint my car end of may! yaaaaaaaay!
he said he doesnt have a booth but sprays his own cars in his workshop and ive seen his cars so i know he can paint. he said max of £1k. so chuffed! the project continues!

Offline borax

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2015, 15:17 »
what i would do (and feel free to say where i can stick my advice  :laugh:) is if it is going to sit in a garage until the end of May is strip it down as much as you can. Take the lights, grills, any trim, glass off and out. Strip the doors down (time consuming but easy-ish) wings off. Its all pretty straight forward stuff just really time consuming so if your doing it, it will be free. If the car is stripped down then the guy painting it is going to be able to do a better job. If it isa till and the welders it might be worth taking off the front wings to see if there is any rot in the top corners, and in the corners of the windscreen.

Depending on the size of your garage you good always try and take the old paint off too, you'd get a better finish if the car is back to bare metal (give it a coat of etch primer if you do leave it bare metal).

That's my bit. GOOD LUCK with it though, you certainly bitten off a lot, i think after all this effort you will want to hang on to it for a long time

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2015, 16:46 »
Agreed.  Theres nothing worse than mask lines and overspray where things like trim have been left in place.  I'd recommend removing the glass as well.  Think its only the windscreen which is bonded in so shouldn't be too difficult to remove the rest of the glass yourself, and it'll make a huge difference to the finish. 
Great work getting it back from the brink so far, its great when people make the effort to restore rather than brake for parts.  :wink:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |