Author Topic: Seriously rotten mk2 gti!!  (Read 55262 times)

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
Seriously rotten mk2 gti!!
« on: 12 March 2015, 21:02 »
So I thought I would start a thread for this car.
I bought it off Ebay on 1st March 2015 and yet again got drawn in by the look the car has, it reminded me of the cars I used to have in my teens and I paid well over the odds for this car considering but hey ho. I am determined this car will be back on the road, I know a lot of people out there will tell me to scrap it but thats not going to happen...

So, here is my 16v GTi with BBS kit fitted at the dealership when it was new :-) It has full service history and has had thousands spent on it.

Seeing how the car looks now its incredible and incredibly stupid that I managed to drive it home 100 miles after 6 years laid up on someones drive  :shocked:
I took the car for an MOT when I got it home and it failed on 20 different points being brake hoses, top mounts and body corrosion...
So I took the car straight to a friend at a bodyshop to see what nasties lurked under the boykit...

Most people at this stage would cry, be angry, give up, scrap it etc but not me... im a stubborn one and if my bodyshop guy says he can fix it then he can. He said this is not the worst he has seen and he is confident he can do it so gonna crack on  :rolleyes:

Offline Waspy

• I live here
Re: Seriously rotten mk2 gti!!
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2015, 21:07 »
I see why you bought it now  :cool:

I know it's WAY down the list, but those rear seats  :sick:

Also not going to lie, this makes me feel good about the compatible tiny amount of rust mine has, which at one point thought was fatal.

GOOD LUCK!
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2015, 21:17 »
so today i went to help with the car and saw all the shiny new bits had arrived :-)

I got the front bumper off which was a massive pain in the bum, I then took the front skirt off which at some point in time has been cable tied on!! The front wings have been replaced at some point as they are solid and black underneath, I had fun cutting the arches off anyway.
I then had to change the steering wheel because the little one was stupidly hard to turn without any power steering!

Offline borax

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2015, 11:48 »
good luck with this, i can see why you bought it in the first place, looks(ed) nice, keeping my eye on this one. Best colour too

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2015, 18:15 »
Damn right you shouldn't scrap it! Once its restored with original badges and other bits, plus upgrade where appropriate it'll be a head turner. I'd be searching for better wheels as those don't do the car justice. Good luck with it mate.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline ajaymitchell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2015, 23:02 »
Wow that's some serious rusting going on! I'd probably run screaming if I saw that - good job taking it on!

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2015, 22:49 »
It was too late to run screaming I had already bought it unseen  :laugh: !!
Thanks though people, just need our positive vibes to plough on and she will be back on the road this Summer for sure.
Im not a massive fan of BBS wheels, even though the car technically should have BBS on it, can anyone suggest some wheels to look out for that wont break the bank? (anymore than the welding will that is!)

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2015, 23:05 »
I always think you can't go wrong with RAs, although a lot will say they are overdone (not sure how a stock wheel can be "overdone") mine were £180 in good nick IIRC. The car had Borbet A on when I bought it which looks quite good, but they were rubbing as too wide/wrong offset for my drop.
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2015, 11:54 »
wow, its amazing what bodykits can hide.

i would agree that ra's would work well on that, especially with the bbs kit,b ut if you dont like em then you don't like em.

what about something like a mim

http://i55.tinypic.com/11awuvk.jpg

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2015, 14:22 »
They have some Borbets at the bodyshop for sale... dont know if i can stretch at the moment though...

Ive been to check on progress today....one side is done  :grin:
its looking good! He found some more patches behind the fuel tank so that had to come out too

Should be ready for painting end of next week he said :-D
« Last Edit: 19 March 2015, 14:25 by vw_golf_nutter »