Author Topic: Qaz's Mk4 1.8T Project 300bhp  (Read 38410 times)

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
Re: Qaz's Mk4 1.8T Project 300bhp
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2014, 21:04 »
I aint done the k04 or any turbo upgrade convo yet :grin: but you can get it to fit. Someone will pop over and tell you how its done. This is a good forum if you need help.!!
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline mattyfairbro240579

• GTI forum regular
  • Nearly There With My 2.1 Stroker Build
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2014, 22:19 »
Looks a nice project :afro:

Hows the ride with the poly bushes? Any different to standard?
Poly bushes are the way forward Dom, transformed the way mine handles now mate  :smiley:
2000 1.8T R Tech remap - 310 bhp/321 lb;ft : Decat, stainless 2.5" exhaust, front mount intercooler, KO4 :  S2000 airfilter, Relentless manifold, Badger5 TIP, Saab red injectors, VR6 MAF housing, Forge 007p & Actuator, JK coilovers, Fully polybushed, Vibra Technics engine mounts, ECS Dogbone Mount, Cupra R fuel pump, TT subframe, Porsche 996 Calipers, HELL Lines, Custom 'J' Hook OE R32 Discs, Quaife ATB LSD,  Spec Stage 3+ Clutch & flywheel, WaterMeth, Rear ARB, AEM Data

Offline mattyfairbro240579

• GTI forum regular
  • Nearly There With My 2.1 Stroker Build
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2014, 22:28 »
Hi there Qaz  :smiley: good to see your build treads up and running !!!

You were saying your getting tt injectors, go for the saab big reds got them on mine mate and they work perfectly, theres 3 different types of saab reds tho !! so make sure you get the highest cc ones think there 360cc

Just bought another AGU engine which I've got big plans for so may have various bits for sale over the next few months mate
2000 1.8T R Tech remap - 310 bhp/321 lb;ft : Decat, stainless 2.5" exhaust, front mount intercooler, KO4 :  S2000 airfilter, Relentless manifold, Badger5 TIP, Saab red injectors, VR6 MAF housing, Forge 007p & Actuator, JK coilovers, Fully polybushed, Vibra Technics engine mounts, ECS Dogbone Mount, Cupra R fuel pump, TT subframe, Porsche 996 Calipers, HELL Lines, Custom 'J' Hook OE R32 Discs, Quaife ATB LSD,  Spec Stage 3+ Clutch & flywheel, WaterMeth, Rear ARB, AEM Data

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2014, 22:55 »
Thanks man, means a lot coming from you haha

Ahh ok, where exactly can I get them from? Will any injectors over 360cc be good enough then?

Ooo why do I get the feeling a big turbo conversion is coming along?! I will keep my eyes peeled! Do let me know what pieces you're getting rid of I may need them  :grin:

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 04 June 2014, 20:37 »
Right, it's been a while.
OK so the build isn't lightning fast but step by step things are happening. In my dreams mainly.
Anyway here's an update, so after getting the k04 I did a lot and a lot of questioning and researching on manifolds, a lot of people told me different things. Everyone I asked gave brilliant advice, in the end however I went with this:

A box with fluffy stuff.

Some go fast stickers worth an additional 10bhp.

Behold the Pro4 manifold, I call it a spider manifold it just looks weird to me but anyway.

So after getting the manifold it was time to save up money to get the turbo ported and a TIP for the project. However the car got parked up as road tax ran out and this week gave her a wash and polish.

So the other day I was driving along, and embaressingly stalled. The car refused to turn over so after a bump start it started and drove home after thinking and messing around with it came to the conclusion the starter motor had died on it so fitted a new one today.

Before I was going to throw power at the car but I think I want clutch and flywheel next, then TT subframe and then do the turbo conversion at home to save some money. Also on a look out for a cheap 3 inch exhaust and even a used TIP.

Thank you for reading

Offline Scott-R

• I live here
  • GoT BoosT!
« Reply #15 on: 07 July 2014, 23:12 »
Nice manifold, keep up the good work. :cool:
Golf GTI ... What else would you have?

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 08 June 2015, 17:02 »
Ok well it has been a while, not sure if this is worth following up as there are other more exciting builds happening but might as well finish what I started!

So after managing to get almost everything I needed for the k04 build it was time to get the old turbo out which was not the easiest thing in the world. Not to sure if I'm allowed to post this link but this is the guide I followed much of the way http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3562254-Stock-Turbo-Removal-Ko4-20-Install-My-DIY

She looked so sad here.

While I had the k04 off I had it ported to match the pro4 by JNL Racing.

It was time to get to work, I pretty much followed the guide I think one of the difficult things for me was getting to the top two downpipe nuts as it was three inch and there wasn't much space. For the top right one I used a load of extensions and went behind the subframe and somehow got it to reach. Apparently it's all about the 'angles'.

Once that side was all off started on the top, first bit of happiness was the manifold coming off..

Finally got this out

Then it was time to get a load of gaskets washers, and all the boring bits and pieces to drop the k04 in!

I decided to go with the all famous welly cooler, had no idea it was this big and weighed a ton or how the hell it was going to sit behind my bumper but it was much needed

K04 sitting pretty with its BBT actuator

Top view, manifold wasn't the easiest thing on installing and getting the turbo to line up but in the end it got done, had a crap time with the oil line to the front, managed to cross thread it and then needed a new oil filter housing. Lesson learnt be patient and don't rush as it'll just do more damage.

Getting it all piped up for it's first start up, car was very loud due to just running on downpipe and a little bit of pipe but did sound very nice and turbo-ey  :laugh:

Just a rough mock up, need to jubilee clip everything together, but that's how its going to stay.Credit to Prawny for his intercooler guide http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=238012.msg2193625#msg2193625

Also thanks to everyone or anyone who helped, a big thank you to Golfyste who guided me when I was a bit lost.
Car went to my mechanics just to get checked over on vag, n75 unplugged and the old maf instead of vr6 got the all clear went to drive off and it literally died in second. Im guessing its because of back pressure so the cars been booked to get a bit of pipe welded in this week and then i still need to weld the little bungs on the intercooler piping and it should be all done.
However I did notice a small oil leak on the top of the turbo, both washers are there, going to try tighten it but I have been looking at k04 chra/cartridges and thinking of taking it out and just changing it if I can't get it to stop. Anyone used one or is it best to send it off and have it rebuilt? It's coming directly from around the banjo...

Thanks for reading it has been a bit of a long time and I still haven't managed to take it for a spin, but hopefully it should be worth it once all the little bits and pieces are finished. Just need to find me some overtime for pay for it all haha!

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 23 August 2015, 15:38 »
Been reading a lot of peoples builds lately and got inspired to update mine again.
OK so once the turbo was fitted there was some sort of vacuum leak which meant the car was useless, not to mention the small oil leak.
So a couple of weeks back I got time and the turbo was ripped out, I figured since it was out again for peace of mind I sent it to Dan at bbt to rebuild, up rated seals, and even changed out the oil cast wheel for a billet one.
The oil leak turned out to be the oil line, instead of buying ANOTHER k04 oil line the old k03 one was bent carefully and correctly into place, car back together everything in the right place.

I cannot explain how fun and quick the car is on actuator pressure alone!  :laugh:
I feel like the k04 kicks in a little bit later than my k03 did but makes up for it.

So with the car being back on the road for a week I noticed another oil leak!! This time it was from the oil return line but at the point where it meets the sump, at first I thought it was the gasket however on closer inspection I noticed the bottom nut kept spinning.
Now had to decide whether to just get a new sump or send this one off to a machinist. I decided to just fix this one and now the car is pretty much problem free and is very quick.

Yesterday was boiling so I decided to give it a good old clean

At the moment it still needs a few more things before it can get mapped, but I have a general direction and list that just keeps getting longer and longer.
A friend of mines mk 2 20v agu k04 is going in for mapping on Thursday at badger5 if I can get the day off work it might be an interesting day!

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 27 August 2015, 23:15 »
So quick question anyone know who used to own this mk2??? Has a club gti sticker on the front window too...
Will write up its remap day at badger5 tomorrow when I have more energy. All I can say is I cannot wait to be remapped!!  :laugh:

« Last Edit: 27 August 2015, 23:16 by QazGolf »

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 05 September 2015, 00:09 »
Ok so the other week my friends mk2 20v went off for mapping so I got the day off work and a road trip was made out of it, without the mk4 :(
The day started off rainy but eventually we made it

Car getting prepped up ready for powaarh

Some more setting up, and mapping was in process. It was a great day at badger5 and managed to learn a few things and see Bill's track car up and close.

And then a really nice drive back to London on some nice roads. There was a 335D with us but after mapping well I will leave that to your imagination... It was hilarious and yes there are videos haha!

Ok so last weekend there was a charity meet at style dynamics, so I figured sweet I'll cange my turbo intake pipe to my oversized one and wash the car and I'll be down..

This beast of a thing, yes I gave it a clean it had been lying about for some time. Then decided to label up everything with the help of snapchat yes you read that right snapchat! Just so everything goes back to where it is meant to be and no mistakes were made.

Next was to remove everything, air filter which will soon be changed anyway, and Maf sensor..

N75 out..

Recirc valve out..

A jubilee on the turbo side and out it comes, look at the size difference. And how clean the other one is haha. I really don't think the picture does it justice.

Just a little check up on the fresh core turbo, put it in the car at 113,400ish and it's now done 200 miles with no problems, effortless and crazy boost haha. Next what you don't see is the gear box linkage being undone and me swearing and bleeping at the car because this pipe was a nightmare to get in. Honestly it was a b****! Three I think it was 13mm bolts linkage out and then there is a metal coolant pipe from the heater matrix which needed messing around, last time I tried installing this pipe onto the turbo I bent this metal coolant pipe and needed to change it so be careful. Be patient. I just pushed it down away from everything, tip went onto the turbo. Fiiiiinally, although it was a really tight fit.

Then put the gear linkage back on might have to hold it in place, screw it all in and then go inside make sure it all goes into gear. Reattach everything back to the pipe and it was done.

As much as I would like to say its in and never coming out, it'll probably come out one day. But I am not doing it again!
Side note make sure the hockey puck goes this way into the tip as I put it the wrong way first and golfyste corrected me, cheers for that mate!

Ok so next on the list was to straighten out the bottom valance as it angled down and forward because of the welly cooler and scraped every bump and I had enough of that. Before:

Some zip ties and a JDM repair later:

Not perfect but it will do for now.

Note to self don't try to move the car while it's on the jack. Had a heart attack after everything was done, as I sat in the car tried to move it and hear some unholy noise. Thought my clutch had given up or it wasn't in gear properly because of the linkage went back to the bonnet undid the maf air box, jubilee for the tip to turbo and then realised it was still in the air!!! Have breakfast before you work on cars people haha. Lesson learnt car on the floor and all was good. In the end I didn't go down to the meet as I was with family, but took the car out for a blast in the evening  :laugh: