Author Topic: Golf GTD discounts  (Read 9690 times)

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
Re: Golf GTD discounts
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2014, 10:13 »
Would just say talk to your dealers.
Yes give it a try but you wil need some luck to get top discount. My local one (with whom I would say I have a good relationship, having purchased two new Golfs from them in the last ten years and their doing all my servicing) offered 6% and that was the best they could do.

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 03 January 2014, 11:35 »
Local dealer is getting near to 8% on a relatively low spec GTD, jsut adding camera, airbags and high beam assist. That is all by email so they maybe would do better face to face. Issue is delivery as quoting June.

Thats leads on to another question, is a lowish spec model ie. with no sat nav a no no that will harm resale or no big issue?
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2014, 12:01 »
Local dealer is getting near to 8% on a relatively low spec GTD, jsut adding camera, airbags and high beam assist. That is all by email so they maybe would do better face to face. Issue is delivery as quoting June.

Thats leads on to another question, is a lowish spec model ie. with no sat nav a no no that will harm resale or no big issue?
I would say you will get slightly more than a non-sat navigation model upon resale but not what you paid originally for the option, I would say £300/400 more than a non-sat nav model at the very most.
Local dealerships can match the brokers if spoken to properly, perhaps the GTD's are harder to discount than GTi's but I think I managed around 12% off my GTi  :smiley:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 03 January 2014, 12:37 »
You will be lucky to see 25% back on any option selected - Leather and DSG add about £300 more to part-ex value 3 years down the line. A GTD/GTI has plenty of standard spec and you won't get penalised for not speccing up. With that in mind you should buy the stuff for you and not the next owner. Most options provide relatively poor value for money - be sure you buy what you will use on a regular basis to best get your money's worth. £700 is a lot of money for the basic nav, you're paying over twice the amount of a high end standalone for the convenience of integration. The choice is yours......
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 03 January 2014, 16:54 »
If the standard spec were to change in the meantime, yes... "Oh thats one of the early ones with no sat-nav" is the type of comment you will get.

If not, then I would not spec sat-nav solely in consideration of a future disposal - only if I wanted it for my own reasons and would then simply use the greater ease of sale as a factor to back up my decision!

Local dealerships can match the brokers if spoken to properly, perhaps the GTD's are harder to discount than GTi's but I think I managed around 12% off my GTi  :smiley:
Your case is the exception to the rule. Local dealerships generally will not discount to those levels under normal circumstances. 12% discounts are achieved by brokers as they are placing multiple orders - in effect fleet purchases.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2014, 16:58 by Mark V GTD »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 03 January 2014, 17:44 »
To get 12% off a dealership at the retail level is rare. Most brokers place volume orders through the fleet arm of a dealership.

Dealers margins in a car are based mainly on volume of sales and level of satisfaction in the customer surveys. Dealers can get as little as 5% on the sales volumes if they don't get anything from the satisfaction surveys (maximum 15% attributable to top marks in the satisfaction surveys) - so my dealership salesman told me.

A small dealership with a low satisfaction rating would be losing money selling with a 12% discount.

Offline karlak

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 04 January 2014, 17:21 »
I have managed to get a 12% discount on a GTD DSG and Options from my Local dealer.

Always worth going in with a best quote from elsewhere.  I was surprised to get 12% mind :)

Ordered 06/01/14.  5DR GTD DSG, Red. Park Assist | Rear Camera | Keyless entry | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | Pro Nav.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 04 January 2014, 17:24 »
I have managed to get a 12% discount on a GTD DSG and Options from my Local dealer.

Always worth going in with a best quote from elsewhere.  I was surprised to get 12% mind :)

Did you release the hostages as soon as you got that deal?  :grin:

Offline karlak

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 04 January 2014, 17:44 »

Did you release the hostages as soon as you got that deal?  :grin:

Nope, but I reckon the finance guy went the loo after to drop some hostages off ;)

Ordered 06/01/14.  5DR GTD DSG, Red. Park Assist | Rear Camera | Keyless entry | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | Pro Nav.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 04 January 2014, 18:50 »
This can happen when there are other factors (often unknown to the customer) at play. Time of year for a start - this is a quiet time for dealers. Then there is allocation - if they are selling under their allocation this is not going to help their position next year and they are best to make a sale (with less profit) to fullfill it rather than lose it.

They may value your relationship with them for servicing and/or previous purchases. All these can create an exception to the rule....

My experience was that I was only offered half fo a brokers discount on a GTD purchase from my normal servicing dealer with whom I have a good relationship and have bought two new cars. For unknown reasons they were just unabel or unwilling to go that far - quite possibly they were acheiveing their targets on the GTD/GTI and were happy to meet them and simply did not need to offer any further discount. Maybe they thought I would accept it - who knows! Anyway there were no hard feelings and I felt I had at least given them the chance to compete. As it was, the DtD dealer is that well known one in Kent that one might associate yellow diggers with rather than VW's and they gave me an additional £2k off. Thats too much to refuse, good relationship or not!