Author Topic: Do I expect too much from my dealer?  (Read 8845 times)

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
Re: Do I expect too much from my dealer?
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2013, 11:20 »
Link to finance calculator:

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/businessFinanceCalculator/generateDefaultCalculation?modelId=1262

If you have optional extras you will need to go through the configurator to get an accurate purchase figure but the 'amount to finance' can be manipulated to suit your particular situation by adjusting the deposit amount so you can make it match your specific vehicle quote.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2013, 14:47 by Mark V GTD »

Offline matt2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2013, 15:45 »
Thanks for the link.

I can't generate the quote yet as I don't how much I am getting for my car/how much I am getting the car for.

All we have discussed is the monthly cost.
Golf GTD Mk VII | DBP | DSG | Discover Nav

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 01 December 2013, 18:25 »
Thanks for the link.

I can't generate the quote yet as I don't how much I am getting for my car/how much I am getting the car for.

All we have discussed is the monthly cost.

Whoah there! You need to know all the variables to know if you have a good deal or not - monthly figs mean very little on a car with strong residuals. You need to know what your part ex value is and whether it is a fair price, what discount (if any) you're getting on the new one. Only then do you come to monthly figs.

No offense, but you've been a bit naive here. Get some figs from Parkers and webuyanycar for your car's worth. You should be looking at parkers value for yours and a grand's discount against the new one at minimum, or brokers prices for the new one and bottom book or webuyanycar value for your part ex.

No wonder your dealer is slow in providing the figures, he's probably deciding how to maximise profit and keep your monthly payment as per verbal expectations.

Get a market value for your p/x, start with rrp for your new car (inc options) and see what the finance calculator gives youfor a monthly figure. Change new car cost down on calculator until you get your monthly figs.

So many ways of hiding unnecessary options in a monthly fig, or manipulate terms like contract mileage etc.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline matt2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 01 December 2013, 18:42 »
Thanks for the advice.

I've put a deposit down which means my name goes on the waiting list for a gtd but once I test drive it this week, at that point I can decide whether or not to progress and if I chose to walk, I get my deposit back.

The reason that I am pushing for the finance figures is so I can make a reasoned decision about the deal this week. Nothing will be signed until I see the values and do everything that you suggest.

Thanks for the advice - always good to have  another opinion.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 01 December 2013, 19:03 »
If you're not even on a list at this point, shop around with other local dealers. What do you have in part ex?
If it's not particularly desirable to a vw dealer to keep on their used forecourt (VAG brand and less than 5 years old) , I'd sell privately and order from a broker for top discount. No bother getting vw finance from a broker appointed vw dealership.

Offline matt2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 01 December 2013, 20:23 »
I have a 3 year old Golf Mk6 match with 19k on the clock - a reasonable amount of equity in that one. As I said, as soon as I get the finanance numbers from the dealer, I'll decide what to do.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 02 December 2013, 11:27 »
I would suggest paying very close attention to Monkeyhangers advice - clearly a chap who knows eaxactly what he is talking about!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 02 December 2013, 12:02 »
Does seem a little shady that the dealer hasn’t provided firm figures yet for you to scrutinise, yet expected a deposit straight away when presumably they have no intention of ordering the car at point of deposit taken.

Go through those figs carefully. I’m always wary of anyone selling something on a “how much can you afford per month?” basis rather than telling you physical costs of the product, interest etc. Look at the cash price and then see what VW finance does to that. Only by looking at the cash price of your order vs RRP can you decide whether you’re getting a good deal (via discounts or a favourable p/x value). If you “can afford” more than the car would cost with a decent p/x at full RRP, they could knock your p/x value down to fit the ceiling of what you’re prepared to pay on a monthly basis, or add in non-required optional extras.

Most dealers will give you a GAP valuation for your car now, some give you a price based on what it’s worth now, or in the near future. On a 3 year old car that’s likely to be p/xing in the £10 – 12k range, depending on which engine your match has, and whether it is 3 or 5 door (assumed good condition due to the low mileage), you could find your p/x price varying by as much as £1500 between dealerships, depending on what criteria they use to value it. Expect a very generous p/x value if you are getting little or no discount. Have a look at their used stock, find one at your spec or closest to it and see what the price is. A “fair” p/x value is usually at around 80% of the sticker price of what it will be up for, so if they have one up for £15k, I’d expect to be offered £12k in p/x.

You can get a free GAP valuation on Vauxhall’s website (you usually have to pay a few quid for one). They determine a GAP p/x price for you, on the assumption that you’re looking to buy a Vauxhall – so you may get a few emails from eager dealers. Your car is probably depreciating at the rate of about £1000 every 6 months right now, so if you do get a part-ex offer for £1000 less than GAP, based on a 5/6 month delivery, it’ll be to give a valuation that’s relevant to the date of new car collection. If they can get you a GTD within 3 months, I’d expect them to only understate your p/x worth by £500 etc. If they only give you what your car will be worth at pick-up point, they’re giving you nowt unless they give you a list price discount.

Overgenerous p/x value or significant discount on the car (maybe both!) is what you should be aiming for.

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 03 December 2013, 20:31 »
MH's advice is right. I've worked in sales for years (though pride myself on my ethics) and a "how much can you afford" question is only asked to get money out of you...though it could be to asked to protect you by the right person
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline matt2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 06 December 2013, 09:02 »
Well, after being promised the quotes on Saturday, I heard nothing.

I sent a mail in Sunday asking that they be sent without fail on Monday. I heard nothing.

I sent a mail on Wednesday night pointing out how disappointed I was with the person I have been dealing with and asking whether the dealership wanted my repeat custom. I've heard nothing.

I'll give them until the end of the day and then I'll drop the dealer principal and the dealer an email asking for my money back.