Author Topic: New to VW, Golf's and Diesel! :)  (Read 7364 times)

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
Re: New to VW, Golf's and Diesel! :)
« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2013, 16:24 »
oooo (Although i knew this, it is more official :) ) - update from my Lease agency!

Hopefully not long to wait! :) - although early could mean anything in the first 2 weeks? :)

How good are the standard tyres in ice and snow? hehe :)
VW Golf MK7 GTD Manual 5DR Pure White

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2013, 21:01 »
Oh i made a schoolboy error!!!

Got a call from the lease company today saying it is at the garage! (In northumberland).... and ready to be delivered, however your licence expires! OMG... double check.... baby-jeeeesus... 2011!  - sent off at lunch time to renew... (Why they couldnt tell me when i scanned and sent 4 weeks ago, and why i didnt notice, or get a letter!)... anyway ... crossing fingers the DVLA are lovely amazing quick peoples... and the licence turns up asap! as soon as i send it back, its 3-5 days wait! eeeeek!

So much like a kid at Christmas... knowing a second Christmas is round the corner!!

Offline Moffs

• Just got here
« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2013, 22:58 »
Your circumstances mirror mine exactly, even down to the photo license expiry!! Lease company told me just before delivery was arranged even though they had my documents for some months prior. My fault though as should have noticed myself but DVLA returned the new license in 2 days!

Anyway, i got a stock red one off the same offer 3 weeks ago and I'm well happy with it. Not too many twisty roads up here and always seem to be sat in a queue or on the M60 but even so i get to blip it a few times a day. the power in 3rd gear is especially impressive.

Haven't really found anything i'm not happy with - other than setting my seat position again after the wife has had it.  :whistle: oh and getting the bluetooth to read text messages is proving to be a problem - think its more to do with my WP7 though than the car.

Its a mint car  :cool:     

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2013, 23:31 »
Wow, thanks for the reply Moffs!

Great news on the 2 days!
 I'm holding out hope that th epost office have a secret back office or similar! :) - And ahhh WP7... (being a mobile phone software developer as a hobby.... ther's many this i won't say! :P hehe) - but thankfully i don't do much phone stuff in the car... however the missus is tiny... so the seats will cause havoc!

Just found out this week i'm getting a dog next week... a 16 year old one at that... so will soon get to test the boot out! :)

Can't wait to hear how it pans out over the next few weeks for you. How's the 3 door? I say this as my last few cars have been 3 doors, and i really could do with some rest! (Without the constant in and outs to let people in etc).... any extra space, room etc, or nice n easy?

Offline Moffs

• Just got here
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2013, 23:52 »
I got the 5 door and with 2 kids and a dog I'm glad i did. Seat position is an OCD of mine but they are very supportive and look lovely. Averaging 40 mpg over nearly 3 full tanks and 1040 miles so i hope that creeps up a little over time. Little things on this car make me smile like the red needles glowing on the dash before you fire up, strip lighting on the doors and sills, headlights look great. You won't be disappointed.

My first Golf and have come from an E-class, Discovery and Saab in recent years.

Post office send info and photo to DVLA online so there is no delay in issuing your new license. 

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 21 November 2013, 09:18 »
Ahhh sorry, misread as 3 door :) - was late n tired :)

Great news again, so crossing fingers a week for the licence, and a new car for my week off :) (Well, moving home takes priority, but a few days on the south downs in the GTD! Looking forward to it!)

Not a bad average for just over 1k miles... seen worse on these forums, and that's more than i'm getting now, so bubbly bonus :)

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2013, 10:28 »
Oh i made a schoolboy error!!!

Got a call from the lease company today saying it is at the garage! (In northumberland).... and ready to be delivered, however your licence expires! OMG... double check.... baby-jeeeesus... 2011!  - sent off at lunch time to renew... (Why they couldnt tell me when i scanned and sent 4 weeks ago, and why i didnt notice, or get a letter!)... anyway ... crossing fingers the DVLA are lovely amazing quick peoples... and the licence turns up asap! as soon as i send it back, its 3-5 days wait! eeeeek!

So much like a kid at Christmas... knowing a second Christmas is round the corner!!

You're lucky that you haven't been pulled between then and now... it has happened to a quite a few people by all accounts... driving without a licence... these photo licences only last for 10 years (iirc) before you have to renew them...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 21 November 2013, 10:57 »
Agreed! - i have been pulled over, but ironically only seem to carry my paper licence. (Non intentional!)
Thankfully no points etc, so i've just been lucky i suppose.

Anyway - in the post, and i'll be back to being legal in no time :)
(And my paper licence, which consists of about 20 parts will be replaced too!, i hope!)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 21 November 2013, 10:57 »
Hate those things – neither part on its own is good enough for anyone needing to see it (hiring a car etc). The whole purpose of it was so that people could just carry the photocard in their wallet. You get 7 days to produce your docs if you are pulled over by the police for anything. The old paper one could last you forever, you just changed it when you moved house. The need for a photocard and therefore the 10 year renewal seems to be there purely as a guaranteed revenue stream for the DVLA.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 21 November 2013, 15:19 »
The whole 2-part license thing is plain stupid and I cant believe its lasted this long....

Its also news to me about the license expiry - just checked mine and although its good until 05/16 I am surprised - so thanks for the heads up on that!