Author Topic: New to VW, Golf's and Diesel! :)  (Read 7366 times)

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
New to VW, Golf's and Diesel! :)
« on: 06 November 2013, 19:58 »
Hi All, (Hope this post is ok in this forum/folder/etc)

Very excited as my order has just gone through for a new Mk7 Golf GTD, Very similar to 'Sootchuckers' posts on the GOLFMK7 Forum (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2154).

Spent along time hunting out other cars (About 4-6 months!) - and finally rested on the GTD :) because:
a, it was on a work lease offer,
b, it is in stock and i'm hoping to get it in early December :) (Apologies to anyone who's waited for a v long time for their order!) - and finally
c, it does look and sound awesome! :)

I got no choice on extras so it will just be pure white and stock. Would have loved the pro navigation and key-less entry option, but meh! I'm sure it will be fine @ stock :)

I've noticed hardly any VW garages have one in stock (1 in Brighton currently, but has been sold already so will be gone v soon), so i'm yet to see one in person.

As mentioned in the title, never owned a VW, Golf or a diesel (I almost went for a DSG, that would have been an addition!) - however hugely confident after seeing nearly every review in magazines, websites and youtube that i've not made the wrong decision.

My aim was comfort, and a little bit of fun. (Meh... the GTi looks awesome, but the MPG on the GTD makes more sense for me) - also, the lure of the what looks like, quality build was another big decision.

Anyway crossing fingers, and rather than refreshing the VW order pages, i'll be refreshing my work email in hope of something in the next month! (Move home at the end of nov, so a week off and a new car would be awesome!).... Finally time to get rid of the 2004 Fiat Punto 1.2 :P (Sporting! ooOoo) :)

Any other GTD's around West Sussex? :)

p.s. been a forum (non-registered) lurker for a while, but now the order's gone through, thought it would be nice to say hello.
P.s.s. sorry about the smiley face overload - pretty excited!

« Last Edit: 06 November 2013, 20:17 by noobmonkey »
VW Golf MK7 GTD Manual 5DR Pure White

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
Re: New to VW, Golf's and Diesel! :)
« Reply #1 on: 06 November 2013, 20:43 »
A good choice mate - the manual is excellent.  Main thing I'd say is keep any real life mpg expectations in perspective (i.e. nothing like 67.3 if you drive it properly!!).  Still far more efficient than petrol, with an edge on torque/weight ratio and £30 (£20 for me) road tax :smug: 
Be prepared to seriously p1ss some members off with that lead time :grin: :grin:
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2013, 20:56 »
hehe Good points well made! (And thank you for the message / kind welcome)

Yes, and I would like to re-iterate my apologies on the lead time, may the delivery gremlins bite me, and yours all come sooner than expected! - I've gone through similar waits for tech kit, but never a car (Mobile developer with a Nokia N900 - meh, geekish, sorry - but that was a year!) - must be hell on earth waiting for 6/7+ months for the the GTD/GTI etc!

I get somewhere around 45-58 MPG on the 9 year old punto, so anything above is a boost :)
Have to admit, i'm a bit surprised with just how nice the Pure white looks, my dream would have been the Oryx (I think that is the right name?) - but overall, i've not seen a nicer car (That i can afford) in stock spec.

I'm hoping or at least expecting I should at least get 44-50mpg, depending on the driving (I've not got that heavier a foot, and I'm sure wearing it in takes a while)

Being a lease car I don't really have to worry about the tax etc (Most likely helped towards the lower lease cost to be honest!), but i'm sure i'll worry at the end of the lease when i can't afford to buy it outright (but could afford a new model :P - crossing fingers!)

The only downside with all the MK7 Golf love, is that my expectations are now pretty high!! - and i've run out of youtube videos! Aghhh! :P

Also... having a previous car collection which is just random from a nova, MG Metro / TF / Zs, Fiesta, Astra, Vectra, Punto, Rover 25,  & various company cars.. i'm not a car afficionado, but would still love that balance of fun with comfort. (Don't get me wrong, the TF was an awesome go kart that fell to pieces, the ZS sounded like it wanted to eat children, and the nova... ok forget the nova<saloon> hehe)...

So, high expectations, awesome reviews, darn sexy , and a decent'ish MPG (For the type of car that is)... sounds like it's going to be a good Xmas :)

Am i really going to miss not having the pro navigation kit over the standard CMS?... I have a tom tom and multiple phones, but the navigation on the dash does look great!

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2013, 21:36 »
I can reassure you that you'll love it. I've never owned a golf before and this one is amazing. For me the GTD feels powerful but in a way that you don't realise you're going fast. A quick dab of the accelerator and you're at 60 already. Doesn't feel rapid acceleration but feels fast enough.

Shame you haven't gone for nav, think that'll be the only thing you'll miss as the big screen is just begging for maps to be displayed on it.

Get some pictures up on here when you do get it. White looks a great colour.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2013, 21:44 »
Well obviously I'm biased  :grin: :grin: :grin: (I'm Sootchucker from the other forum !).

Congrats. As others have said you will love it, just as Skinnee D said, just be realistic about the MPG, and it shouldn't disappoint at all.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2013, 21:55 »
Thanks Kyle :) - agreed - but for when i get it, at least i can give a review on the standard screen - will be better than the, well... no screen i currently have :)

Very very intrigued about the Torque / power available. Can't wait to see and feel it in action
I've driven a few powerful cars TVR / Merc SLK, and back in the day a few RS Fiesta's - however, not sure any really had the pulling power. (Ok all had good acceleration!)

Got some lovely country roads down here in the downs, ok, not quite the beautiful yorkshire moors / devon windy'ness etc, but enough to have a fun test.  Also, i used to live in Hamburg, so planning on taking this on a Deutsch tour, and testing it on the autobahn (and possibly Nürburgring).

So far a few thing's i've noticed, and Q's just from reading/viewing:

• Pure white does look awesome! (Sorry owned 4 grey cars, 1 red and 2 black, and well... i have to defy my lovely mother once in a while.... (And my options for the quick delivery and cheaper price only included black, red, reflex silver and pure white))
  • The golf ball! - (Sorry to the golf fanatics!) - whats it like?! (Ie the gear stick... not a free GTD golf ball with every model) - or do you just get used to it naturally with the dimples etc?
  • The leg room in the back: My dad is 6'5ish... any chance of him getting in? (For the record, when i got the MGTF, my mum asked where the back seats were.... so, well... it could be worse)
  • How does the variable boot work, looks very well designed, and 1 handed control is possible?

I do Photography as a hobby, so planning some moody HDR GTD shots! (ooooo a little YAY just came out...) hehe :P - not sure i'll beat sootchucker's photos though! :)

And Norbreck21a (you posted as i am typing! - did you hear me type your name again! :P) - wow i love your car!!! - it is beautiful! :) :) - And what an awesome cleaning/clean-up job you did. So impressed. -> also, awesome photo's - just what i needed to see, and the best/most detailed to date. Keep up the great work.

Ok... so, final question. (And comparisons etc allowed...) - How bad is the road noise when driving, i hear above 50mph you have wind noise?

(Currently i have road noise all the time, and a rattly steering wheel!... but what i mean, is it intrusive, or just a niggle?)

Thank you again for your replies peeps.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2013, 22:57 »
I have to honestly say, my GTD is one (if not the) quietest car I have ever owned. At 70-80 mph there's very little road noise (on half decent surfaces), and in mine at least hardly any wind noise.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2013, 23:04 »
Ahhhh i don't normally miss facebook, but would like to 'like' your post :) - thank you :)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 07 November 2013, 08:16 »
Noobmonkey:

No noticeable road noise on mine to 80mph – massively quieter on the move than my VW Scirocco (frameless windows and significant panel gaps compared to the Golf). Expect 45mpg on short (<15 miles) and 50mpg on longer trips, maybe add 5mpg to each of those when the car has more than 5k miles on it.

Standard equipment is fine – especially if your hands are tied on a works lease to add stuff in. Looking at your list of previous cars, I don’t think you will be disappointed by the tactile feel of this car, there is definitely nothing feeling cheap or flimsy inside or out of the car – VWs feel solid, even if they maybe aren’t massively over-reliable next to the competition any more. Although I’ve had plenty of warranty work on my previous 6 VWs, I have never had a fault that has stopped the car from working.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2013, 16:36 »
Thank you monkeyhanger, very good to hear :)

To be fair, any road noise is not going to be comparable to the MGTF, so i think i'll be fine! :)

Also with regards to the MPG, again looking at the other threads... Anything above 40 is a bonus :) - and it should reach that, whilst i do do some short trips, i should cancel it out with some much longer ones :)

Just had a mini heart attack, as i had concerns that i may have missed the boat on the limited GTD Lease offer (Due to my finance department taking 2 weeks to sign 2 forms...)
Called them up to double check and got told it's ok i'm the "Last one on the spreadsheet" good to know i'm in capable-if-not-technical hands!
And confirmation delivery 'should' be 2 to 3 weeks from today. (So therefore set expectations @ Christmas, and i'll be a happy boy! :))

I saw a GTI today! - ok, passing outside from the window at 50mph! - but it did look a beaut :) (Not jealous, as i prefer the non-red stripe and seats, hehe - little i know, but prefer a much plainer car :) )