Author Topic: Do you consider the GTD noisy - engine wise  (Read 13729 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Do you consider the GTD noisy - engine wise
« on: 20 September 2013, 18:13 »
Whilst I (and the wife) absolutely love the GTD, the wife made a jokey comment last night, that when I pulled off the drive yesterday morning, the car sounded like a taxi. I had a listen tonight, and certainly compared to my 140ps Scirocco I had before, on tick over, the GTD, is much louder and more diesel "tappetey" like than the Scirocco (which really impressed me from day one with how quiet it was on tick over).

Is this just a newness thing, and do you think it will quieten down ? Anyone else noticed this with theirs ?

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Do you consider the GTD noisy - engine wise
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2013, 18:22 »
Whilst I (and the wife) absolutely love the GTD, the wife made a jokey comment last night, that when I pulled off the drive yesterday morning, the car sounded like a taxi. I had a listen tonight, and certainly compared to my 140ps Scirocco I had before, on tick over, the GTD, is much louder and more diesel "tappetey" like than the Scirocco (which really impressed me from day one with how quiet it was on tick over).

Is this just a newness thing, and do you think it will quieten down ? Anyone else noticed this with theirs ?

Is that just the sound actuator? Even in "normal" it's doing a little something to boost the interior noise. Mine seems as quiet in "eco" as the scirocco was in "normal". It's more likely to get quieter over run in than louder.

The trouble with comparing to the last car is that you are comparing the tight new car to the well run in old one rather than remembering how the old one was in it's first week.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2013, 18:35 »
I'm talking about the car at standstill Monkeyhanger, just on tick over on the drive.

Inside whilst driving, its much quieter than the Scirocco (expect when I have the Dynaudio turned up  :evil:)
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2013, 18:49 »
I'm talking about the car at standstill Monkeyhanger, just on tick over on the drive.

Inside whilst driving, its much quieter than the Scirocco (expect when I have the Dynaudio turned up  :evil:)

Nope, don't think so. Maybe the 170 was a bit noisier than the 140?  :undecided:

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2013, 11:58 »
Had my window down last night briefly and noticed the engine sounded quite taxi like. Was wondering if it is noiser when its going through a DPF regen?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2013, 12:22 »
Had my window down last night briefly and noticed the engine sounded quite taxi like. Was wondering if it is noiser when its going through a DPF regen?

It will if it's going through an active regen rather than a passive one then it'll sound a bit taxi-like because the idling revs are at 1000 rather than just below 800. My first active regen came in at 65 miles!

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2013, 13:05 »

It will if it's going through an active regen rather than a passive one then it'll sound a bit taxi-like because the idling revs are at 1000 rather than just below 800. My first active regen came in at 65 miles!

Any other way to tell (like do you get anything on the MFD?). Thinking back don't think it was a regen or anything because my Stop-Start was working.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2013, 13:13 »

Any other way to tell (like do you get anything on the MFD?). Thinking back don't think it was a regen or anything because my Stop-Start was working.

No messages to let you know. If it is doing a passive regen the idling will be normal but the stop-start won't work, you won't see much of a mpg penalty. Active regen and you will see the idling revs increase as well as the stop start not working, and a very noticeable fuel penalty.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2013, 13:26 »
No messages to let you know. If it is doing a passive regen the idling will be normal but the stop-start won't work, you won't see much of a mpg penalty. Active regen and you will see the idling revs increase as well as the stop start not working, and a very noticeable fuel penalty.

Hmm..Can't say I've had a regen yet then and I've done about 400 miles. I'll keep my eye out. How long does it last?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2013, 16:04 »

Hmm..Can't say I've had a regen yet then and I've done about 400 miles. I'll keep my eye out. How long does it last?

Depends how you're driving. If you're on dual carriageways doing 70+ mph for a lot of your driving for at least 15 miins a session, you've probably done all your regens passively in a fraction of your journey and not even known about it. If you've been tootling around the doors and not had a regen within 400 miles then something very odd is happening.