Author Topic: Winter Tyres Setting on MFD  (Read 13868 times)

Offline MK6-Fan

• GTI forum regular
Winter Tyres Setting on MFD
« on: 15 September 2013, 21:56 »
On my 2012 MK6 Golf 'Match' I was browsing the options in the MFD the other day & came across an option about Winter Tyres.  Does anyone know what this setting does?  :embarrassed:

Thanks

2012 Golf MK6 Match 3dr|1.4 TSI 122PS|Manual|Solid Black|MFSW|RCD510|

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Re: Winter Tyres Setting on MFD
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2013, 22:23 »
It warns you if you exceed a maximum set speed for when you have winter tyres fitted.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2013, 22:24 »
If you have it enabled, I believe it gives out an audible warning alarm as you approach the max speed for your winter tyres (which will have a max speed rating). 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2013, 23:36 »
I thought it was for the reduction in speed when having thicker tyres on, for example changing to 225x50x18, it has a slower rolling resistance over 225x40x18 therefore you adjust your speedo to give correct reading

MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2013, 00:02 »
I thought it was for the reduction in speed when having thicker tyres on, for example changing to 225x50x18, it has a slower rolling resistance over 225x40x18 therefore you adjust your speedo to give correct reading

The winter tyres you fit are supposed to be the same rolling circumference as the standard tyres.
VW fit 225/45/17s and 225/40/18s which are pretty close.
The suggested winter tyre size is 205/55/16 (I think) which is again, roughly the same rolling circumference.

As long as the rolling circumference is within a few % there is no need to re-calibrate the speedo - although you need to reset the Tyre Pressure Monitoring or it thinks you have a puncture!

I believe the warning is as stated, to warn you of the speed limit of your tyres, as winter tyres tend to be lower rated than summer tyres.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2013, 00:10 »

The winter tyres you fit are supposed to be the same rolling circumference as the standard tyres.
VW fit 225/45/17s and 225/40/18s which are pretty close.
The suggested winter tyre size is 205/55/16 (I think) which is again, roughly the same rolling circumference.

As long as the rolling circumference is within a few % there is no need to re-calibrate the speedo - although you need to reset the Tyre Pressure Monitoring or it thinks you have a puncture!

I believe the warning is as stated, to warn you of the speed limit of your tyres, as winter tyres tend to be lower rated than summer tyres.

Yeah i know you are "suppose to" adjust rim diameter with tyre, i know people who dont. If you are going from 40 to 45 or from 45 to 50 the rolling road speed changes.

I thought thats what it was for, but you could be right as i have never used that feature  :undecided:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2013, 00:29 »
Yeah i know you are "suppose to" adjust rim diameter with tyre, i know people who dont. If you are going from 40 to 45 or from 45 to 50 the rolling road speed changes.

I thought thats what it was for, but you could be right as i have never used that feature  :undecided:

You only change the tyre aspect ratio by 5 if you change the diameter.
You won't get, for example, 225/50/18 tyres to fit on a Golf!

For every 1" diameter you go up, you drop 5 on the aspect ratio...assuming you keep the width the same.
So people don't bother because the new tyres are close to the old tyres in their rolling circumference.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2013, 08:05 »
For every 1" diameter you go up, you drop 5 on the aspect ratio...assuming you keep the width the same.
So people don't bother because the new tyres are close to the old tyres in their rolling circumference.

That will be correct in some cases, but is a bit of a sweeping statement that could misinform some interneters. Changing up from 205-55-16's for example would require a 225-45-17 tyre to keep the rolling circumference somewhere near the same.

There are various tyre size calculators around to help people select the correct size tyre for their upgrade. Some even take into account wheel widths and offsets like this one. http://www.tire-size-calculator.info/
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2013, 16:49 »

That will be correct in some cases, but is a bit of a sweeping statement that could misinform some interneters. Changing up from 205-55-16's for example would require a 225-45-17 tyre to keep the rolling circumference somewhere near the same.

There are various tyre size calculators around to help people select the correct size tyre for their upgrade. Some even take into account wheel widths and offsets like this one. http://www.tire-size-calculator.info/

That's why I stated "assuming you keep the width the same".
Clearly going from a 205 to 225 wide tyre changes things.

Offline spiderman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2013, 17:29 »
If you have it enabled, I believe it gives out an audible warning alarm as you approach the max speed for your winter tyres (which will have a max speed rating).
This is correct, i have 16" winter wheels and tyres for mine and when i changed them last winter, i set the max speed warning on the MFD just for a laugh to see what it does, it goes "bong" like it does when you get an ice warning, massive anti climax :rolleyes:

The only thing you have to do, is reset the Tyre pressure warning once it goes off and then it re-calibrates to suit the new wheels, you have to do it again when you switch back in spring.

Sandy
« Last Edit: 20 September 2013, 17:32 by spiderman »
Looking something classic