Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2741086 times)

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11750 on: 08 October 2021, 19:44 »
Took advantage of the weather and fitted underbody panels - larger engine skidtray, short exhaust panel, larger exhaust panel on the nearside, rear axle cover, rear suspension stone guard/aerofoil cover. Supposed to improve mpg so will see over the next couple of months and not much more than a couple of tanks of fuel. Certainly provides lots of underbody protection from muck etc even if it does not improve economy.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11751 on: 08 October 2021, 20:02 »
I'm in a similar boat I'm 4k/5k miles in since I got mine, and up £3k for a years worth of driving, would be more but small modifications and ppf fairly reduced it... Luckily there's nothing as good as a mk7 golf worth changing to at the minute apart from my neighbours TCR with factory Akrapovic exhaust  :whistle:

You've done really well then! :laugh: I've not heard the akra exhaust, any good? I'm pretty pleased with the standard one, has a good tone without being too loud, perfect for me.

Took advantage of the weather and fitted underbody panels - larger engine skidtray, short exhaust panel, larger exhaust panel on the nearside, rear axle cover, rear suspension stone guard/aerofoil cover. Supposed to improve mpg so will see over the next couple of months and not much more than a couple of tanks of fuel. Certainly provides lots of underbody protection from muck etc even if it does not improve economy.

Please report back your findings, if you don't mind :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #11752 on: 08 October 2021, 20:14 »

there's nothing as good as a mk7 golf

There really isn’t. Coming up to 3 years ownership I was thinking just that.

@Watts, good to hear you’re back on the road and no leak. Mine goes for service in the next month, if my coolant level drops again I’ll get them to take a look
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11753 on: 08 October 2021, 20:30 »
I'm in a similar boat I'm 4k/5k miles in since I got mine, and up £3k for a years worth of driving, would be more but small modifications and ppf fairly reduced it... Luckily there's nothing as good as a mk7 golf worth changing to at the minute apart from my neighbours TCR with factory Akrapovic exhaust  :whistle:

You've done really well then! :laugh: I've not heard the akra exhaust, any good? I'm pretty pleased with the standard one, has a good tone without being too loud, perfect for me.

I would have done really well, plenty more mods to do and 100k more miles to go!  :grin:

Standard TCR (chrome tips) is slightly louder than a more GTI so I've been told, and the Akrapovic is just a £3k titanium backbox delete, so little louder again & bit more aggressive but not yobbish.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #11754 on: 09 October 2021, 12:12 »
I did a WBAC just for fun and assuming they paid out the offer price, I'm up a fiver on what I paid for the car 20 months and 13.5k miles ago! I know it means nothing in reality but it's nice to think you've had all that depreciation free motoring!

Just checked mine- bought for £28k, now wbac offering £24k after 3 years and 18k miles.
Meanwhile the 205 bought for £8k, now worth around £12k after 2 years and 5k miles.
So that’s no depreciation in 3 years motoring. Different reasons, of course.

My dad bought a lancia beta coupe in the 70s when inflation was rampant. I remember that car very well.
He tells me he sold it after 3 years for as much as he paid for it brand new.

I don’t expect buyers are getting much- if any- discount on new cars so the idea of “ cashing in” makes no sense at all.

Out of interest, anyone know the discount you can get on a new Golf GTI?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11755 on: 09 October 2021, 12:29 »
I don’t expect buyers are getting much- if any- discount on new cars so the idea of “ cashing in” makes no sense at all.

I think you’re only likely to get a decent discount if buying through a broker such as Drive the Deal,  but if you do that you’ll be in for a long, long wait. For anyone lucky enough to find a new in-stock unregistered car at a dealers that matches their colour / spec requirements, I agree that they’ll be unlikely to get much if any discount:- if anything, with the current market conditions, the dealer might be looking for more than list price!

Agree that cashing in makes little sense, unless you have another car to make use of while while you’re waiting patiently for that factory order to be built. 
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11756 on: 09 October 2021, 12:44 »
When I was at the dealers yesterday they wanted £52k for a demo car that was £42k list.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #11757 on: 09 October 2021, 12:46 »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11758 on: 09 October 2021, 18:38 »
I found this interesting..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZlBNS4OmaI

Me too, thanks!

Today there was witchcraft in my car. My OH had her Spotify on her mobile playing via bluetooth on the car's system! We've never done that before! Sound quality was a bit sh!te though. Also, when she connected it up via the USB, the volume control wouldn't go up, only down :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11759 on: 09 October 2021, 19:44 »
Today there was witchcraft in my car. My OH had her Spotify on her mobile playing via bluetooth on the car's system! We've never done that before! Sound quality was a bit sh!te though. Also, when she connected it up via the USB, the volume control wouldn't go up, only down :rolleyes:

Strange Volkswagen actually recommend you use bluetooth instead of the USB for the best sound quality, maybe the issue was Abba wasn't playing?  :grin:

Also if you go into Settings > Playback > Equalizer > Small Speakers on Spotify it really improves the sound on everything a phone plays music on, I do it with the Dynaudio on mine and it's a night and day difference.

In other news with mine, I kerbed an alloy today so naturally the car is now a Class C/N write off. So currently trying to decide between satin black or Blue chrome for a full set refurb, as I was never fussed on the original matte graphite colour.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2021, 19:47 by willni »
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/