Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2740351 times)

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11740 on: 05 October 2021, 21:57 »
Today I caused my car to have a breakdown and need to be recovered. Yes, that's right, I caused it. I feel like such a doughnut although the words I used to describe myself at the time were a wee bit stronger and not repeatable here.

So, what did I do?

Or in this case, didn't do.

I topped up my coolant and forgot to replace the cap :rolleyes:

So, once topped up I popped out for some petrol and struck it lucky on the first attempt at the local Tesco. Only a 1.5 mile round trip so not enough to cause a problem. Then after lunch, the OH wanted to go shopping, so we got 3 miles down the road when I noticed steam coming from under the bonnet. I pulled over straight away and switched off, I knew what the problem was going to be. Coolant all over the place. Couldn't find the cap anywhere so I ordered another whilst we awaited the arrival of the RAC - 3.5 hours. Luckily my OH was very understanding and didn't get angry or upset. Got towed home on a bar so I was steering which was odd but I did manage 50.1 mpg, given the engine wasn't running I expected better!

So my own stupidity and perhaps a sign that the old gray matter is becoming unreliable?

Did a similar thing on a Nova when I was a kid about 36 years ago, except it was the oil filler cap. The smoke and smell was exceptional😂. I found the cap back at the garage I’d used to put oil in.

MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #11741 on: 06 October 2021, 05:29 »
Ouch!  :shocked:

Did the engine actually overheat, or was the steam just from coolant spilling out onto the hot engine?
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11742 on: 06 October 2021, 08:44 »
Ouch!  :shocked:

Did the engine actually overheat, or was the steam just from coolant spilling out onto the hot engine?

Fortunately not, just the coolant spilling. I didn't get a low coolant warning either, or at least not until I started it to move the car behind the towing vehicle.

I topped up the coolant last night which was about 0.5L so I think most of what was lost was that in the coolant tank. My replacement cap is now in stock so once I have that I'll get it running and try and remove any trapped air. Should all be okay.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11743 on: 06 October 2021, 11:20 »
My replacement cap is now in stock so once I have that I'll get it running and try and remove any trapped air. Should all be okay.

Just stuff a bit of ol` rag in the top, it`ll be fine  :wink:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #11744 on: 06 October 2021, 13:13 »
Thought the cooling system has to be pressurised to keep the coolant from boiling at the high temperatures (which is why you never take a cap off a hot engine), so surely a rag would just be blown out ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11745 on: 06 October 2021, 19:50 »
On the the Isle of Skye at Portree and went out today to go out to be met 15 yards down the road to rear left pressure warning. Stopped at the nearest garage to find a massive screw straight through the tyre. Luckily it was right in the middle and repairable so that was ok. Checked and double checked that they could repair without damaging the rim and pleasantly surprised that they have. The young lad who removed the wheel was extremely careful and very precise removing and refitting. Well impressed 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11746 on: 06 October 2021, 20:21 »
On the the Isle of Skye at Portree and went out today to go out to be met 15 yards down the road to rear left pressure warning. Stopped at the nearest garage to find a massive screw straight through the tyre. Luckily it was right in the middle and repairable so that was ok. Checked and double checked that they could repair without damaging the rim and pleasantly surprised that they have. The young lad who removed the wheel was extremely careful and very precise removing and refitting. Well impressed 👍

Great and proper service! Are you there on holiday?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11747 on: 06 October 2021, 22:41 »
Yes up here on holiday.  Couldn't come last year for obvious reasons and already booked for next year  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11748 on: 08 October 2021, 17:59 »
Had mine at the dealers today, under bonnet insulation replaced, the new one apart from fitting properly, just looks so much nicer, clean and black rather than grey. They had a clean up after my coolant went everywhere and checked for leaks, all good. Coolant level has also settled now since I topped it back off. So all good and it's great to be out driving again :smiley:

I did a WBAC just for fun and assuming they paid out the offer price, I'm up a fiver on what I paid for the car 20 months and 13.5k miles ago! I know it means nothing in reality but it's nice to think you've had all that depreciation free motoring!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11749 on: 08 October 2021, 18:45 »
Had mine at the dealers today, under bonnet insulation replaced, the new one apart from fitting properly, just looks so much nicer, clean and black rather than grey. They had a clean up after my coolant went everywhere and checked for leaks, all good. Coolant level has also settled now since I topped it back off. So all good and it's great to be out driving again :smiley:

I did a WBAC just for fun and assuming they paid out the offer price, I'm up a fiver on what I paid for the car 20 months and 13.5k miles ago! I know it means nothing in reality but it's nice to think you've had all that depreciation free motoring!

I'm in a similar boat I'm 4k/5k miles in since I got mine, and up £3k for a years worth of driving, would be more but small modifications and ppf fairly reduced it... Luckily there's nothing as good as a mk7 golf worth changing to at the minute apart from my neighbours TCR with factory Akrapovic exhaust  :whistle:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/