Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2774030 times)

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #12400 on: 05 August 2022, 12:05 »
 Completed a main service on mine with spark plug change and all filters. Now the car is approaching 6 years old and is a keeper, I’ve decided to service it myself. Quite enjoy doing it and saves money. I’ll keep all on the VW parts receipts for reference.

I was a little nervous about removing the coil packs but read it’s best to remove when the engine is hot and they came out no problem. Just wanted to pass that on in case people were put off doing this at home.

Spark plugs at 42K looked as good as new.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #12401 on: 05 August 2022, 12:14 »
I too like the idea of servicing the car myself, I have two services to go on the "all in one" package before I do it myself, it should have 15k miles and had 8 VW services carried out by then.

Paul70, if your next step is a stage 1 remap, what about the clutch on your car, will you see how it goes or fit an upgraded clutch assembly yourself beforehand?

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #12402 on: 05 August 2022, 14:40 »
I too like the idea of servicing the car myself, I have two services to go on the "all in one" package before I do it myself, it should have 15k miles and had 8 VW services carried out by then.

Paul70, if your next step is a stage 1 remap, what about the clutch on your car, will you see how it goes or fit an upgraded clutch assembly yourself beforehand?

I will get the clutch upgraded first but don’t know which clutch to go for. Apparently the Sachs is quite heavy so I am tempted by RTS but I’ve heard some bad press about those so still thinking about it. Would appreciate any feedback from other forum members on their experience.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #12403 on: 05 August 2022, 14:50 »
It makes sense to do the clutch first. The internet can scare monger, but I have heard a few tales of upgraded clutches having a detrimental effect on crank float?... Hard to judge as we have to assume a remapped car will be driven harder than a standard car and is it only stage 2 and above cars with 400+bhp which are affected?
I understand revo stage 1 is fairly kind to the clutch compared to other more aggresive maps?

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12404 on: 05 August 2022, 15:09 »
It makes sense to do the clutch first. The internet can scare monger, but I have heard a few tales of upgraded clutches having a detrimental effect on crank float?... Hard to judge as we have to assume a remapped car will be driven harder than a standard car and is it only stage 2 and above cars with 400+bhp which are affected?
I understand revo stage 1 is fairly kind to the clutch compared to other more aggresive maps?

Revo is kind, I have stage 1 and very happy and the DSG gearbox is perfect, not so good if you have a manual though!

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/volkswagen/golf-vii/389/stage-1

and gearbox map

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/volkswagen/golf-vii/389/dq381-tcu-software

That will be next for me.  Is sport manual mode when you kickdown you do get an almighty thump as you take off, a lot of fun but does make me wonder sometimes lol
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

chopper216

« Reply #12405 on: 05 August 2022, 16:23 »

Revo is kind, I have stage 1 and very happy and the DSG gearbox is perfect, not so good if you have a manual though!

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/volkswagen/golf-vii/389/stage-1

and gearbox map

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/volkswagen/golf-vii/389/dq381-tcu-software

That will be next for me.  Is sport manual mode when you kickdown you do get an almighty thump as you take off, a lot of fun but does make me wonder sometimes lol

I also have the Revo map, more than happy with it so far, chose it as I’d read it was a less aggressive tune compared to say APR. Look out for the Revo sales that pop up, usually around October, I’m considering the DSG tune next to get rid of the automatic kick down. There’s so many different opinions on maps that it can melt the head deciding.
« Last Edit: 05 August 2022, 16:27 by chopper216 »

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12406 on: 06 August 2022, 21:41 »
This week be having paint correction… thanks to VW dealer I bought from giving a bucket and sponge to anyone, wheel refurb and ceramic coating applied 😁

This is paint now…

I will follow up Thursday night if all goes to plan.
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12407 on: 06 August 2022, 21:47 »
This week be having paint correction… thanks to VW dealer I bought from giving a bucket and sponge to anyone, wheel refurb and ceramic coating applied 😁

This is paint now…

I will follow up Thursday night if all goes to plan.

Gotta love a dealership 'valet', hopefully they're footing the bill for it?
A chequered previous car history (mainly blue oval, sorry) prior to owning Golf's.
2001 mk4 TDI - died at some traffic lights due to someone not stopping!
2000 mk4 GTD - a dog of a car, sold to WBAC in limp mode!
2000 mk4 1.8T - most fun i've had in a Golf (until now) but nearly cost me my licence!
2020 mk7.5 Tornado Red TCR - current ride.

Online willni

• I live here
« Reply #12408 on: 07 August 2022, 12:10 »
After 1,600 miles I finally got round to expelling the dirt from mine, luckily the inside on needed the pro-nav wiped down and the rubber mats shook out  :smiley:

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12409 on: 07 August 2022, 12:38 »
Looks great as ever!

We've a young sparrow that frequents our front garden and he really doesn't like his own reflection in my rear n/s window. He sits on the rubber seal staring at himself then flies up and down the glass furiously pecking at his reflection. Been doing it most days now for a couple of weeks. Whilst it is great fun to watch, the downside is the amount of small bird calling cards on my door....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.