Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2740755 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11790 on: 25 October 2021, 20:48 »
Nothing to mine as it's still away having an alloy sorted. So we have been out and about in the Lupo. Normally I don't like being a passenger but actually it's been quite nice for a change, partly as my OH has become a bit more aggressive in her driving style (relatively speaking, it's hard to be aggressive in an 18 year old small under powered car :laugh:) but the Lupo is actually quite comfy, roomy enough (ignoring the lack of boot space) and is nippy enough in traffic. And for such an old car, it drives really well, you'd never guess it was it's age.

I hope you start driving it for a few days to experience the shock of lack of breaks to strong brakes  :grin:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11791 on: 25 October 2021, 21:02 »
Nothing to mine as it's still away having an alloy sorted. So we have been out and about in the Lupo. Normally I don't like being a passenger but actually it's been quite nice for a change, partly as my OH has become a bit more aggressive in her driving style (relatively speaking, it's hard to be aggressive in an 18 year old small under powered car :laugh:) but the Lupo is actually quite comfy, roomy enough (ignoring the lack of boot space) and is nippy enough in traffic. And for such an old car, it drives really well, you'd never guess it was it's age.

I hope you start driving it for a few days to experience the shock of lack of breaks to strong brakes  :grin:

I know all about that already having driven it plenty of times over the years (we've had it from new) plus the lack of acceleration, changing gear every 5 seconds (it's geared for town driving, you can get it in fifth at not much over 30) and being bullied by other drivers constantly.  :rolleyes: :grin:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11792 on: 26 October 2021, 13:00 »
Picked my car up from having a wheel powder coated. Still not perfect but I really can't be bothered going back again. 99% of people wouldn't notice anyway.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11793 on: 26 October 2021, 21:02 »
Is the new finish slightly less matt than the original Watts?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11794 on: 26 October 2021, 21:09 »
They've got the finish pretty good, as good as my eyes can see any way. I'm just a bit fed up with the cocking about for what should've been a fairly easy job. There are a few areas that are a bit rough in the groove behind the spokes still but as I said, most people would never notice. I've got too much going on at home to be bothered with any more buggering about.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11795 on: 27 October 2021, 05:40 »
I certainly understand where you’re coming from Watts. Life’s too short despite it being an annoyance.
It’s probably not noticeable from a few feet away I’d hazard a guess, and for most of the next six months it’ll be covered in road filth and salt.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11796 on: 27 October 2021, 10:23 »
They've got the finish pretty good, as good as my eyes can see any way. I'm just a bit fed up with the cocking about for what should've been a fairly easy job. There are a few areas that are a bit rough in the groove behind the spokes still but as I said, most people would never notice. I've got too much going on at home to be bothered with any more buggering about.

Got to pick and choose your battles, the next stage is either buy a new alloy for a perfect match or just refurb all 4 at this point. Who refurbed them anyway? I know Lepsons get a good reputation over there.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11797 on: 27 October 2021, 11:24 »
They sent it off for powder coating, no idea where. The other 3 wheels are in great condition, when I get a chance I'll give them all a deep clean and I have some Gtechniq C5 to seal them. They will only get touched again if they get scuffed. It's only a wheel.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11798 on: 27 October 2021, 13:31 »
Finally swapped the P-Zero's for Pilot Sport 4S.  Really should not have waited more than two years to do so but with the very limited mileage done over the last 18 months it's always seemed like a bit of an extravagance.  Through the use of some top quality man math's I persuaded myself that under normal circumstances I'd be changing them about now anyway... (P-Zero's had done 13k and still had 4.5mm front and 5.5mm rear).

What a revelation in terms of ride and handling.  I didn't think the P-Zero's were that bad, just very prone to tramping and spinning up on damp roads, but the difference feels even greater than when I went from S001's to MP4's on the previous GTI.
TCR 3 door

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11799 on: 27 October 2021, 15:15 »
Finally swapped the P-Zero's for Pilot Sport 4S.  Really should not have waited more than two years to do so but with the very limited mileage done over the last 18 months it's always seemed like a bit of an extravagance.  Through the use of some top quality man math's I persuaded myself that under normal circumstances I'd be changing them about now anyway... (P-Zero's had done 13k and still had 4.5mm front and 5.5mm rear).

What a revelation in terms of ride and handling.  I didn't think the P-Zero's were that bad, just very prone to tramping and spinning up on damp roads, but the difference feels even greater than when I went from S001's to MP4's on the previous GTI.

Something I mean to do too but my man maths isn't quite good enough to overcome my usual reluctance to open my wallet! I think these P-zeros are better than those that were on my MK7PP but like you, I find they spin far too easily with even the lightest of wet weather. And the ride is a little hard. I have almost 16k miles on them but they do seem more hard wearing than the last set that was worn out at 20k.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.