Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2113688 times)

Offline joe6

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11770 on: 10 October 2021, 20:27 »
Took advantage of the weather and fitted underbody panels - larger engine skidtray, short exhaust panel, larger exhaust panel on the nearside, rear axle cover, rear suspension stone guard/aerofoil cover. Supposed to improve mpg so will see over the next couple of months and not much more than a couple of tanks of fuel. Certainly provides lots of underbody protection from muck etc even if it does not improve economy.

I’ve got all those on my GTI (installed them all last year). Don’t know weather those have made a difference or it’s coincidence, but on my way home from work on Friday evening (approx 15 miles motorway and a roads), the motorway was pretty congested to I was only travelling at around 60-65mph, and when I arrived home on the drive way, was amazed to see the mpg return of 53.6 mpg - the best I’ve ever had (no doubt aided by the slower traffic and the unusually mild weather), but for a 230ps GTI that’s incredible (and I know that my fuel computer is approx 0.7-1 mpg optimistic - that’s all).
Wow, never got better than low 40s so far. Got a long run to Cornwall soon so see how that goes. Managed 38mpg in my mk6 on that trip in the past.
Carbon Grey, 2010 a few VCDS mods comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline madstaff

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11771 on: 10 October 2021, 20:41 »
Any mpg figure that started in the mid 30s would be a bonus in my Clubsport.  :smiley:

Currently averaging about 30.  :sad:
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline willni

• Here all the time
« Reply #11772 on: 10 October 2021, 21:00 »
Any mpg figure that started in the mid 30s would be a bonus in my Clubsport.  :smiley:

Currently averaging about 30.  :sad:

You know you don't have to change at 5k rpm all the time  :wink:

How's the coking on the exhaust tips lately? Does it go from clean to black near instantly after a wash? Can help let you know of a faulty o2 sensor, resulting in a higher fuel consumption.
WillNI the GTI Guy

Mk5 Edition 30 OEM+ & Mk7.5 GTI PP

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline madstaff

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11773 on: 10 October 2021, 21:07 »
Bit of black on the exhaust tips, but to be fair my morning commute to work is 50% standstill/slow moving traffic.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Adam T7

• Here all the time
« Reply #11774 on: 11 October 2021, 15:54 »

Do the panels cause any MOT hassle? - my mate got an advisory on his TT due to a panel obstructing inspection access - he never fitted it and has never removed it so probably just the inspector being jobsworth - I ask because thinking of something similar myself

Not really being a jobsworth,  just covering his arse as he can't test what he can't see (due to all the underbody covers).

Could be hiding allsorts of things, unlikely on a 3 year old Golf but not impossible.

That was 3 MOT’s ago, never mentioned since, panel still there and the same MOT testing station - so who knows?
MY2019 GTI 5 Door, PP, DSG, Indium Grey.

Offline madstaff

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11775 on: 11 October 2021, 16:08 »
Thing is, one MOT tester might advise on underbody panels, another may not.

Ultimately, the tester who advises "Under-trays fitted preventing thorough inspection of some underside components" is covering his back incase something becomes evident in the future (formerly hidden beneath the panels).

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #11776 on: 11 October 2021, 17:03 »
Do the panels cause any MOT hassle? - my mate got an advisory on his TT due to a panel obstructing inspection access - he never fitted it and has never removed it so probably just the inspector being jobsworth - I ask because thinking of something similar myself

Ony had one MOT since fitting them, but it passed with flying colours and the tester never even mentioned them.

Also, got this yesterday (yes, I know a GTI and Eco Mode, but there was no point in ragging it as the roads were once again really busy):

« Last Edit: 11 October 2021, 17:07 by Sootchucker »
2018 GTI DSG 230ps 5 door, Indium Grey - 19" Brescia alloys, Art velour interior, Dynaudio, DCC, keyless, wireless charging, adaptive headlights, Lane assist, side assist, rear assist, dynamic traffic sign display, heated Windscreen, rear view camera, Winter Pack

Offline joe6

• Here all the time
« Reply #11777 on: 11 October 2021, 17:46 »

Ony had one MOT since fitting them, but it passed with flying colours and the tester never even mentioned them.

Also, got this yesterday (yes, I know a GTI and Eco Mode, but there was no point in ragging it as the roads were once again really busy):

Any comments about the long engine undertray when getting the car serviced?
Carbon Grey, 2010 a few VCDS mods comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #11778 on: 17 October 2021, 22:17 »
None whatsoever.
2018 GTI DSG 230ps 5 door, Indium Grey - 19" Brescia alloys, Art velour interior, Dynaudio, DCC, keyless, wireless charging, adaptive headlights, Lane assist, side assist, rear assist, dynamic traffic sign display, heated Windscreen, rear view camera, Winter Pack

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #11779 on: 17 October 2021, 22:23 »
Still can’t get over how economical a GTI can be when driven sensibly. This weekend we went to London for family reasons and came back today. As a lot of you will know there are currently long sections of the M6 and M1 under average speed camera control due to roadworks etc. so a lot of the time the car was sitting on adaptive cruise at either 50 or 60mph, (which obviously helped the economy a lot) but for the rest of the time was set to a speed limited 73 mph max, and got this for the journey today, and below that since refilling the tank. I don’t recall my GTD’s being massively more economical ?

Over 560 miles to a tank in a GTI ?