Author Topic: Drive the Deal delivery  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: Drive the Deal delivery
« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2013, 20:56 »
Absolutely no way I want some random driver delivering my car.  You know they'll pay some minimum wage bloke to do it who will have a right party ragging the nuts off your engine.  You'll forever be worried damage has been caused.

Either pay for a trailer delivery, probably couple hundred pounds, or go get it yourself.

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2013, 13:05 »
If it is coming from the same London dealer as my DTD order in North London, then you will be outside the charging zone. The dealer is easy walking distance from the tube too, and easy to get north again to Glasgow.
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2013, 13:13 »
Do you have to pay congestion charge to drive out of London?

You pay it if you move a vehicle any distance on a public road at all while inside the zone.  That would include moving your parked car 1m along in order to fit another vehicle in behind it.

So be careful, as the government seems to consider this kind of think a AAA priority, far higher than reducing deaths in the NHS, ensuring the forces have adequate equipment or making multinationals pay their tax.

Just saying.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2013, 13:31 »

You pay it if you move a vehicle any distance on a public road at all while inside the zone.  That would include moving your parked car 1m along in order to fit another vehicle in behind it.

So be careful, as the government seems to consider this kind of think a AAA priority, far higher than reducing deaths in the NHS, ensuring the forces have adequate equipment or making multinationals pay their tax.

Just saying.

Would it be cheaper to get it transported just outside the congestion zone on the back of a flatbed?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2013, 13:32 »

Just saying.

Would it be cheaper to get it transported just outside the congestion zone on the back of a flatbed?

Just go at the weekend when its free!
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/congestioncharge/whereandwhen/#page-link-hours-of-operation

Also you can see from the map its pretty central.

EDIT:
To be honest I'd be more worried about being stuck in serious traffic.  In London you have to know the best routes, which basically means back roads.  The north and south circular can get badly congested.  As can the A5 and A41... or basically any road for that matter (A5 and A41 are ones I've used a lot and you can sit on them for literally hours until your engine overheads!).  Parallel roads can be completely clear because everyone sticks to the main arteries.

If you can go early in the morning or late at night you can have a lot of fun though as you can speed across the capital on largely empty roads no problem.  Find out where the dealer is and see if any locals on here can give some tips on the best road and times, that would be my advice.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2013, 13:36 by Bill_the_Bear »

Offline Lagerlout

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 27 August 2013, 19:17 »
I would get it delivered on a flat bed. Why? Its not great to run a car in by driving it for hundreds of miles on the motorway at relatively constant speeds. You need to give a new engine varying revs and loads. You could take A roads but I'd imagine that's quite a long jaunt!
« Last Edit: 27 August 2013, 19:19 by Lagerlout »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 27 August 2013, 21:01 »
Weighing up the pros and cons of arranging for a flatbed delivery or picking up from the dealer, I think I'd collect from the dealer. This gives you a better opportunity to thoroughly inspect the car before taking delivery and if there are any issues, point them out at the dealers premises and getting them to agree to rectify before signing the paperwork.

If you go for the option of arranging a flatbed delivery and you find any damage when the car's dropped off at your home, it could be more a case of your word against the dealers. As Hawaii-Five-O has said, the car is likely to have become very dirty during transit, making it difficult to do a thorough inspection, and if you subsequently find any damage, the dealer will almost certainly maintain the car was in perfect condition when it left them, so potential added hassle to get any problems sorted. I'd also be a bit nervous of possible damage being inflicted on those diamond cut alloys from the straps used to secure the car to the flatbed (seem to remember reading a post on the mk6 forum where someone's new GTI suffered wheel damage from securing straps on the transporter while in transit from the port to the dealership).

One thing's for certain; there's no way I'd let some delivery driver thrash the living daylights out of my new pride and joy, so the delivery driver option just wouldn't be an option for me!

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 28 August 2013, 14:41 »
I got my GTI via DTD from a dealer in Kent. I went to collect it from Bucks as I didn't want some yobbo thrashing it on the way to deliver it to me.

When I mentioned this to the dealer he told me that they only employ retired guys who have worked in the trade and now need a bit of spare cash, and according to him they treat the cars as if they were their own.

I know you can't trust everthing they say, but I believed him. He threw in a full tank instead of the free delivery

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 28 August 2013, 15:07 »
When I mentioned this to the dealer he told me that they only employ retired guys who have worked in the trade and now need a bit of spare cash, and according to him they treat the cars as if they were their own.

So you're saying retired guys don't drive fast, don't thrash cars and know how to drive?

Please.  :rolleyes:  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 28 August 2013, 15:24 »
No, that's not what I'm saying. If you read my post it says that 'they treat the cars as if they were their own'. Which means not thrashing them and not driving like looneys. Even though I'm sure they are very capable of it.