Author Topic: Car tracker-Advice please  (Read 2874 times)

Offline jrc193

• Not said much yet
Re: Car tracker-Advice please
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2013, 21:32 »
Actually I've found what appears to be an identical unit on Amazon with 5 star reviews ForĀ£35 so I shall probably go for that

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2013, 21:46 »
Actually I've found what appears to be an identical unit on Amazon with 5 star reviews ForĀ£35 so I shall probably go for that

Got a link mate? Might have a look myself. ;)
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 21 August 2013, 22:07 »
No tracker for me please. If some scumbag burgles my house to steal my car I don't want it back. Burn it out and get me a fresh one with the courtesy of the GAP insurance.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline jrc193

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2013, 09:21 »

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #14 on: 22 August 2013, 09:58 »
No tracker for me please. If some scumbag burgles my house to steal my car I don't want it back. Burn it out and get me a fresh one with the courtesy of the GAP insurance.

Yeah I'm not sure I'd want to know the exact location of my stolen car and want it back either.  Having said that, for those who do, that tracker from Amazon looks like a cracking deal.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline allycat45

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 22 August 2013, 11:15 »
The potential problems with the DIY / non-monitored / non-contract trackers to my mind are:

• Insurance companies may not recognise it as a "proper" product as much as a Thatcham approved or validated one and therefore not give a discount (or may not give cover at all if a tracker is a requirement)
  • The PAYG SIM cards tend to have an automatic expiry if they are not used for a number of months i.e. if you don't actually call it or it does not call you then the SIM card can get cancelled. Simple enough to do a reminder on a calendar to make one call to it a month to get it to respond and therefore keep it "active" I guess

As with others, though, if the GTI gets nicked, I don't really want it back, I want GAP insurance plus normal insurance to buy me a new one (let's not go into lead time discussions on this thread though ...)

Can always use it to track the wife and monitor her driving habits though  :evil:
Arrived: GTI, DSG, 5 Door, Carbon Steel Grey, Service Plan, Winter Pack, Side Airbag, DCC (or ACC - the Adaptive Chassis thing, ok?), Park Assist, Rear View Camera