Author Topic: New Order Tracker Live  (Read 25182 times)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Re: New Order Tracker Live
« Reply #100 on: 23 August 2013, 12:01 »
Only downside if you’re looking for practicality is that the 3 door version looks massively better than the 5 door version.

Does it?  I dunno, personally I can't stand the 3 door version.  Kinda looks to me like the back has its arse in the air.  There are 3 door cars that look proper good, the A3 I think looks mediocre.  I'll take the 5 door everytime.  People often say it looks like an estate, but I like this version.  I suspect there will be opinions on both sides here.

I like the 3 door but I also like the 5 door Sportback.  Dull as fook to drive though, better off getting a beemer IMO.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #101 on: 23 August 2013, 12:13 »
I like the 3 door but I also like the 5 door Sportback.  Dull as fook to drive though, better off getting a beemer IMO.

You know you've just reminded me of something I said maybe 10 years ago (can't remember when to be honest) when I had a summer job driving cars around an auction lot.  I left that job proclaiming that having driven so many different brands I knew which ones I liked.

Top of the list: Jaguar.  But I can't afford one of them so...
Second place: The beemers.  Especially the 3 series of which there were a fair few.  I don't think the 1 was out then and not sure if they had any 7s.
Third place: The Golf GTI.

All the rest were one and the same basically.  And actually I'd probably rate the GTI and the beemers about the same.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #102 on: 23 August 2013, 12:16 »
Only downside if you’re looking for practicality is that the 3 door version looks massively better than the 5 door version.

Does it?  I dunno, personally I can't stand the 3 door version.  Kinda looks to me like the back has its arse in the air.  There are 3 door cars that look proper good, the A3 I think looks mediocre.  I'll take the 5 door everytime.  People often say it looks like an estate, but I like this version.  I suspect there will be opinions on both sides here.

On BMW equipment levels:

Con - You got to add a lot of stuff to get it to the Golf level
Pro - Virtually everything you do add is better than the equivalent Golf
Con - Drives cost up fast!
Pro - BMW will likely discount it all anyway putting the costs back in line

Its tricky and almost apples and oranges.  Because of BMW's kind of unique view of how cars should work the VW and Audi brands lack obvious competitors (Ford is lower price and quality).  I think you might have to go to Merc.  Or... if we discard the (German) view that German cars are better qulaity and more desirable there are a whole load of other brands that are frankly just as good.  May not have the same image but does it matter?  Its VW et al themselves who are largely responsible for the propoganda that you should be buying German.  A totally biased view.  If you want proof then look at what the Yanks think of German brands.  A German car is often synonymous with unreliability in the US, because the US has different biases!

Ok I got a bit off topic there.  My bad.

I buy German because not only do I like their products, they are relatively good value for money to run due to their high residuals (assuming you always chop in every 2-4 years). I like the Alfa Giulietta, and if it held its value like a Golf/120D/A3 I’d consider it – especially as it now comes with a 5 year warranty. Don’t agree with Mercs being good cars, in the main (at the low to mid end of the scale) they are flimsy, unrefined pieces of sh!te. Mercs resemble Chryslers in build now, rather than Chrysler resembling Merc.

Residuals are a big part of my considerations which will always put some potential cars out of consideration unless I’m not buying new.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #103 on: 23 August 2013, 12:17 »
That Alfa does look good.  Never sat in one though.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #104 on: 23 August 2013, 12:20 »
That Alfa does look good.  Never sat in one though.

My missus has one.  They're not too bad, just not a patch on the German counterparts either inside the cabin nor to drive - and put it this way I wouldn't buy one with my own money (hers is a company car) - nice looking motors though!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....