Author Topic: Mark 7 GTI, GTD or A3 s-line?? Help please  (Read 18048 times)

Offline RikWebb

• Here all the time
  • Like tears in rain....
Re: Mark 7 GTI, GTD or A3 s-line?? Help please
« Reply #30 on: 27 August 2013, 00:16 »
And another one bites the dust - VW....... WTF are you doing?

Right - off to check out the A3 Quattro :)
MK7.5 GTD DSG Isaac Blue 5Dr - 19" Santiago's / Nav Pro / Pano Roof / Keyless / Rear Camera / Mobile Wireless charger
Ordered 22/09/2017 - BW confirmed as 23/10/2017

Previous
MK7 GTD Ordered - May 16th 2013 - Tornado Red, Discover Pro Nav - Promised 16 week delivery - HA!
191 Days = 27 Weeks from order to delivery

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 27 August 2013, 08:07 »
Hi guys,

well i've made the decision not to wait for build on a GTD, but have gone for a new A3 Sportback TDI 184 Quattro S-line S-tronic.

This will happen on the 1st September for a 63 plate, the car is already built, so just had to ring around a few dealers and check colour spec and haggle for discount (thanks to Carwow). So only a 1 week wait. ;)

She will be in Glacier white, with sat nav and heated seats.

Got to say the drive was excellent, and maybe worth considering for potential GTD or even GTI drivers, with the extra grip from the 4 wheel drive, and 0-60 in 6.9 seconds, so not too shabby from the 184.

I'll still be nipping in, love the banter and the BMW threads, nice choice Bill.

Laters,

Dan.

I always thought that the high output 2.0TDI's main trouble with 0-62 times was putting the power down. 0.6s less for the inclusion of Quattro and a tiny saving in weight. It was the same story with the Audi TT 170TDI Quattro (7.5s) vs MK6 GTD/170TDI Scirocco (8.1s). Not much fuel penalty for the quattro, but the S-tronic will affect the mpg by about 10%. Were you after an auto or was it the choice of what was already built and in the dealership network? Buying A3 doiesn't really hurt VAG as a whole, but maybe if enough people do it then VW will get to hear about how sh!te they've been.

I still think that the dealerships need to moan more on our behalf, they are hurting in depreciating p/x's. My dealer will be lucky to make a grandf off my p/x now I reckon. I took a WBAC.com quotation again the other day, about 6 weeks after the last one and my car's worth to them has dipped £1300 in that time.

I gave the A3 some serious thought lately but my GTD finally went into transit overnight.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline theflash

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 27 August 2013, 08:44 »

I gave the A3 some serious thought lately but my GTD finally went into transit overnight.

If the 184PS A3 had been on my company car list at my time of ordering (and I knew about the ridiculous wait) I'd have gone for it completely. I love my A4, it looks great, has plenty of ooomph and really I don't have a bad word against it. Bit of a no brainer really - wonder if my lease company have added the the A3 yet and I can change???  :whistle:
On order - MK7 GTD, 5dr, DBP, Manual.
Est. Delivery was end Nov, now 3rd Jan ffs

Offline me109

• Just got here
« Reply #33 on: 27 August 2013, 15:34 »
Hello, Im currently waiting for my GTD to arrive due end of September...  I have previously had 5 x A3's in the past in various flavours all from new favourite been a diesel sline quattro. Also had a black edition but that was stolen and broken down for parts  :huh:
I personally think the latest A3 looks boring which is why I went for the golf this time.
But if you like the looks etc I can't fault the A3 if not more expensive with extras.
Audi veteran, on order 1st VW..  GTD, Black, Dynaudio

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 27 August 2013, 17:27 »
Currently have an A3 s line and was seriously considering the new A3...but its to, well, samey for me! The new S3 looks tremendous though, quad tail pipes though...looks awesome! However, from speaking with a lad at Stirling Audi, there are no deals to be had on any A3 at the moment, just what ive heard
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline TDI-line

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 27 August 2013, 21:57 »
Hi Monkeyhanger, i was after the S-tronic (DSG), really enjoy punching the accelerator and keeping 2 hands on the steering wheel.  :wink:
The A3 184 is front wheel drive + manual, or quattro + s-tronic only, so only 2 choices there.

VirginVWman, of course Audi will tell you there are no deals, mine told me twice there was NO dealer discount but eventually they did. Use carwow, find the dealers who will discount, VW or Audi, and if your local dealer wants an easy deal, they will discount to price match with these. :whistle:
The S3 looks amazing, and my TDIQ isn't far off the price, but i know i'll get fed up filling up an S3 every week.

Me109, yes, i agree the looks are very conservative on the A3, but with the LED's and the S-line kit, gives it a nice stance, the GTD i think will always look more aggressive, even more than the new Golf R.

Theflash, lol.
2019: MK7.5 GTI TCR: DEEP GREY / BLACK ROOF: REIFNITZ PERFORMANCE PACK: DYNAUDIO: AKRAPOVIC: UTR DASHCAMS

Offline Simon C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 29 August 2013, 19:42 »
Just to draw a line under this thread, I did make a decision and the test-drives etc and decision making factors are fully detailed here...http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=258368.0

Just need to wait now  :cry:
Letting my heart rule and not my head - GTI Mark 7 arrived: 3dr, 19" Santiago, sat nav, pure white.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 29 August 2013, 19:49 »
Just to draw a line under this thread, I did make a decision and the test-drives etc and decision making factors are fully detailed here...http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=258368.0

Just need to wait now  :cry:

Stick it in the spec thread above

mjh_056

« Reply #38 on: 30 August 2013, 11:34 »
Hi guys,

well i've made the decision not to wait for build on a GTD, but have gone for a new A3 Sportback TDI 184 Quattro S-line S-tronic.

This will happen on the 1st September for a 63 plate, the car is already built, so just had to ring around a few dealers and check colour spec and haggle for discount (thanks to Carwow). So only a 1 week wait. ;)

She will be in Glacier white, with sat nav and heated seats.

Got to say the drive was excellent, and maybe worth considering for potential GTD or even GTI drivers, with the extra grip from the 4 wheel drive, and 0-60 in 6.9 seconds, so not too shabby from the 184.

I'll still be nipping in, love the banter and the BMW threads, nice choice Bill.

Laters,

Dan.

I always thought that the high output 2.0TDI's main trouble with 0-62 times was putting the power down. 0.6s less for the inclusion of Quattro and a tiny saving in weight. It was the same story with the Audi TT 170TDI Quattro (7.5s) vs MK6 GTD/170TDI Scirocco (8.1s). Not much fuel penalty for the quattro, but the S-tronic will affect the mpg by about 10%. Were you after an auto or was it the choice of what was already built and in the dealership network? Buying A3 doiesn't really hurt VAG as a whole, but maybe if enough people do it then VW will get to hear about how sh!te they've been.

I still think that the dealerships need to moan more on our behalf, they are hurting in depreciating p/x's. My dealer will be lucky to make a grandf off my p/x now I reckon. I took a WBAC.com quotation again the other day, about 6 weeks after the last one and my car's worth to them has dipped £1300 in that time.

The 184/Quattro combination has only just come on as a lease option and with my allowance I only would have squeezed to, and with a significant personal uplift to a 3 door Manual A3 S Line with one option.

5 doors was #1 requirement this time around and STronic/DSG was desired also so my original Sportback 150BHP Stronic would have still been my only real choice. So it is quite comforting that did not wait around for the 184BHP/Quattro.

Given my company car park is full of lease cars from all makes I am in a decent position to judge against others by seeing them up close, being out in them and listening to colleagues daily feedback. (BMW for example is a swear word in winter in office when it snows.)

So with regards the 0-60 sec speed of 170BHP engine with and without Quattro? well I can vouch that there is no tramping at all and the Quattro is pretty quick, but having been out in a colleague Scirocco with same engine it did seem just as quick to me off the line and out driving - Have to look up the weights but without doing so I will just say my Quattro is a weighty beast that gives a planted on rails experience but not light and nimble by any means and maybe that weight plays a part?

I have seen some MK7 GTD times on you tube ranging from 6.7sec to 7.1sec 0-60 and even at the maximum figure there, that is more than enough for me.

So the 184BHP/Quattro will no doubt be a great car (if avoid the S Line suspension) but the MK7 GTD will be a lot closer in performance than MK6 GTD and to point it will be in reality be negligible.

The waiting time could have had me doubting my choice but havng seen Sportbacks on road now and being pretty underwhelmed by looks and the cost of an 184BHP Audi then the 5 Door GTD DSG with all standard and selectable options is more so a standout winner than before.