Author Topic: Mark 7 GTI, GTD or A3 s-line?? Help please  (Read 18051 times)

Offline Simon C

• Not said much yet
Mark 7 GTI, GTD or A3 s-line?? Help please
« on: 29 July 2013, 00:34 »
Dear All

It is great to become a member of this forum and I have spent the last few hours (and weeks for that matter) researching what will soon be an important purchase for me. I am hoping some of you can help me with it....

I am currently driving a lease car. BMW 123d - 200 bhp, 2 litre. I have almost had it 4 years and its now time for it to go back. Currently do about 17,000 miles per year - about 7,000 of those are work related. I therefore pay my own fuel for the 10,000 or so private miles. I have been happy with it, but great opportunity for a change.

4 years ago at time of signing for the BMW I was really close to going for the Golf GTI mark 6 - but I was not happy with the changes made to the front / face of the car. I also let my head rule as I knew it would be cheaper to run than the golf gti. But I must be honest I had spent month researching the GTI....sporty looks, head-turner, it had made a mark on me.

Anyway, decision time has come again. I think the new GTI looks immense and sharper and more muscly than the mark 6 so much so that I am in process of arranging a test-drive. I have done the numbers and on the whole I think it would cost me about £100 per month more to fund and run than the GTD or A3 I mention below.

Then on other side the new GTD mark 7 looks ace, benefit being I would probably get more like 45 MPG compared to the 35 MPG of the GTI. That would end up saving me a few quid. But I don't think it has the prestige of the GTI.

Then to complicate matters, I have looked outside VW and noticed the new A3 s-line. This has 150 bhp and looks sharp. I test drove it and on the whole it was good, nice cabin, but it did feel a bit flat compared to my current bmw. I have priced it up and it would essentially cost me the same as a new GTD. It looks great from the front, but not from all angles (though that may be my eyes).

So, I suspect the majority of you are GTI addicts...and perhaps biased :-). But given most of you do drive Golfs I am hoping you can share some honest thoughts on what you know and have experienced with the GTI and GTD.

My heart tells me GTI....the brand and prestige of that car I think blows the GTD and A3 into another planet. I have priced it up and could absorb the extra costs. But I still feel like I need to be convinced...perhaps the test drive will remove any doubts? Can any of you guys add anything that I have yet to consider?

Thanks all. Hopefully your advice can help me make the right decision.

Best wishes

Si

p.s., I was thinking of the 19" alloys and sunset red as optional extras. Also 3-door version - no kids / dogs etc so no real need for the extra space.
Letting my heart rule and not my head - GTI Mark 7 arrived: 3dr, 19" Santiago, sat nav, pure white.

Offline RikWebb

• Here all the time
  • Like tears in rain....
Re: Mark 7 GTI, GTD or A3 s-line?? Help please
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2013, 00:57 »
Well I came from a BMW 3 Coupe to a MK6 GT Diesel. I have now ordered the GTD.
Company car driver myself.
Although I love the GTI - and the cost is only a small amount as far as lease rental - its the BIK that makes the bigger difference.
The extra least cost and BIK combined make the difference in cost between a GTI and a GTD too great.

If your lease company are like mine - they can arrange a test drive weekend for each car - see what you think.
I think you will be surprised with both the GTI and GTD, although there is nothing wrong with the Audi.
Just don't forget the BIK in your costing's.

Hope that helps
Rik
MK7.5 GTD DSG Isaac Blue 5Dr - 19" Santiago's / Nav Pro / Pano Roof / Keyless / Rear Camera / Mobile Wireless charger
Ordered 22/09/2017 - BW confirmed as 23/10/2017

Previous
MK7 GTD Ordered - May 16th 2013 - Tornado Red, Discover Pro Nav - Promised 16 week delivery - HA!
191 Days = 27 Weeks from order to delivery

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2013, 08:14 »
You really need to drive both to make your mind up as you're not Diesel averse. Is the GTI worth paying £100 a month more for? Only you can decide that.

The GTD has the best single turbo 2.0-2.2 diesel engine out there. Quiet, smooth, more economical than most, lots of torque and lots of power (for a single turbo). Apart from the engine differences, wheel differences (some GTI people have professed their preference for the Nogaros) and a few red bits here and there it is the same as a GTI. The standard equipment levels are excellent, the residuals are excellent so it really just comes down to a GTI or GTD unless you covet the Audi badge which will give you less equipment and a lower output engine for the same-ish price. If you are used to 200PS in the BMW then the 50PS drop to the A3 might be too much to bear.

Like you I disliked the MK6 - I was pushed towards Scirocco but am coming back to a MK7.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2013, 08:30 »
Si,

As Monkeyhanger says you must test drive both (plenty of demo's around now) to help make up your mind.

After I test drove the GTI I was smitten (plus I've always wanted one since I was I kid and now I'm lucky enough to afford one).

I very nearly bought a BMW 123d coupe last year but when I saw the very first pics of the mk7 GTI/GTD I made the decision to wait. Getting a bit old now the 1 series coupe but I still love it's idiosyncratic looks.

Get test driving!
« Last Edit: 29 July 2013, 08:33 by Hawaii-Five-O »
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2013, 09:06 »
If you're coming from a 123d then the diesal A3 will feel like a tank - it'll be so slow in comparison. I drove an A3 S-line 1.8 petrol Quattro on Saturday and even that felt slow compared to the GTI (noticeably so as well).  The amount of miles you're doing the GTD is the sensible choice, pretty quick and economical. If you can afford it the GTI is in a different league.  I'm not just saying that as I've ordered one, this is based on my own driving experience.

Why not another Beemer ie. 125d or do you fancy a change?  IMO life's too short to worry about £100 a month if that's what your figures say, so there's only one choice really!!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Thornster

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2013, 09:59 »
I was in a similar position weighing up between the GTI / GTD / A3 / 1 Series (amongst others!).

For me it eventually came down to the cheaper GTD...or go with my heart and get the GTI.

My mileage varies but I’m currently doing around 15,000 miles a year, of which a good percentage are personal so I can understand the GTD being a persuasive proposition. For me it was game over after the test drive – it had to be the GTI, despite the additional monthly cost!
Oct 2013: GTI, DSG, 3 Door, Carbon Grey, DynAudio, Winter Pack, Discovery Navigation and Keyless Start
Jan 2018: Arteon R-Line, Atlantic Blue
Jan 2021: tbc!

Offline Berelli

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2013, 10:02 »
I too looked at all the above. I really liked the A3 the cabin was nicer. But, I felt the Golf was a better all round package. I then arranged a test drive for myself and the wife and the GTI won. I only cover about 8000 miles a year and the GTI was the car for me.
Mk7 GTI, Pure White, 5 Door, Manual, ACC - Collected and enjoying it.

Running Man

« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2013, 18:54 »
GOLF GTI

WE LOVE YOU TILL WE DIE

PERFECT IN OUR EYE

NO NEED TO BE SHY

ANY OTHER CHOICE IS A LIE

THE PRETENDERS TRY TRY TRY

BMW, AUDI, BYE BYE BYE

ONLY ONE GTI

THE GOLF GTI

« Last Edit: 30 July 2013, 14:56 by Running Man »

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2013, 19:23 »
GOLF GTI

WE LOVE YOU TILL WE DIE

PERFECT IN OUR EYE

NO NEED TO BE SHY

BMW, AUDI, BYE BYE BYE

ONLY ONE GTI

THE GOLF GTI

I'm sure this is the excellent advice you were looking for, it is my pleasure to help you Happy GTI Buying!

RunningMan have you been down in your special place in the garden with your "cigarettes"  :grin:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Running Man

« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2013, 20:12 »
GOLF GTI

WE LOVE YOU TILL WE DIE

PERFECT IN OUR EYE

NO NEED TO BE SHY

BMW, AUDI, BYE BYE BYE

ONLY ONE GTI

THE GOLF GTI

I'm sure this is the excellent advice you were looking for, it is my pleasure to help you Happy GTI Buying!

RunningMan have you been down in your special place in the garden with your "cigarettes"  :grin:

no matchboy, I have taken to poetry, the forum and posters are inspiring me to new works of ART  :wink: