Author Topic: New Arrivals!!  (Read 1158926 times)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: New Arrivals!!
« Reply #900 on: 12 September 2013, 12:22 »
It does take a bit of time getting used to all the buttons on the steering wheel and trying to remember where they all are without taking your eyes of the road. I still need to read some more on the ACC and how you set it, not used it up to now.
Are you talking about ADC or ACC,
It seems odd that you would spend £900 on ACC and not use it.

I'm talking about the adaptive cruise control rather than what i would call the Dynamic chassis control (DCC - the £900 option). To be fair though, as i mentioned on a previous post, the one option i would possibly have dropped would have been the DCC. My error, but i didnt realise that all standard cars already came with different suspension settings so even in my own mind i'm not sure what advantages the DCC offers

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #901 on: 12 September 2013, 12:32 »
It does take a bit of time getting used to all the buttons on the steering wheel and trying to remember where they all are without taking your eyes of the road. I still need to read some more on the ACC and how you set it, not used it up to now.

VW really do need to be careful with the abbreviations. ACC = adaptive cruise control in the menu system, but it also means adaptive chassis control in the UK (called DCC/Dynamic chassis control elsewhere).

Within the car’s system menus, which seem to be universal for all markets (except for language), ACC means cruise and DCC means active damping/suspension.

I couldn’t use my cruise the other day (the car wouldn’t let me), but I think that’s because my ADC system was not active (switched off in the menus). It is on now for “very close” set up, so I’ll have to try out my cruise again. With ADC off, it seemed that cruise didn’t even want to act as like a traditional cruise system, paying no heed to the car in front, only to the speed you set.

Now im really getting confused? What do you mean that the cruise control wouldnt work without the ADC being on? If we are agreed that ADC is the adaptive chassis control/active damping control, i.e. the modes that change your suspension settings from comfort to normal to sport etc, then surely this is always active, and is the ADC not a completely independent system from the cruise control, i.e. one has no influence on the other   :huh: :huh:
« Last Edit: 12 September 2013, 12:50 by CraigW »

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #902 on: 12 September 2013, 13:02 »
Craig mate! I think you're getting yourself into a pickle...  :grin: ADC is the Automatic Distance Control... You know that camera thingy at the front.. :grin:

You need it switched on or active for the ACC to function.
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline Dully

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #903 on: 12 September 2013, 13:04 »

I'm talking about the adaptive cruise control rather than what i would call the Dynamic chassis control (DCC - the £900 option). To be fair though, as i mentioned on a previous post, the one option i would possibly have dropped would have been the DCC. My error, but i didnt realise that all standard cars already came with different suspension settings so even in my own mind i'm not sure what advantages the DCC offers

Just as I was starting to forget about possibly wasting £900 somebody has to go and mention it again  :sad:
Driving - MK7 GTD, 5 Door, CSG, DSG, Santiago's

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #904 on: 12 September 2013, 13:26 »

VW really do need to be careful with the abbreviations. ACC = adaptive cruise control in the menu system, but it also means adaptive chassis control in the UK (called DCC/Dynamic chassis control elsewhere).

Within the car’s system menus, which seem to be universal for all markets (except for language), ACC means cruise and DCC means active damping/suspension.

I couldn’t use my cruise the other day (the car wouldn’t let me), but I think that’s because my ADC system was not active (switched off in the menus). It is on now for “very close” set up, so I’ll have to try out my cruise again. With ADC off, it seemed that cruise didn’t even want to act as like a traditional cruise system, paying no heed to the car in front, only to the speed you set.

Now im really getting confused? What do you mean that the cruise control wouldnt work without the ADC being on? If we are agreed that ADC is the adaptive chassis control, i.e. the modes that change your suspension settings from comfort to normal to sport etc, then surely this is always active, and is the ADC not a completely independent system from the cruise control, i.e. one has no influence on the other   :huh: :huh:

Nope, got your abbreviations muddled there ADC is and has only ever been automatic distance control (the radar thingy), in conjunction with adaptive cruise control (one of 2 ACCs, confusingly!).

From my experience it would see as if the adaptive cruise control won’t act as a traditional cruise control if the ADC is off. I am still learning my way through the settings, so stand to be corrected.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #905 on: 12 September 2013, 13:32 »
I think it is VWUK who have screwed up by calling the "Dynamic Chassis Control" "Adaptive Chassis Control".  If they had left it as DCC then the cruise control is ADC and we can avoid confusion.  As far as I am aware that is what is done in Europe and the car menus and everything.

Ricepop

« Reply #906 on: 12 September 2013, 13:38 »

Now im really getting confused? What do you mean that the cruise control wouldnt work without the ADC being on? If we are agreed that ADC is the adaptive chassis control, i.e. the modes that change your suspension settings from comfort to normal to sport etc, then surely this is always active, and is the ADC not a completely independent system from the cruise control, i.e. one has no influence on the other   :huh: :huh:

Nope, got your abbreviations muddled there ADC is and has only ever been automatic distance control (the radar thingy), in conjunction with adaptive cruise control (one of 2 ACCs, confusingly!).

From my experience it would see as if the adaptive cruise control won’t act as a traditional cruise control if the ADC is off. I am still learning my way through the settings, so stand to be corrected.

For the record:
ADC Automatic Distance Control (cruise control)
ACC Active Chassis Control (suspension settings, its nothing to do with the cruise control and there is no such thing as Active Cruise Control)
DCC Doesn't exist (maybe it did on the mk 6 but it isn't on the Mk 7)

Research people :rolleyes: oh I forgot you are busy driving your cars :cry:

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #907 on: 12 September 2013, 13:38 »
Craig mate! I think you're getting yourself into a pickle...  :grin: ADC is the Automatic Distance Control... You know that camera thingy at the front.. :grin:

You need it switched on or active for the ACC to function.

:grin: :grin:  :grin: Feck sake, there are far to many acronyms. Where in the menu do you switch it on?

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #908 on: 12 September 2013, 13:43 »
It's quite simple - don't bother with cruise control (you're not driving a taxi) and stick everything else in 'Sport'

Job done  :wink:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #909 on: 12 September 2013, 13:45 »
For the record:
ADC Automatic Distance Control (cruise control)
ACC Active Chassis Control (suspension settings, its nothing to do with the cruise control and there is no such thing as Active Cruise Control)
DCC Doesn't exist (maybe it did on the mk 6 but it isn't on the Mk 7)

Research people :rolleyes: oh I forgot you are busy driving your cars :cry:

I'm pretty sure you've got that backwards mate.  Its ACC that doesn't exist and DCC that does.  ACC is stupid anyway as it could mean adaptive chassis control or active cruise control or automatic climate control... etc etc etc