Author Topic: New Arrivals!!  (Read 1162871 times)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: New Arrivals!!
« Reply #700 on: 06 September 2013, 07:31 »
Today is the day guys! 3:30PM!!!

J

Exciting!! Expect to see a few pics tonight after you've been out for a blast. Enjoy  :smiley: :smiley:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #701 on: 06 September 2013, 12:32 »
My anodised red Richbrook twist-open tax disc holder turned up in the post today. It looks a little pinkish (and the sticky pads are bright red – the colour I expected the holder to be TBH) – might have to send it back and get a silver or black one. Also, for what it is (“lightweight aluminium”), it weighs a lot – quite a weight to be hanging off your windscreen, those sticky pads have their work cut out.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Ricepop

« Reply #702 on: 06 September 2013, 13:41 »
My anodised red Richbrook twist-open tax disc holder turned up in the post today. It looks a little pinkish (and the sticky pads are bright red – the colour I expected the holder to be TBH) – might have to send it back and get a silver or black one. Also, for what it is (“lightweight aluminium”), it weighs a lot – quite a weight to be hanging off your windscreen, those sticky pads have their work cut out.

I'm not a fan of those holders, they look a bit like they belong in a Corsa with a home made body kit.

I prefer something a bit simpler like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-BLUE-TAX-DISC-HOLDER-SCIROCCO-JETTA-BEETLE-GOLF-PASSAT-POLO-TOUAREG-TOURAN-/330999249957

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #703 on: 06 September 2013, 14:05 »

I'm not a fan of those holders, they look a bit like they belong in a Corsa with a home made body kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-BLUE-TAX-DISC-HOLDER-SCIROCCO-JETTA-BEETLE-GOLF-PASSAT-POLO-TOUAREG-TOURAN-/330999249957

I kind of know what you mean with the Corsa look, but got caught up with other posters ordering one. You made my mind up – it’s going back.

I do admire the engineering precision of the item, but it is massively over-engineered and is a heavy lump for what it does (hold your tax disc). It is twice as thick as I thought it would be too.

Need something that won’t have the dealership logo on it. They probably still have the rectangular holders on that have the credit card sized slot for the (now) non-existent VW assistance membership card to sit in. They haven’t issued those cards for about 5 years – they just know your car is on the system when they turn up to get you moving again after a breakdown.

Ricepop

« Reply #704 on: 06 September 2013, 14:08 »

I kind of know what you mean with the Corsa look, but got caught up with other posters ordering one. You made my mind up – it’s going back.

I do admire the engineering precision of the item, but it is massively over-engineered and is a heavy lump for what it does (hold your tax disc). It is twice as thick as I thought it would be too.

Need something that won’t have the dealership logo on it. They probably still have the rectangular holders on that have the credit card sized slot for the (now) non-existent VW assistance membership card to sit in. They haven’t issued those cards for about 5 years – they just know your car is on the system when they turn up to get you moving again after a breakdown.

I had one of those in my mini, it took up the whole windscreen.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #705 on: 06 September 2013, 16:17 »

The anodised red one does look pinkish, and gets worse with exposure to daylight (I might have mentioned this in a previous post, can't remember).  The sticky pads are not bright red, that's just a plastic cover that you remove.  Once in situ, the pads are transparent and don't stand out.  I know a few people with them, and the pads have held them in place for years (they are very soft and sticky).

I disagree with the Corsa-look, each unto their own, but it looks absolutely fine inside the GTI (the Monza Red one does anyway).  Not sure it took up the whole windscreen of a mini either! :grin:
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Ricepop

« Reply #706 on: 06 September 2013, 16:30 »

The anodised red one does look pinkish, and gets worse with exposure to daylight (I might have mentioned this in a previous post, can't remember).  The sticky pads are not bright red, that's just a plastic cover that you remove.  Once in situ, the pads are transparent and don't stand out.  I know a few people with them, and the pads have held them in place for years (they are very soft and sticky).

I disagree with the Corsa-look, each unto their own, but it looks absolutely fine inside the GTI (the Monza Red one does anyway).  Not sure it took up the whole windscreen of a mini either! :grin:

The dealer one with the slot for the card took up the whole window.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #707 on: 06 September 2013, 16:47 »
The dealer one with the slot for the card took up the whole window.

OK sorry, misunderstood what you were referencing, but being pedantic, I doubt that took up the whole windscreen either! :grin:

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #708 on: 06 September 2013, 18:52 »

I think it's the boltholes that might make it look a bit Corsa-ish, but in the case of the Richbrook, they are actually bolts rather than something printed on.Still semi tempted with the black....

I think the same colour as the car might look naff after seeing the one that arrived - unless it exactly matches the paint shade of the car, may be better to have contrast e.g. white car/black or red holder, red car/silver or black holder, black car/red silver holder.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #709 on: 06 September 2013, 20:03 »
I definitely agree that a contrast is the way to go if you do go that route.  I had a white one held up against my old Mk5, and while the shade of it was more like pure white, it didn't look nice at all being the same colour.  With a red GTI, black would work really well as there are gloss black accents around the car and wheels.