Author Topic: New Arrivals!!  (Read 1161791 times)

dervy

Re: New Arrivals!!
« Reply #340 on: 27 July 2013, 07:50 »
Mentioned this way back:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=254838.msg2362525#msg2362525

Why do they need the insurance to get it taxed.  Last car I bought when the car was en route the dealer called me with the good news.  Guy says "Will you arrange your own insurance or do you want our free cover?"  I say I'll take the free cover.  Guy says "No problem here is the number."  So I called and 2mins later its done.

You have always needed insurance to get it taxed. You can get the tax online nowadays as they simply check against the insurance database. But given this is a brand new car that has never been taxed / insured there will be no online database for them to check, hence they have to send a driver to pick up the tax disc with a physical copy of the insurance.
Or maybe I've misread you Bill?
There has now been a bit of a change in the taxing system, this commenced on the 19th July I believe.

I took out the free seven day insurance as I was going away when the car arrived at the dealership, this ensured that they had the cover note and were able to tax the car, as it is sent directly to the dealer. Before you collect the car you will be asked to complete form AFRL which confirms details of the vehicle to be taxed. This MUST be signed by the registered keeper. Now here is where the change comes in. You will drive the vehicle away without a tax disc as it is no longer collected from a local DVLA office (many have closed) and a brand new car cannot be taxed at the post office. The tax disc will be sent to you at your home address within 14 days of the AFRL being submitted. You bill be provided with a document explaining this. You are advised to keep this in your glove box in order to show to any police officers or traffic wardens who are not up to speed with the new system. Traffic officers should be completely au fait with the. Way thigs work now. Hope this helps.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #341 on: 27 July 2013, 11:35 »
Been down today to have a look and it's stunning but definitely not ready for handover. Apparently the reason for delay is not down to the tax but rather the paperwork for the finance on the car. Collecting it on Monday so not too long to wait.

Only small gripe was that I had asked for them not to drill the number plates on but unfortunately they have been to quick of the mark and drilled the holes already. The dealer told me without me asking and to be fair he did apologise profusely. No big deal, ill still get the number plates stuck on and they will just hide the holes.

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #342 on: 27 July 2013, 11:51 »
Been down today to have a look and it's stunning but definitely not ready for handover. Apparently the reason for delay is not down to the tax but rather the paperwork for the finance on the car. Collecting it on Monday so not too long to wait.

Only small gripe was that I had asked for them not to drill the number plates on but unfortunately they have been to quick of the mark and drilled the holes already. The dealer told me without me asking and to be fair he did apologise profusely. No big deal, ill still get the number plates stuck on and they will just hide the holes.

I will all be worth the wait for sure, I bet you couldn't stop grinning when you saw it  :grin:  (Apart from the drill holes)  :angry:
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #343 on: 27 July 2013, 11:53 »

I will all be worth the wait for sure, I bet you couldn't stop grinning when you saw it  :grin:  (Apart from the drill holes)  :angry:

Yeah can't wait pal. I'm now carless as well having sold mine this morning

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #344 on: 27 July 2013, 13:38 »
I bet you can't wait Craig.
You will not be disappointed.

What's wrong with screwing the plates in?
As long as they use non rusting screws and match the screw cover colours.

Don't forget to ask them not to put their stickers all over the windows.
Enjoy :cool:
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #345 on: 27 July 2013, 16:39 »
I bet you can't wait Craig.
You will not be disappointed.

What's wrong with screwing the plates in?
As long as they use non rusting screws and match the screw cover colours.

Don't forget to ask them not to put their stickers all over the windows.
Enjoy :cool:

Nothing worse than losing a numberplate because those sticky pads are next to useless. I'll welcome my plates being drilled if the screws are capped and stainless.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #346 on: 27 July 2013, 17:17 »

My present dealer screwed my plates in despite me telling him verbally and including the instructions in 2 different emails!!
The first I knew was when he emailed me pictures of my new car which clearly showed the plates screwed in!!
I've always had private plates that are small so when transferring to these I didn't want any holes showing below.
I insisted they get it smart repaired which they did so problem solved but dealers just don't listen.

@monkeyhanger Not sure what pads you used to stick previous plates but the tape I use is far to strong. There is no way you can remove the plate by pulling it. The only way to remove it is running dental floss behind it.
Its just the number plate tape on a roll.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #347 on: 27 July 2013, 17:55 »
Looks great

More sunroof pics please  :laugh:

Especially the view from inside !
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #348 on: 27 July 2013, 19:42 »
Some superb examples in here! Jealous doesn't even cover it :(

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #349 on: 27 July 2013, 22:34 »
Just clicked over 1000 miles.

Simply sublime motoring, what a machine.
And yes, I know, I'm very, very lucky to have mine early.

The pain of limited allocation will make it so much more special when your GTI eventually arrives.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.