Author Topic: Calypso mk2 Golf 1.8T Stahl S2's/Recaro/Votex/Happich/Brembo  (Read 36597 times)

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
Thought I would start a thread for my project car which is undergoing a 1.8T 20v conversion, most of it I will copy from a local forum, but will update as I progress  :-bd

Some may have read in my other build thread that my white mk2 shell needed alot of welding and just wasnt really worth saving so I took everything off I needed or thought I might be able to sell on and loaded her onto a trailer and took her to be crushed!

Ok so the story about this Calypso Green (LA6 Z) GTI! Was looking through the readers rides threads on here and saw that TK had picked it up after winning it on ebay, his plans were to start another project (had some awesome dubs), break it, or sell it. I was a bit gutted about the shell I had after finding the rust so sent him a PM straight away! He offered me to go have a look and if I liked it buy if off him. So the next day me, my old man and my good friend Adam headed down to have a look at it! He had told me that for the price I shouldn't expect a minter, it had been stood in a barn for 2 years but fired up and ran, needed the front end putting on etc. Anyway got down there after drooling over his mk1 with berg cup arches  8)  and his friends mk1 berg cup with a G60 I decided to buy the mk2 as it looked like a really solid shell. Paid the man the monies, rented a trailer the next morning and picked her up in the afternoon

So here she is when I got her home!

Totally fell in love with the colour as soon as I saw it! My plans are still the same to drop a 1.8T in but im going to get the car roadworhty and get it through an mot. Run it with the 8v GTI engine and do little bits now and then. My girlfriends dad used to own a body shop and mot staion, he has since sold the body shop and kept the mot station. He has offered to fill all the dints and respray the whole outside of the car if i pay for the paint, materials and help dig the footings for their new house. Good deal I reckon!

So the first thing I did was to strip out the interior and see what the floor pans were like and find any rust, this is what I found ...

First mk2 to be totally dry in the footwells?  :grin:

Not all good news tho! I found this dirty big barstard under the carpet

This was the only bit of rust I found inside the car

I had already bought a big tin of tetroseal/underseal so thought id do the inner arches and front doors, so sanded the rust to bare metal and gave it a good lick of underseal

« Last Edit: 15 January 2015, 18:29 by dubsport »

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
Re: Calypso Mk2 GTI - 1.8T 20v
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2013, 20:36 »
Also replaced the handbrake with a mk3 one as I just prefer them really, will be getting it retrimmed in black leather soon!

Aftre that I started to prep and paint the sunroof deflector and arms I took from the other shell as they are in really good condition  :D

Next job was to remove the boot plith and replace it with a black one, I did not like this look  :lol:  so the colour coded one went back on! did find this little bit of rust, will get it sorted when she is resprayed in a few weeks tho! I replaced the light bulb holders as ther other ones were shot!

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2013, 20:37 »
Today was an expensive day!  :?  Bought 27 sheets of 'Skinz' sound deadening! Amazing stuff, lined out the interior of the car and it no longer sounds like dropping a tin can on the floor when shutting the doors  :D

I thought I had washed the inside pretty well. Apparently I hadn't  :roll:  My girlfriend is a bit of a freak ... I mean clean freak :lol: so from being to girlie to help, she then actually got stuck in on the things she could do with out breaking a nail!  :P

This is Sidney she likes to clean things

So the door cards and carpets are now cleaner then when they were new and smell amazing, seats tomorrow!  :D

Few shiney bits

That's all for now, will update again soon, hopefully with it sitting on the new fk ak coillies I have in the shed   :wink:

Evening!

Got home from work, whacked the kettle on, made a coffee and the got a bit more done on the Golf!

My plan was to get, the rear arches washed, painted with underseal and the rear coillies on, it got dark at 7pm tonight and I am very accident prone, managed to knock over the double halogen light and broke both the bulbs :lol: So I only managed to pressur wash the rear arches and remove the struts :oops:

Anyway few pics, as everyone likes pics :D

Dutty ol' arch

All washed

Old vs. new

Tucked away for the night waiting for me to finish work tomorrow and crack orrn!

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2013, 20:38 »
Just to keep the thread alive, few pics of tonights efforts, rear coillies greased and fitted, will be winding them all the way down

Also gave the G60 brakes a few coats of hammerite :)

Wound the rear coillies down all the way tonight! 8) These will be my winter wheels, cant remember what make they are but they are so light. Will need 4 new tyres as they are getting near the legal limit so will get some lower profile ones. I am also going to be rolling the arches as im looking to be running 8" alloys :D

Test fitted some different alloys tonight, 15" ... 7.5J ... ET15, hmm 8)

Ronal R15 Firehawks, (has made in W Germany stamped onto the back, not even there anymore is it? :lol: )

They will be getting resprayed and polished soon :D

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2013, 20:40 »
Took a half day at work today to get some stuff done on the ol' girl, as always didnt get anywhere near as much done as I thought I would, get too easily distracted :lol: 

Took the front wings off, presure washed the arches and then gave them a going over with underseal! Found no rust at all .. OSSUM!

After that I fitted the front coilovers and ... well that's it really haha. Need to fit the G60 front brakes and then I can work on getting the front end looking more like a car again. Picked up a mint 2 lamp grill tonight that im going to pin stripe red, hopefully the next update will be more interesting!

Right so today finished fitting the front coilovers and then proceeded to wind them all the way down  :twisted:

Still some clearance with the bumper  :D

Collected an o2a gearbox at the weekend, just need G60 engine mounts and hydralic pedal box and then can start on getting the 20v lump in :) In other news i bought some pretty thick polythene sheet, traced the door cards and cut them out, hopefully the duck tape will hold, fingers crossed

Some more progress!

Managed to pick up a few parts I needed (GTI subframe, 20mm passat ARB, 16v hubs, AGU throttle body, polybushed wishbones) from WILL, cheers dude really happy with everything! Im sure you will be hearing from me soon for some more parts :lol:

My subframe has taken a proper heavy knock at some point and is all bent out of shape, dont have any pics but will get some when I replace it! Tonight I rubbed down the new one and gave it a few coats of hammerite along with the polybushed wish bones!

Sorry about the quality of the pics, my photobucket account is playing up so had to upload them to Facebook :evil:

My MOMO boss turned up today so I can fit my MOMO steering wheel over the weekend, fitted the TT seats in too :)

The list of parts I need to get and then I can get started on fitting the engine!  :D

G60 fly wheel
VR6 clutch
G60 engine mounts
Hydraulic pedal box
1.8t master cylinder
Qpeng down pipe
Engine loom made up and de-immobilised ECU

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2013, 20:42 »
Evening!

Spent most of today removing the engine and sub frame ... sounds pretty easy but with no engine hoist I had to get a bit inventive! :lol: Feels good to have actually made some progress towards getting the conversion started! :)

So this is how she stood this morning!

Then drove her into the garage for the last time with the 8v GTI engine pulling her!  :unsure:  Well she has covered 145k miles, deserves a new heart :wub:

Stripped the front end down, unplugged all the ancillaries, drained all the fluids and started to remove the engine mount bolts when one sheared off :blink: so this meant I had to change my plan of attack. Shot up to my girlfriend’s dad’s garage via McDonalds, stopped for a light lunch and picked up an M12 spline to get the cylinder head bolts out. Got home removed the cylinder head bolts and unbolted the downpipe from the exhaust (was going to remove it near the manifold but I’m sure VW purposely had fun designing it so its awkward as F**K to work on  <_<) Then I managed to pull the cylinder head up and out  :D

I then unbolted the rest and got the bottom end out like this  :lol:

That pretty much took me until 6pm :P I also removed the sub frame from the steering rack and then dropped it down, here is a pic of why I’m replacing it

Must have been a rum sized rabbit :o

My O2a box is pretty dirty but gave part of it a clean up to see, if I can get the rest looking like this I’ll be happy  B)

Right so did a little bit more tonight, whacked on Queens of the Stoneage, turned the volume up and started nitormors'in, swearing and grinding away at this!

Managed to get it look something like this

Applied some of this

... and the went inside and had a Koppaberg 

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2013, 20:48 »
Started hoarding parts again, lately picked up a polybushed Eibach rear ARB, 23mm master cylinder, 16v rear mounts and some smoked/red crystal rear lights  :D

Braved the cold tonight and got a a little bit more done on the bay! Started off like this

Started to sand down the rust and then got the trusty grinder out and ended up something like this

Undersealed the chassis leg

Tomorrow im going to make a start on the battery tray, decided im going to get rid of all the surface rust, prime it and then paint it matt black... not going for a trophy winner so I reckon that will look good enough  :lol:

Carried on with the battery tray today, I will be painting the whole bay gloss black in future but for now ...

Had a really good find today, well my dad did then told me :lol: I got home from the gym last night and my ol man said to follow him to the garage. Sitting there was a pair of seriously mint OE front wings, both doors (16v green tinted glass + OE electric windows) and a black uncut parcel shelf... again mint! :) downside was I had to cough up £120 for it  :lol: 

Any way he told me that the scrap yard he went to had a 16v mk2 with a popped engine, so took the day off work and we went back down there today. Ended up walking away with centre console + window switches + loom, rear green tinted glass, both roof guttering + clips, intact handbrake cover, thicker scuttle panels, rear boot turret carpets and a few other little bits of trim and screws/clips etc all for the princely sum of £30    Matey boy asked me what price would make me happy ... thought I was being cheeky when i was about to offer £40 but my dad said £30 and he was cool with it ... so bonus  :D

:shock:

After a lite sponging

Went over the scuttle with this, smells soo good

50/50 shot

So lots to be cracking on with! think the next main thing will be getting the ol girl prept and painted!

Few more little bits done, trying to get everything painted before the engine is dropped in, just saving for the respray at the moment, would be cool to get her done this year but with how the passat is shaping up im not in much of a rush to get her finished tbh :?

This makes moving the engine about so much easier  :lol:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2013, 22:45 »
Enjoyed reading that! Looks like a great project, can't wait to see it progress :afro:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2013, 10:52 »
Looking forward to more updates :afro:

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2013, 11:02 »
Some progress! :shocked:

Started prepping the golf yesterday, well, I helped my girlfriends dad where I could :grin: was pleasantly surpised again that there was no rust on the rear arches, sills or behind the rear bumper :afro:

Got a few little dents sorted and then wet flat the whole car, need to prep and blend with scotch brite the shuts, rear skirt and engine bay etc but really glad that we got this much done yesterday! Today im going to remove the wiring from the engine bay. Should be getting the wishbones/brake servo etc back from the powder coaters this week so I can build the subframe back up and get the car on 4 wheels again so I can trailer it to the paint shop :smiley: