Author Topic: Winter tyres - What wheels are you using  (Read 4320 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Winter tyres - What wheels are you using
« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2012, 11:45 »
You'd be foolish not to tell them but there has been a lot of hype over insurance companies and winter tyres.
When I was renewing my policy recently I asked them about it and they said as long as the wheels / tyres were the same size they didn't have to be informed!!

Here is a link of insurance companies that need to be / don't need to be informed:
http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/Consumers/General/Winter_Tyres__The_Motor_Insurance_Committment.aspx
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2012, 12:09 »
Im not into looks for winter. So i would rather have the poorer looks of 16s and pay less for 4 tyres rather than silly amounts for 18" tyres. My total wheel tyre package price was £299.37

More ideas
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=207445.0
« Last Edit: 11 December 2012, 12:15 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Edi35

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2012, 12:13 »
You'd be foolish not to tell them but there has been a lot of hype over insurance companies and winter tyres.
When I was renewing my policy recently I asked them about it and they said as long as the wheels / tyres were the same size they didn't have to be informed!!

Here is a link of insurance companies that need to be / don't need to be informed:
http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/Consumers/General/Winter_Tyres__The_Motor_Insurance_Committment.aspx

Thanks p3asa, useful link. So as long as the wheel and tyre combination meets VW spec then you should be ok. Specs are probably listed in the drivers manual. I would have to inform my insurance company by the looks of it.

So Dubber depending on who you are insured with you may need to contact them despite using OE wheels and same size rubber.
Current: GTI Edition 35 Candy White 5dr DSG 19" Glendale, RCD510+DAB, Dynaudio, Storage Pack, Parking Sensors

Gone: Edition 35, GTI Mk6, Edition 30, GTI Mk4, GTI Mk3, GTI Mk2 and my favourite the UR quattro
For those that dont know DSG is an electronically controlled dual-clutch multiple-shaft manual gearbox

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2012, 12:14 »
I got a set of 16" VW alloys from a breakers for £120. And 16" tyres are cheaper to buy. They look crap, but it's winter, so I don't care.

Remember you need 4 winter tyres for emergencies. A car with 2 winter tyres nearly hit me last year. He breaked on a corner and the rear of his car swung onto myside of the road. :angry: Do not listen to people who say you only need 2 (that's what my tyre fitter said to me - I looked at him like he had 2 heads :shocked:). You only need 2 to get you going. But you need 4 to get you stopped safely in an emergency. Don't mistake traction for grip. Traction on the 2 front tyres will get you going. You need grip on all 4 tyres to get you stopped safely in an emergency. Do your own research.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2012, 12:29 »

So Dubber depending on who you are insured with you may need to contact them despite using OE wheels and same size rubber.

Phew, I'm in the clear. :smiley:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Edi35

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2012, 14:20 »

Phew, I'm in the clear. :smiley:

:cool:
Current: GTI Edition 35 Candy White 5dr DSG 19" Glendale, RCD510+DAB, Dynaudio, Storage Pack, Parking Sensors

Gone: Edition 35, GTI Mk6, Edition 30, GTI Mk4, GTI Mk3, GTI Mk2 and my favourite the UR quattro
For those that dont know DSG is an electronically controlled dual-clutch multiple-shaft manual gearbox

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2012, 20:34 »
Never fitted a set of winter tyres to a car in over 20 years of driving, just adjust my driving to suit the conditions.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 11 December 2012, 20:55 »
Apart from the initial outlay of new wheels, which you should recoup if you sold your car, its a no brainer as you can only wear one set out at a time!  :laugh:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 12 December 2012, 08:26 »
Never fitted a set of winter tyres to a car in over 20 years of driving, just adjust my driving to suit the conditions.

I hadn't either until last year, but the difference is so noticeable, especially when it's cold and greasy, never mind snow and ice.

Apart from the initial outlay of new wheels, which you should recoup if you sold your car, its a no brainer as you can only wear one set out at a time!

Too true.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 12 December 2012, 09:42 »

How do you adapt when you can't get the car moved off the driveway because the summer tyres sit and spin?

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.