Author Topic: GTI Review and links.  (Read 321037 times)

Offline corgi

• I live here
Re: GTI Review and links.
« Reply #600 on: 19 November 2013, 10:49 »
The PP demands a kind of "recalibration" from your mind. It's diff is electronically controlled

The diff on the performance pack equipped Golf GTI is mechanical not electronic...
No no.... he is correct.... the Golf is the worlds first front wheel driven car to feature a Electronically controled Mechanical Diff. E-Diff.
The Ferrari F458 has a E-Diff too albeit a different type  :grin:

No, the stuff I have read shows the difference between the standard and performance pack is the addition of a mechanical diff (bigger brakes etc.) - the electronics remain essentially the same. The diffis not electronically controlled, the electronics operate on the brakes as a part of the traction and stability control programme.

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #601 on: 19 November 2013, 11:14 »
The PP demands a kind of "recalibration" from your mind. It's diff is electronically controlled

The diff on the performance pack equipped Golf GTI is mechanical not electronic...
No no.... he is correct.... the Golf is the worlds first front wheel driven car to feature a Electronically controled Mechanical Diff. E-Diff.
The Ferrari F458 has a E-Diff too albeit a different type  :grin:

No, the stuff I have read shows the difference between the standard and performance pack is the addition of a mechanical diff (bigger brakes etc.) - the electronics remain essentially the same. The diffis not electronically controlled, the electronics operate on the brakes as a part of the traction and stability control programme.
  :cool:

:laugh: :cool:

I would say this is a way better system and a shame the Golf R didnt get VAQ with Haldex, XDS+ kills the brake pads / discs and heats them up quicker during sports style driving.
The Golf R will probably understeer just like all the previous generation Haldex systems  :sad:
« Last Edit: 19 November 2013, 11:37 by 2013GTi »
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #602 on: 19 November 2013, 12:00 »
I stand corrected; however, I should be very interested to understand exactly what the electronics are controlling and how because... your (pistonheads) graphic states "Electronically controlled, hydraulically activated" which suggests something other than direct electronic control of the diff...

As stated, they are sufficiently vague, as to how the control works to make their statement ambiguous...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Geomets

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #603 on: 19 November 2013, 18:01 »
The VAQ is essentially a transverse derivative of a HALDEX system. And yes, it's electronically controlled. The ESP sensors are predicting the car will slip, then an electronic signal is sent to the hydraulic pump which activates and pressurize the fluid which in turn is coupling the diff's plates to the exact amount it is needed to share the available torque to the wheels. It's a Porsche Torque Vectoring System in the front wheels. That's a VAG part-sharing byproduct which suits us!!! :smiley:

Offline Robbo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #604 on: 22 November 2013, 14:02 »
Golf GTD Manual 5 Door, Carbon Grey.

Offline Ian.C

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #605 on: 24 November 2013, 11:07 »
GTI PP vs Megane Sport.....not sure if its been posted before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5hZwUuFX5A#t=43

Ian
3 Door - Pure White - PP

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #606 on: 24 November 2013, 14:25 »
The VAQ is essentially a transverse derivative of a HALDEX system. And yes, it's electronically controlled. The ESP sensors are predicting the car will slip, then an electronic signal is sent to the hydraulic pump which activates and pressurize the fluid which in turn is coupling the diff's plates to the exact amount it is needed to share the available torque to the wheels. It's a Porsche Torque Vectoring System in the front wheels. That's a VAG part-sharing byproduct which suits us!!! :smiley:
so does it need regular separate  oil changes like haldex? Anything said in the service book?
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Geomets

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #607 on: 24 November 2013, 15:22 »
so does it need regular separate  oil changes like haldex? Anything said in the service book?
I don't have the service book as I do not have the car yet... But it's the usual bussines. Long life engine oil? Pah! Non changeable gearbox oil? Come on... I doubt it says anything. Of course I will be changing them at 80000km, as exactly was stated at the first generations of Haldex equipped vehicles (Seat Leon 20vt4, Audi S3 mk1 etc)

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #608 on: 29 November 2013, 23:08 »
Bit of a promo video by an Aussie VW dealer but the CSG paintwork looks lovely in this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xa7j61jxHw

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #609 on: 30 November 2013, 11:44 »
Bit of a promo video by an Aussie VW dealer but the CSG paintwork looks lovely in this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xa7j61jxHw

Have you noticed the lights on this clip don't have the red line through. I know there not xenon but thought they might have used the standard ones.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger