Author Topic: GTI Review and links.  (Read 321915 times)

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
Re: New GTI Reviews?
« Reply #40 on: 21 April 2013, 14:44 »

"But there’s really only one thing you need to know about the latest GTI to understand why it’s as peachy to drive as it is. The chap who signed off the chassis of this car used to work for Porsche until VW gave him a new set of overalls with the words ‘Golf GTI’ emblazoned on them. And when he worked for Porsche, his last job was to sign off a car called the ‘997’ GT3 RS.

So right there, you can see the pedigree that the new GTI contains – because the 997 GT3 RS was one of the best-handling Porsche road cars that there has ever been. Amen."
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 21 April 2013, 14:58 »
Great read! Not so fussed on the black paint...

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline ROO1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #42 on: 21 April 2013, 15:39 »

Sounds great, I thought the paint looked smart
Mk7 Golf GTD on order for 64 plate delivery
5 door
Pure White

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 21 April 2013, 15:54 »
Cheers Jonny, i downloaded Evo to my ipad yesterday only to discover it was last months!! :embarrassed: :angry:

Yes, I'm a subscriber and it only popped through my letterbox yesterday (Saturday).  It's No. 183, the June 2013 copy you need  :smiley: 
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 21 April 2013, 15:58 »
New online review by Steve Sutcliffe on Autocar!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf-gti/first-drives/2013-volkswagen-golf-gti-performance-edition-first-drive

He's very impressed....

Good find  :smiley:  ... that's exactly the same car as in the EVO "Driven" review.
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 21 April 2013, 16:03 »

That looks very much like Carbon Steel Grey to me. :nerd:

Sounds promising to say the least, the sat nav looks like it's got google earth on it? I'll bet thats an option we won't see?? :'(
« Last Edit: 21 April 2013, 16:15 by Jimble »
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline ROO1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #46 on: 21 April 2013, 16:21 »

That looks very much like Carbon Steel Grey to me. :nerd:

Sounds promising to say the least, the sat nav looks like it's got google earth on it? I'll bet thats an option we won't see?? :'(

Yes Carbon
5 door
Pure White

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #47 on: 21 April 2013, 17:17 »
Tbh I think we're gonna get a lot of conflicting reviews in the next few weeks depending on which magazine is covering the review and more importantly which car journo is doing the review.  I like to believe that Steve Sutcliffe from Autocar gives a fairly good balanced 'honest' opinion, whereas the likes of say EVO magazine are more biased towards more "driver focused" cars more suitable for 'Hooning' around in.

I agree the GTi isn't the most 'exciting' car in the hot hatch market... If I had wanted "Exciting" I would have purchased say the Renault Megane 265 Cup, Vauxhall Astra VXR or BMW M135i.  But exciting doesn't always mean everyday usability, which is where the GTi fits in. I like the fact that its 'Quick' but not blindingly quick you loose your licence in a flash. I like the fact that it looks handsome, but in an understated way... Not too 'Shouty' but still means business when viewed in the rear view mirror.

I've driven a lot of quote: "Exciting" cars in my time, but all have been compromised in many ways eg teeth shattering ride quality, eye watering fuel consumption & bank breaking service costs & consumables. They're alright to drive when you're in the mood for a bit of excitement (which isn't always eg nipping down to the shops or taking the kids to school). However my current Mk 6 GTi offers the best of BOTH worlds which epitomises why it's such a great car in its own right.
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline the sniper

• Not said much yet
« Reply #48 on: 22 April 2013, 03:12 »
Auto Express verdict is now up: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/63631/vw-golf-gti-performance-pack.

5 Stars - "Volkswagen has done a fabulous job with the new Golf GTI. It’s comfortable, fast and, when fitted with the Performance Pack, it serves up enough fun to satisfy any hot hatch buyer. Factor in more generous standard equipment, lower running costs and the kind of evergreen desirability that transcends all demographics, and what we have here is the best all-round hot hatch ever created."

They've got a red one, which looks great in those pictures.

Offline ROO1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #49 on: 22 April 2013, 04:44 »
Auto Express verdict is now up: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/63631/vw-golf-gti-performance-pack.

5 Stars - "Volkswagen has done a fabulous job with the new Golf GTI. It’s comfortable, fast and, when fitted with the Performance Pack, it serves up enough fun to satisfy any hot hatch buyer. Factor in more generous standard equipment, lower running costs and the kind of evergreen desirability that transcends all demographics, and what we have here is the best all-round hot hatch ever created."

They've got a red one, which looks great in those pictures.

Great review
5 door
Pure White