Author Topic: Mk7 GTi  (Read 47953 times)

Offline mike.

• I live here
Re: Mk7 GTi
« Reply #30 on: 23 August 2012, 21:24 »
I was getting wheels replaced under warranty and one of the replacements had white worm out of the box and it hadn't even been fitted to a car.  :shocked:
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #31 on: 23 August 2012, 21:40 »
220 PS = approx 216 BHP
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 23 August 2012, 21:51 »

Everydays a school day!!

I thort white worm was caused by damage of the wheel...thank you for enlightening me :smiley:

I should have said more clearly...it IS caused by damage to the wheel!
Usually minute damage of small stones hitting the wheel as you drive. Grit, heavy dist at speed etc impacts the wheel and makes a minute impact mark on the lacquer...over time moisture gets in...and bingo! Whiteworm.

Sometimes it's an uneven lacquer coating leaving exposed metal (or even chrome type finished plastic) but normally it's from very small impact marks.
Driving through winter on gritted/salty roads will inevitably lead to the dreaded whiteworm...and sadly, although loads of sealant/wax helps, it won't stop it.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 23 August 2012, 21:57 »

I had one wheel replaced under warranty due to white worm but no damage at all.

Jim

There would most likely have been small impact marks on it if you looked under a microscope...but lets be honest: every wheel gets that...
But the combination of a polished (diamond cut) face and lacquer not really keying too well to a polished surface gives the dreaded whiteworm an easy start.

VW have been getting caught with this since the late Mk2s.

There isn't the same grit and crap on the roads of most North European countries as they tent to be sensible enough to fit winter tyres...whereas we just throw grit on the roads...which ups the change of the dreaded whiteworm.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Edi35

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 24 August 2012, 07:57 »
Whiteworm is a pain, I have suffered this on centre caps but luckily not on any diamond cut wheels so far. The Monzas on my MK6 had slight damage where the centre caps fitted and I was worried that i would get whiteworm and took it the dealer who photographed them to keep a record of any corrosion but they never got any worse. I make sure I wash the wheels every week without fail.
Current: GTI Edition 35 Candy White 5dr DSG 19" Glendale, RCD510+DAB, Dynaudio, Storage Pack, Parking Sensors

Gone: Edition 35, GTI Mk6, Edition 30, GTI Mk4, GTI Mk3, GTI Mk2 and my favourite the UR quattro
For those that dont know DSG is an electronically controlled dual-clutch multiple-shaft manual gearbox

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 24 August 2012, 10:24 »
New to this diamond cut alloy thing so thanks all, good to know chaps...
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 24 August 2012, 12:46 »
Only thing for me is by the time the Golf.:R MKVII comes out it will have some unbelievably hard ECU to crack AMD so by the time decent software and bolt-on mods are available it will be 2015! :sad:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 24 August 2012, 15:52 »
Small presentation but no real pictures

However is does mention runflat tyres in the spec  :sick:
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

MonkeyP

« Reply #38 on: 24 August 2012, 16:36 »
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/VW-Golf-Mk7-2013-the-latest-artists-impressions/

Heres another link now!  :grin:

This might be just me but what happen to conventional hand brake. Whats so hard about pulling the leaver up and then putting it down.

y does eveything have to be electric these days. I love a bit of handbrake turning in the snow!

Offline Belix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #39 on: 24 August 2012, 16:40 »
Not wild on electric park brake either. And what's new about Park Pilot and ACC? I wonder what 'ergonomic seats' would be