Author Topic: Winter Tyre Threads  (Read 3650 times)

Offline RedHP

• I live here
Winter Tyre Threads
« on: 28 October 2010, 17:29 »
Hey guys and gals,

I have noticed quite a few winter tyre threads, what is the reason for this? I have a Gti with the 18 inch shadow monza's as standard, will I have a problem with these during the winter.....?
Just wondering why many are changing to winter tyres on front wheel drive.....?

As you can probably tell, I'm not as technical as many of you...!

Thanks

Red
Mk6 GiT since birth in 2010

YNWA

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
Re: Winter Tyre Threads
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2010, 17:55 »
I think after the last 2winters and also the Monza's people on here are concerned they may kerb them or slide into another motor , well thats my thinking anyway. Basicaly you need good tyres on a perfomance car. If we do get a lot snow be prepared  :cool:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline RedHP

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2010, 18:23 »
Oh !
I would have thought that as the tyres have been fitted as standard, VW are confident of all weather use. If they aren't appropriate for use during the winter (snow & ice), why wasn't this thought of during the tyre selection period...?

Red

YNWA

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2010, 18:56 »
Oh !
I would have thought that as the tyres have been fitted as standard, VW are confident of all weather use. If they aren't appropriate for use during the winter (snow & ice), why wasn't this thought of during the tyre selection period...?

Red

They are all year round tyres...which basically means they aren't especialy grippy in the summer or in winter.
Personally, I'd rather have some sticky rubber on in summer, and dedicated winter tyres on in winter...as where I live, I'll not be going far without winter tyres!

Standard tyres are fine...fine in summer and fine in winter.
But you can do considerably better.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline RedHP

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2010, 19:11 »
Advice noted guys, thanks !

Red

YNWA

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2010, 19:43 »
Oh !

Red
You will find ALL car companys have recomended tyres and rubber for winter use and its often the law to use such setups in some countries during certain months of the year.

I find they make a huge difference in winter months but most people dismiss them until they have actually tried them.

« Last Edit: 28 October 2010, 19:46 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2010, 20:15 »
A litle video by autocar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drOtBWhGxks&feature=fvw

A little video showing the differences in different types of tyres
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=26&tab=winter
« Last Edit: 28 October 2010, 20:26 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline RickS

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2010, 13:40 »
I think after the last 2winters and also the Monza's people on here are concerned they may kerb them or slide into another motor , well thats my thinking anyway. Basicaly you need good tyres on a perfomance car. If we do get a lot snow be prepared  :cool:

If we get snow like last year I'm going to go to work in a taxi and damn the expense  :grin: 
2012 R. Rising Blue 3 door DSG with 19" Talladega's, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, DCC, Rear Cam, Colour MFD, Lux pack, Storage pack, Service plan.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2010, 13:49 »
If we get snow like last year I'm going to go to work in a taxi and damn the expense  :grin: 

Ditto, but I'm serious. :smiley:

Otherwise, buy these:

Best 'V' rated Winter Tyre 225/40 R18 92V: GOODYEAR UltraGrip Performance 2

Best 'W' rated Winter Tyre 225/40 R18 92W: MICHELIN Pilot Alpin PA3
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline RickS

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2010, 08:26 »

Ditto, but I'm serious. :smiley:

Otherwise, buy these:

Best 'V' rated Winter Tyre 225/40 R18 92V: GOODYEAR UltraGrip Performance 2

Best 'W' rated Winter Tyre 225/40 R18 92W: MICHELIN Pilot Alpin PA3
I'm serious too, don't let the smiley fool you.
2012 R. Rising Blue 3 door DSG with 19" Talladega's, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, DCC, Rear Cam, Colour MFD, Lux pack, Storage pack, Service plan.