Author Topic: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!  (Read 97018 times)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Re: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!
« Reply #250 on: 20 July 2012, 19:39 »
Well one step forwards, four steps back  :rolleyes:
Been busy, first there was a noise from the water pump area didn't like it so took off the alternator to check bearings and noise still there.
So next was using my new spare water pump. (Once the old pump was off there was play on the shaft)
Good job as the rad needed a flush still had some red stuff powder floating in the system.
Bolted it up and noise gone job done.
Then the cold start issues appeared so cleaned all parts ISV adjusted idle screw and I had to screw the idle screw all the way in to get decent idle! THIS I'll come back to later.
So proceeded to test the metering head and all was good, but the car stank of rich fuel so started to look for air leaks none found.
Then adjusted the co screw on the metering head (anti-clockwise leaner) and found it not responding too well as you know small increments of the Co setting around 2% of mixture.
Scratching head morning time still hard to start but after one minute up to temps its all good no hunting so ISV working well! 
Last attempt changed out the spare the Warm Up regulator to see if it made any difference and she started better, but initially though there was low pressure due to running it dry last week.
Taking the fuel pipe of the WUR might have let air locks out, but getting there!
Finally today thought why the idle screw still had to be screwed all the way in and realised something the air leak was the idle screw!!!
Unwound the dam thing out and sure enough the seals were chewed!
Swapped out the idle screw for my spare one and bang adjustments were stock again still have to wait for a cold morning to fully see if the WUR does it job, but idle seems to be more stable bliping the throttle  :rolleyes:
Next who bloody well knows? :grin: :cry:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #251 on: 23 May 2014, 09:08 »
After the fiasco of the bonnet being damaged during the storm I have secured a new bonnet with new hinges all fits well but paint is an issue of the bonnet.
Taken off the rusty old fuel tank straps and replaced with brand new items with a new mounting plate which is still in stock and VW.
Battery has gone due to non daily use so Bosch S4 item on the way but still cranks over perfectly with another battery and idles well now since all the issues with high revving and air leaks!
Fixed the exhaust rubbers and small leak in mid section stuck a bracket sleeve over the join and bonded it together for tight air seal.
Looking to buy some fuel filter pipes as I'm not happy of the condition as a few years ago they were alright but lack of use and sitting so low they are rotten so @ £40.00 a pop needing two not a cheap fix!
Things on the to do list is working out where the fog lights wiring is as I think they were cut out as the original bumper never ran Fogs at the front. Simple enough if I can find a decent passenger fog lense.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #252 on: 23 May 2014, 19:28 »
about time  :kiss:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #254 on: 22 June 2014, 13:16 »
Waiting for some fuel lines and hopefully all is good!
The banjo bolt was a nightmare I couldn't dremel off bolts too much fuel vapour around LOL.
I've made some brackets to sit where the plastic on the housing looked weak they will break if you force them off!!!
Hours of labour, just to recondition the fuel pump, but look miles better!
If you plan on taking the job on replacement parts are going to be around the £350-£400 to buy parts so be warned!
My car is so low the salt and water has done more damage than it would have if it was stock height!
If you look around you can spend alot less than whats on offer with ebay,GSF and VAG!   
Can't believe GSF are charging £180 for a Accumulator
Can't believe EGAY are charging over £40 per fuel pipe
Can't believe VAG stopped selling the fuel housing!
Can't believe VAG are charging £5 per spring clip £20 just for clips!
:rolleyes:
REMEMBER use a hack saw for pipes and bolts the amount of fuel will kill you even some fuel stuck in the parts on vacum can catch your perm on fire!

[/URL]

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #255 on: 05 July 2014, 14:45 »

Fuel filter arrived and fitted still waiting upon fuel lines should be next week I hope!

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #256 on: 08 July 2014, 21:32 »
I managed to buy a brand new lense left hand side Fog light in the end and have now completed the pair taken awhile for the right one to pop up and got it!
I've Por15 the tank straps to rust proof it and then some tough black paint just to cover the grey!

What next?
The Bumper I bought awhile back needs repairing a few scraps needs addressing and a new coat of paint, then the fogs need to be fitted that's whats next for the Grey Ghost!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #257 on: 08 April 2016, 20:03 »
2 years since this was Last updated and today I went to see Mr clipper.
The golf needs attention. And im sure I heard Jay say he will have it ready for stoner Park....  :laugh:

Here a picy of the old girl.

« Last Edit: 08 April 2016, 20:59 by lemski »