Author Topic: Bluetooth Phone Prep - Which Phones are compatible ?  (Read 7772 times)

Offline Spartacus

• GTI forum regular
I have ordered this from the price list and have an old Nokia 6233.

Does anyone know which models are compatible please ?

Does this option mean I can see my contacts in the display ?

Thanks
Mk6 GTi - returned to leasing company after 3 great years and replaced with :

Mk5 GTi - Edition 30 - Revo 1 and some tweaks - 310 bhp. Its a better car than the Mk6  - Now sold and replaced with :

Mk6 R - Rising Blue 5 Door. Won't be standard 270bhp for long

Family Car : Mercedes ML420 with 360 bhp
Looking at Porsche Macan as replacement

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
Re: Bluetooth Phone Prep - Which Phones are compatible ?
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2009, 13:23 »
I don't want to put you off, seeing as how you have already ordered it, but my dealer actually advised me not to take the VW Bluetooth option and get a far cheaper Parrot kit instead. He said the VW device doesn't work very well and has a lot of comptibility issues. I followed his advice when I ordered my Eos last year and was mightily impressed with the simple little Parrot kit (which they fitted for me free of charge). It was extremely intuitive to use, offered excellent sound quality, was fully compatible with the 4 or 5 phones we tried in our household, and only cost £120. I have asked them to do the same on my GTI when it (finally!!) arrives.

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2009, 20:34 »
Yes, I had the same advice from a dealer. There are a couple of devices that they offer.

How integrated is the parrot kit? Ie does it use the rcd510 and is it all hidden away from sight? I'm really against any kind of hole drilling into the dash as that puts a lot of people off come resell time.

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2009, 06:31 »
Yes, I had the same advice from a dealer. There are a couple of devices that they offer.

How integrated is the parrot kit? Ie does it use the rcd510 and is it all hidden away from sight? I'm really against any kind of hole drilling into the dash as that puts a lot of people off come resell time.

No drilling, no holes, I asked them to stick the Parrot head unit to the dash near the keys under the instruments with Blutac so that I couldn't even see it. It's ergonomic enough to be used without looking at it while driving; just one big button to turn/push. It's also got voice control, which actually works, so you can just tell it who to call, etc. As for integration with the RCD510, there isn't any really other than the sound being routed through the speakers. I didn't have any kind of graphics or text on the screen, but I only had the basic Parrot kit. It does 'announce' who's calling though, so I really can't see what other info you would need. What I like about it is just how simple and effective it is - it just does what it says on the packet :)

Offline Catmando

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2009, 11:48 »
Hi there,

I am about to order my Golf GT and am torn between the factory fitted kit or the park assist parking sensors (I can't have both because I would be over budget).  I also would like to know if the factory fitted version will work with my new Nokia 6303.

The Parrot kits are very good, but having seen the VW kit in operation, I have to say I much prefer the VW kit.  The names and numbers come up on your dashboard and you can control the phone using the buttons on the steering wheel.

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2009, 20:30 »
Hi there,

I am about to order my Golf GT and am torn between the factory fitted kit or the park assist parking sensors (I can't have both because I would be over budget).  I also would like to know if the factory fitted version will work with my new Nokia 6303.

The Parrot kits are very good, but having seen the VW kit in operation, I have to say I much prefer the VW kit.  The names and numbers come up on your dashboard and you can control the phone using the buttons on the steering wheel.

here here catmando.  i can't bear the thought of redundant buttons on my steering wheel.  i am tempted to get this added to my spec and change my phone if it doesn't work! 

so does anyone have the bluetooth prep and which phones work with it?  (i'll check google now too)

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2009, 20:38 »
ok... googling suggests that it is something to do with RSAP, a Nokia technology.  seems that my current phone (N82) is compatible :)

tho i was thinking about changing it as the battery is really bad and its coming up for renewal.  was going to get an iphone as its much sexier.... but that isn't RSAP compatible!    argh... what to do!!

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2009, 18:11 »

i can confirm the Nokia N82 works.  i went to the dealer today and he let me connect my phone to his car.  came up straight away.

this option is getting all the more tempting now, esp as it will give the shark's fin aerial and also mean I can use the steering wheel buttons.

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2009, 08:55 »

chatting a mate last night, no reason why having the bluetooth prep would mean that the shark's fin aerial would be required!  the car i presume acts as a giant hands free kit, so no need for an aerial.

losing faith in the knowledge of the dealers...

also did a little more reading on the fiscon and parrot kits.  both appear to offer use of steering wheel buttons, the fiscon seems to use the RNS (i.e. sat nav) but no mention of the RCD510

http://fiscon-mobile.com/products/versions_vw.php

the websites do not appear to be updated for the Mk6 and the best bet is prob to call them direct to find out compatability.

re: my earlier statement on getting the VW one, the big issue is that the limited compatability will hinder my wife's use of the kit, or anyone else i sell to, plus it will lock me to a certain range of phones.  can't believe VW have screwed this one up so royally.  was this an issue on the Mk5 too?

Offline Catmando

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2009, 09:18 »
Thanks for the reply keelaw :)

Well I have ordered the telephone prep, I test drove one the other day and successfully paired my Nokia 6303 to it.  The phone kit was really good, great quality and had the names and numbers on the dash and as you know could scroll through using the buttons on the wheel.  The kit is far superior in my opinion to anything you could retro fit.

Well I have ordered now, had to lose the luxury pack, but got the telephone prep, parking sensors and rear side airbags.

Just got to wait now!