Author Topic: Dodgy car  (Read 3873 times)

Offline KVW

• Not said much yet
Dodgy car
« on: 25 June 2009, 19:40 »
Picked up my new GTi (Black metallic, 5 door, 18's, manual) late yesterday to discover it had a broken ashtray which the dealership offered to pick up from work today and fix then drop off againwhich suited me fine.

However the drive home revealed three very audible and annoying rattles: both front doors and in the dash. Told them this morning and got a call this afternoon saying to keep driving for a few months to see if it settled. I wasn't happy with this, so was then told it had low profile tyres and sports suspension (non ACC) and I should expect there to be a few rattles. Then I was told that I should be grateful that it rattled less than the test car they had just taken out to compare. Then I was told it was barely audible anyway (it's not) and that I should just put up with it. Then I was told if they start taking things off it might make things worse. So basically they're unwilling to do too much about it. Contacted VW themselves (UK) and they've logged the whole incident and so far I've just organised for the garage to go in and try and sort them out. I'm not too sure where I stand if they can't fix it or make things worse so any advice would be useful. I'm just really gutted that I'm not getting to enjoy the GTi experience as much I thought I would.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
Re: Dodgy car
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2009, 19:54 »
Sorry to hear that mate... good old dealers eh!!

option 1. Kick up a good old fuss with VW and keep hasseling them, even threatening to turn the car down but only as a last resort. Make sure you put a good few miles on it first. they will have quite a few people waiting for new but not used and abused.

option 2. PM me and I will take it off your hands for you  :grin:

good luck bud :wink: :smiley:

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2009, 20:00 »
Take it back, leave it on the dealer forecourt. Grab any smart arsed salesman, tell him whats wrong, tell them to fix it and when you come back it had better be done or they can keep it.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2009, 22:32 »
That is appalling ! I would keep on at them until they fix it. You've just paid in excess of £22k for a product, ask them what they would say if it were their car. Jeepers, back in the day when I worked in a warehouse if a customer ordered a sofa and it had the SLIGHTEST mark on it they could refuse it and get another one. There were returns for stupid things - but our company had to bend over backwards until the managers heads were up each others bums backwards.

Keep on at them and you will get it resolved :afro:
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2009, 23:55 »
Funny enough, I picked up my car last week and have suffered the same annoying rattle from the front dash (front doors are ok).  Sounds like its coming from beneath the front instrument panel and is only audible when you're covering rough patches of asphalt.  Real annoying though.  I would have expected better from a VW, especially having come from a faultless Ford Focus.

Have relayed my concerns with the dealer, who are happy for me to bring it in, but I would rather persevere with it a bit longer, before they start dismantling things and make things worse! It may be a case of letting it bed down.  Still not a good start though.
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2009, 23:59 »
its the grey/chrome strip that rattles was a problem on some mk5s, a easy fix but it should have been sorted from the mk5
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2009, 00:11 »
Thanks Carl.  Not sure really, but will check it out. Sounds like its coming from around the speed/ rev counter or where the front dash meets the steering column.
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2009, 07:40 »
yes thats exactly were mine was coming from and i kept pressing the dials etc but nothing, then has it got worse, i pressed chrome strip and found it was definatly the trim (even tho it doesnt sound like it coming from there)
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2009, 12:54 »
VW loaned me a mk6 when mine was in for service.  The plasticky rattle from just behind the steering wheel was awful.  If it was an old car I'd squirt sealant into the plastic joints but on a brand new vehicle what can you do?

Currently digging a bunker.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2009, 19:47 »
I get one like that and i will be parking out side the entrance and no one is getting in or out until its sorted :angry: