Author Topic: Am I screwed ???  (Read 38266 times)

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
Re: Am I screwed ???
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2009, 15:17 »
If you dont get insurance for it Das Auto, try getting your parents to insure it then add you as a named driver, there are also companies out there that will give you both no claims so that your still building up a bonus.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2009, 15:18 »
Worst case scenario get your parents insured as the main driver and get yourself insured as an additional driver.

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2009, 15:19 »
His parents will have to be the registered keeper to do this though won't they??
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2009, 15:19 »
^^^^^^^ This is called fronting and is illegal. Most insurance companies are very eagle eyed on this these days and you can get in a lot of trouble. You should only be a named driver on a car registered to someone else and the other person uses the car more than 50% of the time.

nick

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2009, 15:20 »
His parents will have to be the registered keeper to do this though won't they??

They don't have to be, although some / most companies will require this. If he has a crash, and he is the registered keeper but not down as the main driver the insurance company will go to town on them to prove they are "fronting".

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #15 on: 19 June 2009, 15:24 »
^^^^^^^ This is called fronting and is illegal. Most insurance companies are very eagle eyed on this these days and you can get in a lot of trouble. You should only be a named driver on a car registered to someone else and the other person uses the car more than 50% of the time.

nick

Thought so as they always ask "are you the registered keeper of the vehicle"...

I am a named driver on my parents A3 Sportback but registered in my Dads name as it would as it's his car, like wise my Mum is a named on my car but my Golf is registered to me...

Trying not to state the obvious, but who buys a £21k+ car without checking the insurance side of things... Especially at 19! It's one of the first things I check along with the cost of the tax  :shocked:
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline Horney

• 10k hero

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #17 on: 19 June 2009, 15:28 »
I've ha d athought on this though. I suspect the OP is buying the GTI on full or partial credit. If this is the case dealers normally ask for proof that the car is insured in the owners name before they hand over the keys. THis is to protect them from the car ebing written off with outstanding HP and not being covered.

nick

nige_s

« Reply #18 on: 19 June 2009, 15:28 »
stern insurance man, he's not happy

Offline Das Auto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 19 June 2009, 15:43 »
when u buy a car from vw you get a weeks free insurance if u get a quote from them