Author Topic: flush boot handle  (Read 1607 times)

Offline acko

• Not said much yet
flush boot handle
« on: 18 August 2004, 11:26 »
Howdy guys,

i've made a flush boot grab handle by fibreglassing over the lock aperture and building it up and then finishing with a flexible filler from isopon. still got a bit of smoothing and many more fillings to go probs untill its totally spot on but it doesn't look too bad, I've got a boot solenoid and a push to close boot release button from... a ford orion (probs shouldn't have mentioned that!) my question is how difficult are they to fit, i've got an idea of how to do it but wanted to know if any body has done it, and if they have where did you mount the switch? i'm thinking onw of the dash blanks could be modified to take the switch?

This is part of my master plan of removing wiper and washer jets, boot lock, and badges from the rear panel, smoooooooooth!

cheers peeps

Offline Colin

• Not said much yet
Re: flush boot handle
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2004, 13:33 »
Hopefully your solenoid will have two wires on it + & -, if so its easy.
fit an in line fuse holder to your battery positive terminal, run a wire off the fuse holder and into the car, (through a grommet) and then up to your chosen switch location, (somewhere out of the way). connect the wire to one side of the switch, from the other side of the switch, run the wire back to the solenoid and connect it to it's positive side. the other side then is connected to earth, and that's all there is.
Now when you put roughly a 20A fuse in, power will be supplied up to the switch. pressing the button will supply power to the solenoid and throw the boot release, if it doesn't it will go bang so make sure you actually understand all this and wire it correctly. It's dead easy if you know, confusing if you don't. "DON'T TAKE A POWER FEED FROM UNDER THE DASH, IT'S MORE CONVEINIENT BUT A SOLENOID CAN DRAW A LOT OF POWER, AND IF YOU HOOK INTO THE WRONG CIRCUIT IT WILL TOAST YOUR CAR ! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED" !