Author Topic: How many mk5 owners are going to upgrade to the mk6  (Read 18308 times)

Offline davoaj

• GTI forum regular
Re: How many mk5 owners are going to upgrade to the mk6
« Reply #20 on: 10 June 2009, 13:07 »
Oh well, us mk5 owners will just have to adopt the same approach as the mk2 owners and be content with our superior older models and leave all you mk6 guys in here, knowing that you'll never venture out of the mk6 section.....oh the irony!!! :grin:

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 10 June 2009, 13:08 »
So based on the comments from the MK5 owners, none of you will ever want a MK6 GTI in the future???  :nerd:

Yes, thats just what I said  :rolleyes:
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline jdjd

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 10 June 2009, 13:22 »
This is what im not understanding. Its seems to be the MkV crew trying to beat down on the Mk6 Constently.
 The GTI is not a 3.2V6 so if you were looking to compare your thingy size with the New GTI your in the wrong thread.
  Ide rather own the Mk6 GTI to R32. My opinion. If ide wanted an R32 ide of bought 1 over my MkV but I prefered the Turbo charged Engine. More easily tuned. Alot less hassle. Less Fuel Consumption.

And yes the new GTI corners better then the MkV. I drive my GTI within an Inch of its life and mine down these country roads. Right on the Limit of where you know the car can handle. I hit the same corners at the same speed and I cudda gone much faster as much as 10mph Ide dare to say the breaks felt more responsive.

Again not what i have heard, a 15 minute test drive is not a good enough comparison to know either.

Oh and the mk6 would be a downgrade, i would be downgrading on looks (imo), power, handling, noise (i could go on)

I would simply have a lesser car with a different body shape and less miles; not an upgrade!

lol, I could list the R32's (MANY) faults but im not going to. Im not out to bash the R32 but its annoying these people just coming in here to bash a car they know nothing about. ill be sure to tell you what the Mk6 is like when I take delivery 6-7weeks now.  

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #23 on: 10 June 2009, 13:35 »
Right, you MK6 boys are really getting the wrong end of the stick :angry:

I have no issues with the MK6, I like it, I think its a really nice car and Id rather have a tubby over the V6 (due to mileage, which is why I bought a GTI and tuned it up rather than buying an R32). But for the considerable extra cost of having to purchase the MK6 there isnt really that much in it over the MK5 which is why I dont think many MK5 people will be looking to upgrade to it as its just not worth it. Looks are VERY similar, engine is VERY VERY similar, interior again VERY similar. Unless money is no object it just make sense to me to chop in the MK5 and have to fork out £12 on top to get it. Coming from any other MK of Golf is a different story.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #24 on: 10 June 2009, 13:40 »
Oh dear, VWKev I'm not sure you quite understand the meaning of upgrade and your sarcasm only makes you look a bit more special. If you need it spelled out an upgrade is changing something for someting better, if you simply mean moving to a newer model then say that. How is someone with a 12 month old r32 moving to a new 1.4 golf upgrading when he's taking a pocket full of cash with him???

And like I said it is just my preference to have a Mk5 ed 30 or r32 over a current gti (although they'd have to be brand new undriven one's to be fair). Saying that I haven't driven the new gti just sat in it and read the reviews.

I understand how revisions work perfectly fine. In my line of work and training involved and in my many years experience this has taught me how revisions work and how they are seen and perceived. The same principles are applied to wither its software or cars etc.

I will repeat myself again as there's a few that are not taking it in. I've tried to go slower but it didnt help so I'll just hope for the best this time round.

Regardless of performance, any cosmetic changes, any change to anything from the old and new GTI's, if your moving from a mk5 car to a mk6 your upgrading. The upgrade my not be better than the old version but your still moving up a revision.

Sounds to me that its the mk5 owners that are having a hard time fathoming this one.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Martz

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #25 on: 10 June 2009, 13:47 »
 :rolleyes:

Another great thread in the MK5 MK6 section I see. Why upgrade if you have something that you enjoy?  If you enjoy changing lease the bloody vehicle FFS.  :lipsrsealed:
« Last Edit: 10 June 2009, 15:20 by Martz »

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #26 on: 10 June 2009, 13:56 »
This is the MK6 sections actually ;) lol

Offline davoaj

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 10 June 2009, 14:00 »
These new MK6 kids make me laugh   :laugh:

You all take it so personally. To summarise this thread, the guys who've ordered their MK6 GTI like it and think it's the best GTI, the MK5 owners (like myself) are happy with their cars and don't think the MK6 warrants the premium they'd have to pay to change, or according to VWKev "upgrade"....... :wink:

Offline Max Q

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 10 June 2009, 14:04 »
The upgrade my not be better than the old version but your still moving up a revision.

Go back to school Kev. Something is only an upgrade if it offers improvement.

Upgrade:  transitive verb
: to raise or improve the grade of:

Moving up a revision does not equal upgrading so please stop repeating it.

On the point of Mk5 owners 'dissing the Mk6, I can only speak for myself but I was hoping for a lot more from VW with the MK6 GTI and what they have given us has been a big letdown. Just my opinion of course. I'll be holding on for the R20 Golf, Scirocco R20T or new S3.
Mk7.5 R DSG Indium Grey 5Dr

Offline jreed110

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 10 June 2009, 15:10 »
Thankyou MaxQ, you saved me the hassle of a third effort to explain to Kev the meaning of 'upgrading'!

And likewise I'm not here to bash the Mk6, personally I like the looks inside and out even if they are very similar to the Mk5. My point was that at present there is not a replacement for the two top models of the mk5 which I still prefer. The main issue with the mk6 is that you seem to be getting a lot less for your money, a standard gti now costs the same as the ed 30, add the 18" wheels and seats that came as standard on the ed30 and you start to see a big rise. However it's not VW's fault, it's down to the strength of the pound. It now seems that late Mk5 adopters got themselves a bit of a bargain.