Author Topic: How many mk5 owners are going to upgrade to the mk6  (Read 18313 times)

Offline carl1

• I live here
Re: How many mk5 owners are going to upgrade to the mk6
« Reply #10 on: 09 June 2009, 22:50 »
im saying its better than ed30, my reasons, just a quick as ed30 in standard form , better built, slightly better handling and more economocal imo  :evil:
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 09 June 2009, 23:30 »
oh and i forgot, dare i say better looking
« Last Edit: 09 June 2009, 23:37 by carl1 »
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline jdjd

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 10 June 2009, 02:02 »
What makes the Ed30 better? 20bhp lol? Yes its a limited edition which just turned out to be not so limited. Apart from 20bhp difference what area's does an ED30 overlook the Mk6? By no means am I knocking the ED30 which was and still is an excellent car. But the Golf is an Evolution and frankly the Mk6 is better then the Mk5 whichever way you want to look at it.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2009, 02:04 by jdjd »

Offline Chins

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 10 June 2009, 08:33 »

Not owning either!!

The ED30 does have a more tuneable engine as a starting point with its bigger turbo. But there is the question of how much power can a FWD MKV Golf really deal with. Some might say 250-260 max. Others that feel it is more might be on a par driving skills wise with Mr Button :laugh: The ED30 has a bit of a marmite taste interior.

The MK6

Looks nicer
Can be tuned to 250/60
Might be able to deal with more power as it has the diff
Is 4-5 years younger design and parts wise - things evolve
Will be stiffer chasis wise
Better handler

Saying all that, if I had a year old ED30 I dont think I'd rush to buy the MK6 due to the hammering I would get on the ED30 value. if it was 2+ years old I would. In fact a guy on another forum is doing just that.

Offline jreed110

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 10 June 2009, 09:07 »
Oh dear, VWKev I'm not sure you quite understand the meaning of upgrade and your sarcasm only makes you look a bit more special. If you need it spelled out an upgrade is changing something for someting better, if you simply mean moving to a newer model then say that. How is someone with a 12 month old r32 moving to a new 1.4 golf upgrading when he's taking a pocket full of cash with him???

And like I said it is just my preference to have a Mk5 ed 30 or r32 over a current gti (although they'd have to be brand new undriven one's to be fair). Saying that I haven't driven the new gti just sat in it and read the reviews.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #15 on: 10 June 2009, 10:06 »
This is getting b!tchin !!! I LOVE IT :D

Offline Max Q

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 10 June 2009, 11:16 »

VWKev, an upgrade means moving to something better. Moving to the next evolution of a model may or may not be an upgrade, it all depends on what you are moving from and how superior (or not) the new model you are moving to is.
Mk7.5 R DSG Indium Grey 5Dr

Jkctr

« Reply #17 on: 10 June 2009, 12:33 »
Where is everyone getting the information of the mk6 being better at handling? All the reviews i have read say its not as good as the mk5 and lacks feel

The MK6

Looks nicer

Looks are subjective, i completely disagree personally

Can be tuned to 250/60
So can the current GTI

Might be able to deal with more power as it has the diff
Its electronic so might actually be less tunable as it may have a limit

Is 4-5 years younger design and parts wise - things evolve
Its near enough identical to the mk5, even more so with the newer refined models that were recently built

Will be stiffer chasis wise
Not what i have heard, i have read its a softer car.

Better handler
Again not what i have heard, a 15 minute test drive is not a good enough comparison to know either.

Oh and the mk6 would be a downgrade, i would be downgrading on looks (imo), power, handling, noise (i could go on)

I would simply have a lesser car with a different body shape and less miles; not an upgrade!

Offline Schuey

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 10 June 2009, 13:03 »
So based on the comments from the MK5 owners, none of you will ever want a MK6 GTI in the future???  :nerd:

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #19 on: 10 June 2009, 13:05 »
Nope, didn't say that. Just not at the current price lol

Although I think the Roco will be my next car, or S3. All depends how much money I have and what sort of financial state I will be in.