Author Topic: Whats the point in the MK6 GTI when there's Scirocco R  (Read 11186 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Whats the point in the MK6 GTI when there's Scirocco R
« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2009, 13:30 »
I could not see much more extras standard I guess i will have to consult my stash of leaflets, can someone say what the mk6 has extra? Off the top of my head all i see is
Highline + Tints + Armrest + MFSW. (maybe more)
but they took off flat tyre indicator + storage pack.(maybe more)
Last years mk5 GTIs had leather standard for example the new car does not.
So if you take that into account the mk6 is more expensive big time.
If you compare 2005 GTI prices, 05 basic spec £19995 v £22415 basic spec, take cost of living into account and then the reduced VAT rate, tax rate etc It still looks like a big price rise to me which ever way its cut.
When i think we paid £18446 for our new 5 door GTI in 2005 the mk6 will cost us far far more. :cry:
People often quote euro to pound as the reason, so why are other companys not doing such rises? Even companies within the VW empire?
I think the biggest shock was when i sat down and spec a mk6 GTI upto audi S3 levels. Took discount into account there was not that much of a difference  :shocked:
« Last Edit: 31 May 2009, 13:38 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Peskarik

« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2009, 17:17 »
There's an awful lot of people out there that cant wait to have a dig at the mk6 GTi.

Disagree, people aren't trying to have a dig. I think a lot of people, especially MK5 owners, are a tad disappointed at the lack of improvement made in the MK6 when compared to the MK5. I mean just look at the difference between MK4 and MK5 !

+1

Peskarik

« Reply #22 on: 31 May 2009, 17:30 »
The TTRS is better than them both too, so whats the point of the Scir R ?

The TTRS cost alot more though so it cant be considered in the same group
Price – £44,885 TTRS Roadster  :smiley:

New focus RS.

It never ceases to amaze me that people think cars are better by how many horses it can put out.

I like TTRS's five-pot for its noise as well.
But the two reviews of TTRS I've read so far are disappointing. The car goes fast, sounds great, but is no fun. Classic Audi.

Peskarik

« Reply #23 on: 31 May 2009, 17:33 »
Fair point. I suppose it's what you're used to. I'm coming from a 150 bhp diesel to a Mark 6 so the GTi seems like a revelation. It'll be interesting, though, to see what I think in 3 years time when I come to thinking about changing it. Will I just buy another or will I want more?
Only time will tell but I suspect I might want more which explains why a lot of Mark 5 owners don't seem to be in too much of a ruh to chnge to the 6.

160hp in my Volvo S40 2.0t seemed like a lot.
175hp in my Saab 9-3 vector sport seemed like more.
230hp in Edition 30 seemed like much more.
Oettinger Stage 1, 300hp/400Nm really felt like a lot more....
Not anymore.
Stage 2 here I come.

I won't buy a car with less then 300hp now.  :lipsrsealed:

Peskarik

« Reply #24 on: 31 May 2009, 17:36 »

I think the biggest shock was when i sat down and spec a mk6 GTI upto audi S3 levels. Took discount into account there was not that much of a difference  :shocked:

Mk6 is a newer car.
Still, I cannot believe what you are saying. S3 is SO MUCH MORE expensive. I took the price of my Edition 30. I looked at the price of S3 with manual transmission, 3 door (ok, there was leather and DVD), but it was almost 50% more expensive.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 01 June 2009, 00:11 »
was a bit underwhelmed by the Scirocco R and gonna hang fire to the new Golf R is out the bag

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 06 June 2009, 10:44 »
3. The boot on the Scirocco won't hold anything significant without ponsing around putting the seats down.

When I saw the Scirocco R pictures, I decided I MUST have one!!!  The main concern for me was the size of the car.  I very rarely have more than 1 passenger, so the 4 seats didn't bother me - but the boot was a worry.  I went to my dealer, and asked to test drive a Scirocco.  The only one they had was a 140 Diesel - but I explained to the salesman I just wanted to test the boot!  I took it home, and spent the next 20 minutes trying things in the boot!

Its not that the boot is small... its the opening for it has a different style... so things take a bit of practice to get in!  I managed 2 sets of golf clubs without putting the seats down, but I had to take the woods out.  Having said that, I had to take the woods out to get my clubs in my ED30 anyway.
I then managed 2 x full size Samsonite suitcases, and 1 x medium size - again with the seats up.  I occassionally pick up family from the airport, so ideally I need room for 2 or 3 people, and 2 or 3 cases.  Job done!
I then tried (with 1 seat down) my snowboard... which is 160cm long.  No problem.  Then 2 x snowboards both in HUGE carry bags.  For this I had to fold FORWARD the front seat, and put the bag right through the passanger side.  Again, I had to do this in my ED30 when me and my girlfriend went to the airport with our gear.  She had to sit behind me... but it's only a few mile trip!

So... pretty much anything I ever carried in my ED30 fits in the Scirocco the same way.  The only thing is the golf clubs took a bit of twisting.  Once you've done it a couple of times though, its second nature.  Its just because the entrance to the boot is slightly narrower.

Anyway... I went back with the Scirocco and put down a deposit for the R!  Cant wait!  :evil:

Incidently, before taking the Scirocco home, I tested the MK6 GTI to see how the DGS felt - as I've never driven a DSG car.  The car was nice to drive and felt more solid and less noisy than my ED30.  Alot smoother - but is that a good thing in a sports car?! The interior was nice and had a few changes.  The outside looks pretty much the same!  I bet you could take someone who's not totally familiar with the golf, and they wouldnt be able to tell it was a new model!  Looks more like a facelift.  I did miss the extra HP from my golf though.  If I hadn't seen the Scirocco R - would I have ordered one?  No!  I'd rather pay the same price for an S3 - even though theres a new model due next year.  I'll definately be taking the DSG on my Scirocco R though!
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline Tailpipe

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 15 June 2009, 14:04 »
For me, there are several reasons why I tend to think the Golf GTI is a better bet than than the Scirocco:

1. The Golf GTI is built in Germany. The Scirocco is built in Portugal. Nothing against the Portuguese, but the Germans know how to screw a car together better than anyone else.

2. In many ways, the Scirocco is a dumbed-down Golf: no rear hatch opening handle in rear VW badge, extensive use of previous generation Golf and Eos parts, lack of bespoke interior, lack of proper opening sun roof, lack of headroom in the front, and so on. The 'Roc just isn't as sophisticated in my book.

3. Scirocco remains a hatchback whatever you to it, not a focused sports car. So, if you're going to drive a hot hatch, you might as well drive one that offers as much practicality as the Golf: 5-doors, 5 seats, rear leg room, boot space, size of rear hatch opening etc.

4. The Golf is more subtle. It speaks quietly and carries a big stick. It's a bit of a Q car. To me, the 'Roc almost screams 'Boy racer'.

None of this is to say 'Roc is a bad car. It isn't. In fact, it is very desirable. But somehow the Golf is just more complete, more rounded and you get more for your money, even though it is more expensive.  Just my 2p's worth!
Golf R - almost on order - 5-door, DSG, Rising Blue, leather, 19" alloys, RNS510 with Dynaudio, ACC, Sunroof, Parking camera and sensors, luxury pack and cruise control.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #28 on: 15 June 2009, 15:53 »
I must admit to having a wet dreams over the Scirocco  R20T.

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 21 June 2009, 10:46 »
lack of headroom in the front, and so on

Have you actually sat in the drivers seat of one?!  I'm almost 6ft 3" tall and my head was nowhere near the roof!  I'd say theres a pretty small minority that are going to have that problem - unless they're 6ft 10" and above!  The whole car is lower to the ground - but the interior is pretty much the same size as the Golf, apart from the rear tapers in slightly - hence why there are only 2 seats in the back.  Having said that though, the 2 seats are pretty generous sized.

I got in the back (behind my drivers seat) and there was enough room for my legs - although my head was touching the roof in the back (just!)
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.